PDA

View Full Version : Dare anyone in Bradenton/Sarasota to beat me

Riosfan
12-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm back in FL for over a month. If anyone would like to play a match on clay or hard, if y ou can beat me I will pay you $10. I'm a solid 4.5.

Last year I defeated all comers with the one exception being a loss at Payne park to a top 55s player 67 06. All other challengers were beaten but there were severall classic matches and bonds made.

Sincerely yours,
Riosfan

JoelDali
12-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Why don't you beat Sammy first, then come to talk to me.

http://rgcred.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sammy-hagar-color1.jpg

larry10s
12-21-2009, 08:40 AM
if you stroll down to bollitierris academy im sure you will find as many takers to your offer as you want.

Riosfan
12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
You can't just walk in there anymore. security is tight.

OroDeSantoro
12-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Are you up for a 5.5 23 year old? If so I could use the $10

Riosfan
12-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Sure, thanks, sometime this weekend? Brea Park or those school courts nearby where Hugo Armando teaches? Thanks. -Mark mrbiofile@aol.com

smithy173
12-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Hey Riosfan what part of Jersey are you from.

Riosfan
12-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I live in Bergen county 4 miles from GWB,how about you?

OrangeOne
12-26-2009, 02:50 PM
If only the 20 hour flight would be covered by the $10... ;)

smithy173
12-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I live in Passaic County.Where do you play at in Bergan County.I played in Van Saun Park about 10 years ago.Now I play at Wayne Racket Club.

OroDeSantoro
12-27-2009, 10:27 AM
I enjoy your confidence... it's a good way to get people to challenge you.

topsltennis
12-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Come up to my club, if you beat me you don't have to pay me $70.

Riosfan
12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Dang we might have played each other, I played Van Saun about ten years ago (4.0, 4.75,5.0) and once played at Wayne Racket green clay and Tiger Tennis.

smithy173
12-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Do you now live down in Sarasota Fl.Yea we have green clay great on the knees.I also played in a 4.5 at Van Saun when Ronnie S ran the league.If you played in the spring or fall leagues we might of played against each other.

getbusyliving
12-28-2009, 09:32 PM
I want to know who won out of riosfan and oredesantoro.

Riosfan
12-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Looks like mr. 5.5 is full of bill jive.

no official challenge yet, i'm ready for him.

Riosfan
12-29-2009, 07:10 AM
"bull jive" is what was meant to say

JoelDali
12-29-2009, 07:34 AM
http://www.digitalfeedback.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/deforest-kelley-william-shatner-leonard-nimoy-and-thats-how-thats.jpg

OroDeSantoro
12-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Looks like mr. 5.5 is full of bill jive.

no official challenge yet, i'm ready for him.

Haha, I love it!

vandre
12-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Why don't you beat Sammy first, then come to talk to me.

http://rgcred.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sammy-hagar-color1.jpg

dude, no one can be sammy coz "he can't serve 55"! :twisted:

i'm off to change a bunch of "chuck norris" jokes to "sammy hagar" jokes!!!

Riosfan
12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
well what are you waiting for mr. oro.

we are ready to get down to business, no?

35ft6
12-30-2009, 03:37 AM
This is actually an awesome way to get decent players to come out and play. Win win situation. Good thinking.

Riosfan
12-30-2009, 09:02 AM
not really. a lot of views but no one is stepping up. had the same problem last year.

apparently it's human nature that most people back down when challenged.

Riosfan
01-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Three tough sets yesterday morning. Two teen sisters who are prospects. Little Mo winner, taking sets off world #400 something Kelly Liggin, etc. serious game. the one beat me 64, I beat the other 62. tremendous tennis, every point was a war at full speed. then played a set with the other guy there who had to be a 5.5, he hit the ball as hard as Ginepri. he won 62. very sore after this hard action, first top level action in three weeks. Can beat all three but it won't be easy and I have to be very sharp.

still no challengers?

JoelDali
01-01-2010, 05:38 PM
dude, no one can be sammy coz "he can't serve 55"! :twisted:

i'm off to change a bunch of "chuck norris" jokes to "sammy hagar" jokes!!!

Sammy is so much more legit than Chuck.

Sammy is the man.

http://www.cmt.com/shared/promoimages/bands/h/hagar_sammy/i_cant_drive_55/320x240.jpg

topsltennis
01-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Three tough sets yesterday morning. Two teen sisters who are prospects. Little Mo winner, taking sets off world #400 something Kelly Liggin, etc. serious game. the one beat me 64, I beat the other 62. tremendous tennis, every point was a war at full speed. then played a set with the other guy there who had to be a 5.5, he hit the ball as hard as Ginepri. he won 62. very sore after this hard action, first top level action in three weeks. Can beat all three but it won't be easy and I have to be very sharp.

still no challengers?

Sounds like a tough day

Riosfan
01-02-2010, 04:50 AM
not really. just much needed practice sets.

it's a tough day if you're one of those players who only likes to play people who you know you will beat. you know, who duck playing strangers who you know nothing about. a lot of players won't take the risk of playing a total stranger. I'm always up for any match. that's the best way to get better.

JoelDali
01-02-2010, 05:09 AM
You are a true God of tennis, thunder and Rock n' Roll. We salute thee.

topsltennis
01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
You are a true God of tennis, thunder and Rock n' Roll. We salute thee.

Probably the GOAT.

Riosfan
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
:) good one

guess i should have played humble and said I was a mediocre 4.0 with a knee brace and a bum shoulder. tough for 4.5s to get matches, especially if you take the callin people out approach.

bad_call
01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
how are the temps there now? it's darn right nippy here in CFL.

Riosfan
01-05-2010, 04:39 AM
It's cold but no problem, hits low 50s in afternoon. we used too play pond hockey in the 20s so this is easy.

bad_call
01-05-2010, 08:50 AM
It's cold but no problem, hits low 50s in afternoon. we used too play pond hockey in the 20s so this is easy.

guess i've lived in FL too long...or i'm too old...or both.

precision2b
01-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Oh man 50s sounds wonderful. 22 Looks like the high for today. Still have a foot or more of snow on the ground from 2 week ago and more on the way. A lot of peoples water froze up 3 days ago. Don't care much for the mnt. in winter... Man I love summer!!!!

Riosfan
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Two good wins down herein Sarasota. First at Payne park over a tough 4.5 lefty, two games to 11 and one game to 21. Tough solid game, big serve, flat forehand, but the backhand one hander struggled with topspin. Just recently learned how important slow topspin can be to attack a one hander on clay. This was the difference. His big serve fell apart in the clutch points. 21-15. Good action.

Then over to Bath & Racquet, win all four baseline games to 15 over a 4.5 with a different game, big topspin forehand but an off backhand which struggled with variety. But he was rusty so that was a factor. Very solid player super quick, huge forehand. Good action again. Cold can't stop tennis nuts. Who nexx?

JoelDali
01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Two good wins down herein Sarasota. First at Payne park over a tough 4.5 lefty, two games to 11 and one game to 21. Tough solid game, big serve, flat forehand, but the backhand one hander struggled with topspin. Just recently learned how important slow topspin can be to attack a one hander on clay. This was the difference. His big serve fell apart in the clutch points. 21-15. Good action.

Then over to Bath & Racquet, win all four baseline games to 15 over a 4.5 with a different game, big topspin forehand but an off backhand which struggled with variety. But he was rusty so that was a factor. Very solid player super quick, huge forehand. Good action again. Cold can't stop tennis nuts. Who nexx?

http://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0015/4955/NEXX-BACK_zoom.jpg

Riosfan
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Nice helmet Joe is that a mocycle helmet?

Good set today with a guy who once beat John Lloyd in a practice set. From Ohio he beat him as a hitting partner for Jimmy Connors first senior event which was staged in Columbus. He also hit with Borg, Tanner, Vilas. This guy got game and beat me 7-6 on hard. Big lefty serve, huge forehand, solid volleys, good backhand. Ready to roll in 35s tourney this weekend.

JoelDali
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Where are you finding all these monster tennis players?

E-Bay?

OrangeOne
01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Nice helmet Joe is that a mocycle helmet?

Good set today with a guy who once beat John Lloyd in a practice set. From Ohio he beat him as a hitting partner for Jimmy Connors first senior event which was staged in Columbus. He also hit with Borg, Tanner, Vilas. This guy got game and beat me 7-6 on hard. Big lefty serve, huge forehand, solid volleys, good backhand. Ready to roll in 35s tourney this weekend.

Is he $10 richer? :D

monkeyisland90
01-12-2010, 04:37 PM
may i ask how old you are? Only reason I ask is that if you say 40, 50, 60's I'm excited to keep playing tennis when i get older cause I thought competition dwindles while age increases and thought it was gonna be to improve health and have fun only (which isn't bad in itself)...

Also, when you posted this... i kind of chuckled because it reminds me of this comic book called prince of tennis where characters would challenge people in this sort of way and thought to myself.. man i wish this comic was more realstic... but I see that it is bit realistic now :)

but realize there's people out there declaring challenges with some incentive just like you and i like the fact human nature comes to play.. Lot of people I'm sure have competition burning in there hearts but try to put a mask on there face thinking there wanting to have fun and whatever happens happens... but usually we know there motive is to win and get that 10$ :)

Riosfan
01-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Dang gotta get a cycle so I can wear a helmet like that.
Got lucky, made a connection at Payne park with the mom of two sisters and she put me in touch wiht some of their hitting parnters. It just snowballs. Helluva a connection though, very lucky.

No I only will pay the ten spot to someone from here on TW :0 so you gotta make the challenge. Recently past 40, but actually still getting better. I move up the 35s rankings every year. and feel my game improving each year. Footspeed is still there. Started late at 30 after 15 years of hockey in college, HS. I played a guy over 55 and he beat me last year 76 60, an amazing tough player. So that is inspiring and proof that you can still be a monster player past 55. So inspired by this guy who battled on every single ball, every shot, every point. Tough tennis, amazing to play a war like that. almost 90 minute first set.

precision2b
01-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Where are you finding all these monster tennis players?

E-Bay?

<<<<<LOL>>>>>>That was a good one!!!

smithy173
01-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Would like to hit with you if you ever come back to Jersey.Just let me know.

Riosfan
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Sure smithy, we can play in Englewood or meet somewhere between wher eyou live, where is it ?

Rematch with the tough lefty who took sets off Lloyd and Tanner. This time I changed racquets and went with the heavier Volkl Korda Tour 10 over the lighter oversize Quantam 10. This time I had more power and stick in my shots and won 62 62 after losing on Tuesday 6-7. I knew the racuqet change would made some difference, the quatam 10 just couldn't generate any power. I only used it last time because I was to save the two Volkl Tour 8s for the tourney on Sat. The Tour 10 was the right one to use vs. this guy.

That score is excellent but I really didn't feel that good, felt slow and bloated from eating too much at lunch and served way too many into the net and cord. but baseline game was sharp and so were volleys. This was a great day but can play even better. Perfectly ready for tournament on Sat.

smithy173
01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
ok I live in Wayne we could play by me on the hard tru when the club opens in May or on the hard courts by you.

Moose Malloy
01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Rematch with the tough lefty who took sets off Lloyd and Tanner

was his name Andrew Rosz?

JoelDali
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
was his name Andrew Rosz?

Rosz is a righty.

http://www.professionaltennisinstruction.com/pictures/mvc-014f.jpg

Riosfan
01-17-2010, 09:29 AM
No.

Played in a 35s in Tampa and it was a small draw of only 3 players. lost first match to a clay court player who didn't miss. no power on serve but kept it deep and was very consistent on both wings wiht a two hander. I am not confident on clay because of playing 95% on hard court and could not find a way to consistently win the big deuce or break points. down 0-3 got it back to 2-3 and should have won that game but couldn't find any successful way to win big points. this guy was great on clay, never missed. and would keep it deep and high and I couldn't dictate or shoot winners. basically trying to play hard court tennis on clay.

second set I'm up 2-0 then he got back even then there was 3 duece games in a row and I lost them all. i checked out then mentaly and just chalked it up to not being sharp on green clay. tossed the racquet a few times but rationalized the loss as Oh well I'd beat him on hard court. :) Gotta give the guy credit he played excellent, consistent, tall and thin, ran everything down and passed when he had to. Just very tough to play against that when you're not on top of your clay game. Hard courts I'm ready though.

Won the second match 61 61. who nekks? $10 reward,

Riosfan
01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Wow, played a lefty stickk figure with a big forehand 61 60. Also met a player at Brea park who played at Illinois 10 years ago and is starting a comeback to competitive tennis. Super solid game, uses the old Prince graphite that Spadea used. Actually got a baseline game to 15 off him, but lost three. Just getting back after long time off. Great experience.

Still stunned no one on hear wants to play. hoo necks?

Bart
02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Riosfan! I'll be in your area (Ellenton) in the end of march. We can play some international matches - to test your pure power American hard court brainless bashing tennis against intelligent European smart clay court point construction tennis:D

Riosfan
02-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi Bart, I might be up north then in NJ. Sorry to miss your challenge. My game is not reliant on bashing, I get by on foot speed, variety, changing tactics and mixing up spins and speeds and ball height. Sounds like we'd have a 4 hour war!

atatu
03-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Any chance you'll be in Florida the week of March 15th ? I'd love to play and I'm up for a $20 bet, winner take all.....

zboy2854
03-07-2010, 12:10 PM
If you ever make your way down to Fort Lauderdale, give me a holler. I'm always game...

Zach
zboy2854@yahoo.com

bwaid88
03-07-2010, 07:10 PM
do you ever make it up into georgia? if so ill take you on for a 10 spot. i love tennis with a little something on the line :)

Sakkijarvi
03-10-2010, 10:52 AM
How "solid" can the OP? He can't afford to risk more than a measly ten bucks? He is likely not solid, nor solvent... put up at least a C note, bubba.

JoelDali
03-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Here in Humboldt County it costs $95/hr to hit with a 5.0 for an hour.

I think the OP is looking for cheap ringer hits.

SandbaggerEntrapments(tm)

Its a disgrace to misrepresent yer NTRP and engage in UnilateralSandbag(tm) challenge exploits against unsuspecting tourists or friendly talk tennis folks.

That said, I think I'll offer $15 challenges and see where it goes.

atatu
03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Here in Humboldt County it costs $95/hr to hit with a 5.0 for an hour.

I think the OP is looking for cheap ringer hits.

SandbaggerEntrapments(tm)

Its a disgrace to misrepresent yer NTRP and engage in UnilateralSandbag(tm) challenge exploits against unsuspecting tourists or friendly talk tennis folks.

That said, I think I'll offer $15 challenges and see where it goes.

$95 an hour ? Dang I paid $40 to hit with a D1 player one year out of school and I thought that was expensive...but then again you guys grow some serious weed up there, guess there is lots of money floating round...

bwaid88
03-13-2010, 04:08 PM
what happened to Riosfan? i was looking foward to taking his 10 dollars!

Inner Game
03-16-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm back in FL for over a month. If anyone would like to play a match on clay or hard, if y ou can beat me I will pay you $10. I'm a solid 4.5.

Last year I defeated all comers with the one exception being a loss at Payne park to a top 55s player 67 06. All other challengers were beaten but there were severall classic matches and bonds made.

Sincerely yours,
Riosfan

Let's see a video?....I'd love to see what a real 4.5 player looks like....feel free to visit me in Thailand.....where everyday is awesome......just take's a few days to get use to the heat. Awesome courts. I have a tough time finding anyone who is a true 4.5 to play with me....

Bring on some videos or pictures of your strokes.

Riosfan
03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
You guys just missed me. Left for Delray at end of Feb then returned to NJ. I'll play for $100. Just came up with the $10 figure to try to lure out some players but no one took the bait. I'm a 4.5 player ranked just inside the top 10 in eastern section 35s.

give a toot if you want to play in north NJ,

cheerio,

JoelDali
03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
You guys just missed me. Left for Delray at end of Feb then returned to NJ. I'll play for $100. Just came up with the $10 figure to try to lure out some players but no one took the bait. I'm a 4.5 player ranked just inside the top 10 in eastern section 35s.

give a toot if you want to play in north NJ,

cheerio,

Toot toot, I built you a cake mang. Enjoy ... :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/2960852838_11f67fe804.jpg