PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test Tips

Tikiman53
12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey guys, I'm taking my driving test in a couple of days, and I'm kinda nervous. Do you guys have any tips?

Tempest344
12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't where you are taking it so i don't know the driving laws,
Just make sure you check blind spots when changing lanes, turning etc, When you stop behind cars at traffic lights make sure you can see the rear tires in the car in front of you, If you are asked to do a 3 point turn or parallel park avoid dry-steering, they don't like it(at least here in Australia they don't) again I don't know the laws

i love t3nn1s
12-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow good luck OP. I had mine a couple days ago actually, and sadly, i failed my first attempt. Waiting for my next appointment in Jan. lol

Where do you live? Because im in california and i didnt have to do a 3 point turn, or parallel parking or any of that. But where you live you may have to, so it may be different.

Some tips i would give are 1.) DO NOT expect to pass. Im not saying that you should be all negative and all, but im just saying that dont get overconfident because if you happen to not pass, you will feel worse. At least it was like that for me. 2.) Make smooth turns, brakes, and accelerations. Gradually step on the pedal. 3.) MAKE COMPLETE STOPS at stop signs and the white lines where pedestrians cross. Dont cross the white line, and make sure to count to 3 afterstopping then go when safe. 4.) EXAGGERATE EVERYTHING. This includes looking over shoulders when changing lanes, and looking around ahead of you and scanning. Dont just stare at the road ahead. LOOK around and observe the street in front of you.
5.) Make sure to know everything. Hand signals, car operation, right of way, all that good stuff. 6.) Dont try to make yourself NOT nervous. Face it, everyone gets nervous on a dirving test at first, and it is impossible to completely not be nervous. Just do what the instructor says, and do your best. It wont be the end of the world if you fail, you just may have to wait a while.
GOOD LUCK!.

By the way, i failed because i stopped thinkning. I was at t-intersection, with a stop sign onlyon my side, and i stopped, did everything like look around and make sure no cars before making the right turn, but for some reaseon, i tried to make a turn when there was a car coming even though i knew i wasnt supposed to. Guess the nerves got the best of me.

you might wanna watch this video a couple times... its the top 10 reasons why people fail their driving tests. Really helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=297E87DA9A1025B2&search_query=dmv

ddemetrius456
12-21-2009, 03:09 AM
It's better if u specify the exact location where u are taking it. Anyways,Here are some ideas for you to consider:

1. Who you will be driving with during practice? Are they someone you respect and can take advice from, or will you get flustered or anxious with them?

2. Practice in a car with an automatic transmission and power steering. Not having to worry about shifting and awkward controls will let you focus on your driving.

3. Find a quiet area without a lot of other traffic when you first start your driving practice, even if it means going a bit out of your way. Starting in a busy area with complicated traffic signals will hurt your confidence!

4. Plan your practice routes with your mentor to ensure you get to experience all of the required traffic signs, maneuvers and traffic patterns.

5. Always bring your driving manual with you on your practice drives so that you can refer to it for any technical details that you can't recall clearly.

6. Before going on a practice drive with your mentor, imagine yourself driving and visualize what you will do in different situations and what it will feel like in the car.

7. Talk to your friends about what their driving test was like, and get a sense of what the examiner was getting them to do and where they felt unprepared.

Tikiman53
12-21-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm taking it at the Glendale DMV in Southern California

By the way,ddemetrius, did you, by any chance, copy and paste that from wikihow or something? What you posted sounded really similar to something I read before lmao

SirGounder
12-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Based on some of my friend's experiences:
-Make sure everything works (lights, wipers, signals etc.) and make sure you know where all the switches are
-Don't tell other people you are taking the test in case you fail (saves some embarrassment)
-Practice your parking. Slanted stalls are easier but practice with the straight ones.
-Make sure the music is turned off. Nothing worse than blasting the testing person with Afroman when you start up the car.
-Go practice around the DMV where you are taking the test.
-AVOID ALL CURBS - many a person fail before or while leaving parking lot.
-Relax

Based on my own experience:
-I had to back up along a curb without hitting it or getting too far away (Choose a spot on the bottom of you rear window that lines up with the curb and keep it lined up the whole time. I don't know if you are allowed to put a piece of tape there to mark it. My instructor had this on his practice car)
-I took mine in Laguna Woods (old people city of south Orange County). I got stuck behind a golf cart. Nowhere in all my manuals and classes did this come up, so I just kept my distance.
-I actually had to parallel park between 2 cars. I've only heard of one other person having to do that and they failed when they hit the curb.
-Keep both hands on wheel at all times (practice this, make it a habit because you get points deducted for it)

10s talk
12-21-2009, 04:49 PM
just learn how to parallel park, and study the driving guide most states give you.

if you have a 6th grade education you should pass the written part

Deus_Ex_McEnroe
12-21-2009, 10:23 PM
don't crash into anything?

Okay minus the trite and butt munch comment - what ppl said.

For my test we didn't have to parallel park. But had to drive backwards in reverse in a straight line. KNOW your car - emergency lights, etc. Know signs/signals with your arms.

Check mirrors always, look etc. And yep study guide. =) And relax!

i love t3nn1s
12-21-2009, 10:36 PM
DUDE... i took it at the Glendale DMV in Southern California also!!! LOL

what a coincidence... they mainly take you through residential areas. Remember, its 25 mph in residential unless posted otherwise.

westside
12-22-2009, 04:04 AM
Make sure you come to a complete stop at stop signs. Obvious i know, but you'd be suprised how many don't make the car come to a complete hault.

Also just work on judging distances from which cars are travelling from

Tikiman53
12-22-2009, 05:56 PM
haha, okay, thanks a lot guys. Wish me luck!

Tikiman53
12-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Well, I failed. In the first minute. Dammit. I was spacing out for some reason and I wasn't looking in front of me and I made a wide turn driving out of the DMV... sigh... lol

10s talk
12-23-2009, 03:08 PM
move to NY so that you can take the subway

LanEvo
12-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Well, I failed. In the first minute. Dammit. I was spacing out for some reason and I wasn't looking in front of me and I made a wide turn driving out of the DMV... sigh... lol

wow, i dont wanna laugh but, LOL, man that had to suck

Tikiman53
12-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I was ****ED but now that I look back on it, it's pretty funny. So when I walked into the DMV to sign in, I figured out that I brought everything, birth certificate, social security card, you name it, except for one fking slip of paper that said I had 6 hours of driving lessons (turns out I didn't even need my passport, birth certificate, or social security card). So the lady told me if I could make it back in 20 minutes (I live in another city), she'd let me in. So I frantically drive home, turn my house upside down looking for this damned piece of paper, find it, drive back to the DMV like mad. I was a few minutes late but she was nice and let me through. So after that huge episode, I finally get into the testing lane that everyone starts in. Tester gets in, and I show her all the buttons and whatnot. Then she tells me to exit out of the lane and make a left, "but avoid that bump!" So me being an idiot, I focused on that fking bump and for some reason tuned everything out, and I made a wide turn. Honestly, it didn't seem like that big a deal. I just backed up a bit, and was about to carry on, but right as soon as I left the damn DMV, she told me to go back in and park.

10s talk
12-23-2009, 08:16 PM
I was ****ED but now that I look back on it, it's pretty funny. So when I walked into the DMV to sign in, I figured out that I brought everything, birth certificate, social security card, you name it, except for one fking slip of paper that said I had 6 hours of driving lessons (turns out I didn't even need my passport, birth certificate, or social security card). So the lady told me if I could make it back in 20 minutes (I live in another city), she'd let me in. So I frantically drive home, turn my house upside down looking for this damned piece of paper, find it, drive back to the DMV like mad. I was a few minutes late but she was nice and let me through. So after that huge episode, I finally get into the testing lane that everyone starts in. Tester gets in, and I show her all the buttons and whatnot. Then she tells me to exit out of the lane and make a left, "but avoid that bump!" So me being an idiot, I focused on that fking bump and for some reason tuned everything out, and I made a wide turn. Honestly, it didn't seem like that big a deal. I just backed up a bit, and was about to carry on, but right as soon as I left the damn DMV, she told me to go back in and park.

next time drink a few beers and relax

westside
12-23-2009, 08:21 PM
next time drink a few beers and relax

Bit of liquid confidence never hurt anyone :D

subz
12-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Must watch "Gone in 60 seconds" before the test ...that movie has some nice tips ...

On a serious note, be calm, remember to use the mirrors and read all the traffic rules before you go for the test.

Good Luck !

Dedans Penthouse
12-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Have a couple of drinks beforehand; they'll help settle the nerves.