PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question: How are Multis when it comes to string movement/stringbreaking

dwhiteside
12-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Well, pretty straight forward question.

How does a full multi at a relatively high tension do as far as strings moving/getting misaligned compared to poly, and how quickly would it break compared to nat gut or something similar. thanks!

rogernext
12-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Well, pretty straight forward question.

How does a full multi at a relatively high tension do as far as strings moving/getting misaligned compared to poly, and how quickly would it break compared to nat gut or something similar. thanks!

volkl powerfibre 16 don't move much but they don't last long.

USERNAME
12-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I find multis to move more then any other type of string, with some brands it gets to the point where Im just plain annoyed. Also multis dont last me more then 2 matches, poly will last usually through the first half of a tourny. As for practice days, multi=1-3 and poly=5-7. Stay far away from Prince Syn Gut Multi, IT SUCKS.

ClubHoUno
12-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I AVOID full multi setups because of the softest will be too much and the string movement drive me crazy :p

I also happen to prefer a hybrid with a soft multi and a stiffer CoPoly - and They support each other perfect in my view.

So best thing to AVOID string movement is to hybrid the multi with a CoPoly, preferably with the multi in the crosses for added durability. Also use 20-45 Babolat Elastocross stringsavers, which will also further minimize string movement as well as prolong the life of the strings.

String the multi 2-3 lbs higher than the CoPoly, to also help AVOID string movement and to ALSO get a constant SBS.

downdaline
12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
I played with full X1-Biphase 16 @ 60lbs once.

Compared with gut, it moved much more in the beginning when it was still slick. After it notched a little, didnt move that much.

Breakage-wise, X1 lasted a little over a month. With gut, i got 2 months out of it.

Basically, gut is worth it. It is surprisingly durable and maintained tension MUCH better than the X1, which lost tension gradually thru 1 month of playing. If you can afford it, go for the gut.