PDA

View Full Version : String Tension For A Rocket Launcher!

edman9898
12-21-2009, 04:53 AM
I just demoed the Yonex RDS 002 Tour and loved it! It was a rocket launcher on serves and groundstrokes but my groundies were going a foot or two long. How much should I tighten up the tension?

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Dude, that racquet is a cannon. Very stable and well built, unfortunately I broke both of mine on purpose. I had them strung at 65 pounds and still had limited control. But looking back I should have thrown some Kevlars in there to tame the power. It is a great racquet. I might buy some more if they are deeply discounted.

The recommended is 55-65 pounds.

edman9898
12-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Dude, that racquet is a cannon. Very stable and well built, unfortunately I broke both of mine on purpose. I had them strung at 65 pounds and still had limited control. But looking back I should have thrown some Kevlars in there to tame the power. It is a great racquet. I might buy some more if they are deeply discounted.

The recommended is 55-65 pounds.

Looking at some of your posts we seem to think alike on several racquets and strings. This is the best serving and volleying racquet I have ever hit. I am thinking about putting a poly cross in it and trying it out.

fuzz nation
12-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Yep - definitely one of the nicer serve and volleyers around these days. I had a pair of these a while back and when I first got them in the mail, I took them right out for competitive doubles that night without getting in any familiarization on the practice courts first. They were pretty deadly players right out of the box.

I got to stringing mine in the low/mid 60's with synthetic guts, since they seemed to have too little control from the backcourt otherwise. One of my 002 T's came strung with Yonex 850 multi and that was a terrific multi for feel and durability, but much too lively for me in that racquet. I didn't keep them because I just didn't get confident with my strokes after a number of months of trial and error. I've seen more success with the Volkl C10's in that all court role - very nice from the baseline for me.

A poly in the crosses with that Yonex might work okay, but I'd say take it easy on the tension. It will probably feel more clunky not matter what you use for your mains, but I also found that I needed a rather deliberate low-to-high swing to keep my shots down on the court no matter what.