PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Elbow Or something else?

tennis_ally2009
12-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Hi, i'm a 14 year old boy who's about 5'6.
I had a break from tennis, which was roughly two month, but started playing again about 3 weeks ago.
The first time i played, i mainly used the youtek radical MP, and my right arm didn't hurt at all.
However, when i played at the same place the following day with the k blade 98, my elbow and upper arm was aching a lot. after a while, the pain went down to my hand and i could barely move it.
I decided to not play for a couple of days, but when i played next, this time with the babolat pure drive Gt (demoing rackets), there was still a lot of arm pain. since then, which was about 1 and a half weeks ago, i haven't played tennis, yet it has still hurt as much as it did when playing.
Is it tennis elbow? and if it is/isn't what should i do to treat it?
Thanks

mikeler
12-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Pain on the inside of the elbow=Golfer's Elbow (GE)
Pain on the outside of the elbow=Tennis Elbow (TE)

I've got GE and it sucks. It is very hard to stop playing but the longer you play with it, the longer it takes to heal. So my recommendation would be to stop for a few more weeks. Don't touch those sticks that caused you problems in the first place and make sure you use softer strings.

As for treatment, I've tried the cortisone pills. It worked for a little while, but once the cortisone wore off, I was right back to where I started. I'm currently doing ultrasound and electrostimulation therapy which is working well except for the fact that I keep coming back too soon. So rest is really the key.

charliefedererer
12-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Hi, i'm a 14 year old boy who's about 5'6.
I had a break from tennis, which was roughly two month, but started playing again about 3 weeks ago.
The first time i played, i mainly used the youtek radical MP, and my right arm didn't hurt at all.
However, when i played at the same place the following day with the k blade 98, my elbow and upper arm was aching a lot. after a while, the pain went down to my hand and i could barely move it.
I decided to not play for a couple of days, but when i played next, this time with the babolat pure drive Gt (demoing rackets), there was still a lot of arm pain. since then, which was about 1 and a half weeks ago, i haven't played tennis, yet it has still hurt as much as it did when playing.
Is it tennis elbow? and if it is/isn't what should i do to treat it?
Thanks

As Mikeler posted, rest for now is the key.
After the pain has subsided and you can do daily activities without discomfort, it would be helpful to start some physical therapy to strengthen the forearm muscles. This traditionally has involved exercises like wrist curls, but recent interest has included the relatively new Flexbar. Of course therapy is best done under medical supervision.
The return to tennis should be slow, with very short hitting sessions gradually increasing in length and intensity. Be sure there are no problems in your technique that could be putting a repetitive strain on your arm. Avoid stiff frames and stiff strings. Be sure the grip is the right size. Too light a racquet will not be able to dampen the shock waves, and too heavy a frame could be straining your arm.

jimanuel12
12-21-2009, 06:58 AM
best advice -- rest, rest, rest the arm.
if you continue to play, you wil re-injure the arm
rest and lay off tennis for now for awhile
go to a heavier, less stiff racket and your arm problems will not return.

86golf
12-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Specifically where is your pain? All down your arm from elbow to hand? Could be a nerve issue. Typically GE or TE is the inflammation of the epicondyle (those round 'ish bones on the inside and outside of your elbow). Tendons that connect the muscle to the bone get inflammed when overused or stressed too much. Do a search on youtube (lateral epicondylitis) and you'll be able to see exactly where this is. Also do a wiki search on it. I'd go see a doctor though to be sure you don't have a nerve entrapment or impingement. Do you have numbness?

tennis_ally2009
12-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah i do have some numbness in the central area of my elbow, and i probably will go see a doctor.
However, for the past few days, the pain has subsided slgithly, and there hasn't been as much pain as before.
Still, i am going to wait until after christmas to have another hit.
Thanks for the advice

mike53
12-21-2009, 10:09 AM
What is your ratio of service strokes to ground strokes? Are you a serve and volley player?

tennis_ally2009
12-21-2009, 10:13 AM
i used to never go to the net, but now i have started serving and volleying a lot more. :)

mike53
12-21-2009, 10:34 AM
A service intensive game has the potential for more arm problems. How long have you been playing tennis? Can you estimate your total hours on the court per week/month/year?

tennis_ally2009
12-21-2009, 12:53 PM
well, before i took a small break for two months i was playing around 3-6 times a week. this can vary from 5 to 14 hours as i played a lot in the summer and spring. i have been playing for about 3 years, and strted going into tournaments about a year ag.

mike53
12-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Alright. So you are in good condition and we wouldn't suppose that taking a 2 month break would cause an overuse injury so equipment is the logical culprit. We need to find a combination of frame, strings and string tension that allows you to play without pain.

Talk to your doctor and do what he says (if anything) to make sure your arm doesn't fall off.

Next, make sure you have 100% range of motion relatively pain free through your arm and shoulder.

Buy yourself some theraband and some 2-5 lb soft weights and move your arms through their entire range of motion with light resistance several times daily.