PDA

View Full Version : Ankle pops or cracks near achilles

86golf
12-21-2009, 07:54 AM
On a regular basis 2-3X per week, my right ankle, just above my heel will get kinda stiff and painful, but I can do a calf stretch, hear my ankle "pop" and the pain goes away. Sorta like a chiropractic manupulation of the back but right near my achilles. Should I be concerned? This has happened during a change over and I had to wait until my ankle popped before I could continue to play. Happens a lot at night. I have not seen a MD about this, but it has been going on for about a year.

Anyone else have this happen?

escii_35
12-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Heh,

You are getting old chummer start stretching every day twice a day. Oh, and the muscles are probably out of balance from possibly biking?

LeeD
12-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah, both my ankles pop audibly when I first get up and when I first start to excercise. But so do both knees.
And both shoulders.
Just a sign of lots of usage.
Worst is when I hit right handed forehands, and the outside of my right elbow POPS loud enough for the peanut gallery to hear... :shock::shock: Good for a laugh, and then no more right handed forehands..:oops:

FuriousYellow
12-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Geez, you must be young.

I have popping in my ankle, knee, shoulder, neck, and middle of my back.

Maybe that's where the word "Pops" came from to describe us older guys.:rolleyes:

86golf
12-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the replies, I think. Yeah, I never had any of these issues until I turned 40. What about the pain issue? My ankle pops all the time, but a few times per week it feels like it is locked up and is painful. Once it pops, I'm good to go.

I'll try to do more stretching.

dwhiteside
12-24-2009, 01:12 PM
I have this SAME thing, I'm 21 and it started about 6 months ago... sometimes I can't 'pop' it and get the relief of it feeling normal and it hurts for a few hours whenever I put pressure on it, very disconcerting...

LeeD
12-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Before you pop it, does it really hurt or does the feeling seem more "stiff" and unresponsive. Maybe sore.
I equate "hurt" and pain to what a tib fib break in 13 places feels like, and that one, you cry, pass out, and get totally debilitated, no chance walking or talking coherently.
Even a broken collarbone (I've broken the two four times) is not painful, but is swollen, buzzing, stiff, not moveable, but not painful.
A sprained ankle is "painful" and hit hurts.
Do you really feel it hurts that badly?

86golf
12-26-2009, 06:08 AM
Before you pop it, does it really hurt or does the feeling seem more "stiff" and unresponsive. Maybe sore.
I equate "hurt" and pain to what a tib fib break in 13 places feels like, and that one, you cry, pass out, and get totally debilitated, no chance walking or talking coherently.
Even a broken collarbone (I've broken the two four times) is not painful, but is swollen, buzzing, stiff, not moveable, but not painful.
A sprained ankle is "painful" and hit hurts.
Do you really feel it hurts that badly?

The pain is such that, if it happened during a match and I wasn't able to pop it, I would default....but I wouldn't rush to the doctor. I can normally pop it by pulling up on my toes like doing a calf stretch. Only happens in right ankle and only happened a few times during a match.