PDA

View Full Version : Max times to string a racquet before replacing it?

CrispyFritters
12-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Is there a general rule of thumb for how many times a racquet can be strung before it should be replaced? Like...50 times? 100 times? infinite?

AND - even if the racquet is still structurally functional, will lthe repeat stress on the frame (from stringing) noticeably change the way it plays?

Richie Rich
12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
the structural changes on the racquet due to restringing are very small and are very gradual. you likely won't notice unless you hit with an older frame that has been restrung 100's of times and then immediately hit with a new frame.

you still have people playing with 20 year old racquets, right? :wink:

pow
12-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Being a recreational player, I would only replace a racquet if it cracks. No point in blaming lost points my racquet. More stiffness does not equate to better not that you'd feel it anyways since the whole process is gradual.

CrispyFritters
12-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the perspective. With a new string, I'm on track to restring abotu 25 times per year...vs about 4 times/ year in the past.

ClubHoUno
12-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I have 8 racquets in rotation and only play twice a week year round.

String the racquets I have with VS Natty gut Hybrids after 12 hours of playing time/or after the strings break - and that means maybe 4-6 times a year.

The racquets I have strung with CoPoly and Prime Multi, I string more often - maybe like 10 times a year.

I know I restring more often than most people I know, and I think you could do this for 5+ years without even being able to tell if the racquet was brand new or used.

ManuGinobili
12-21-2009, 07:24 PM
If your main point is "should we string a racket as few times as possible", I don't think it matters. You hit thousands of balls between stringjobs and thus hitting contributes the most stress on the racket, not stringing.
You might be able to notice a loss in playing characteristics of a racket after as early as 2 years - normally it's increased vibration and less comfort.

KenC
12-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Today's racquets are very tough. They will easily last 5 years or more with average play. The only thing tougher than today's racquets is our absolute addiction to ultraconsumerism that dictates we continue to buy the "new and improved" racquets as soon as they come out. In other words, chances are your current racquets will be replaced long before they have any structural damage.

Funny thing is the Pros don't switch racquets every time a new and improved version comes out. Maybe they know something we don't.

Deus_Ex_McEnroe
12-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Today's racquets are very tough. They will easily last 5 years or more with average play. The only thing tougher than today's racquets is our absolute addiction to ultraconsumerism that dictates we continue to buy the "new and improved" racquets as soon as they come out. In other words, chances are your current racquets will be replaced long before they have any structural damage.

Funny thing is the Pros don't switch racquets every time a new and improved version comes out. Maybe they know something we don't.

Well they are also pro's =) Different level and focus, it's their life. Professionals anywhere don't like change with what works. Esp on that level, where they don't have time to adapt much - look at what happened to Djokovic when he went to Head; definitely had an impact on his play for a bit. He switched for monetary reasons; that is main reason Pro's switch... OR of course what they use isn't cutting it - and they need a change or boost (behind the times). But top pros like Nadal and Fed ain't gonna drastically change anything =)

I'm nitpicking your point; =) I do think sometimes we can put too much emphasis on the technology and not ability/work/form --- but it's also fun to geek out on this stuff too =) Before I lost my job and stringer I knew moved I was looking forward to testing new string setups and stuff.

bigmatt
12-22-2009, 05:13 AM
When I was playing every day, I'd get through about 6 months with a frame before it started feeling "soft" to me. These days, it's about a year.
Stringing regularly stresses the fibers in the frame more than anything else (except slamming it into the netpost). Some players are more sensitive to this than others, but when you feel like you're swinging well and the ball's not doing much, it may be time for you to get some new weapons.

xHBvi3tbOix
12-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Well they are also pro's =) Different level and focus, it's their life. Professionals anywhere don't like change with what works. Esp on that level, where they don't have time to adapt much - look at what happened to Djokovic when he went to Head; definitely had an impact on his play for a bit. He switched for monetary reasons; that is main reason Pro's switch... OR of course what they use isn't cutting it - and they need a change or boost (behind the times). But top pros like Nadal and Fed ain't gonna drastically change anything =)

I'm nitpicking your point; =) I do think sometimes we can put too much emphasis on the technology and not ability/work/form --- but it's also fun to geek out on this stuff too =) Before I lost my job and stringer I knew moved I was looking forward to testing new string setups and stuff.

From what I gather I think hes always used a Head racquet, they just pj, the nblade and kblade pj on his old head racquet. I think its the same thing w/ the speed pro. (correct me anyone if i am wrong)