PDA

View Full Version : Jimmie Johnson-NASCAR Driver-Athlete of the Year.

jamesblakefan#1
12-21-2009, 09:57 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gjzazqedJdJp0IxgBe_jdjgCYBDQD9CNQ7D80

Ugh. What a joke. I could name 10-20 guys with better claims to Athlete of the Year than a freaking NASCAR driver. NASCAR is NOT A SPORT! Car drivers aren't athletes. Ridiculous.

Serendipitous
12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gjzazqedJdJp0IxgBe_jdjgCYBDQD9CNQ7D80

Ugh. What a joke. I could name 10-20 guys with better claims to Athlete of the Year than a freaking NASCAR driver. NASCAR is NOT A SPORT! Car drivers aren't athletes. Ridiculous.

This is a known fact.

jamesblakefan#1
12-21-2009, 02:45 PM
This is a known fact.

Yes it is.

chanee
12-21-2009, 02:48 PM

Car drivers aren't athletes. Ridiculous.

So Formula 1 is not a sport too?

El Diablo
12-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Racing drivers are part of a team and the disparities among the various teams in quality of equipment design and execution are such that a driver often has an enormous adantage as a result of his "ride." Makes it very hard to evaluate him as an "athlete."

jamesblakefan#1
12-21-2009, 02:58 PM
So Formula 1 is not a sport too?

In an athletic sense, no. The equipment does 90% of the work. Horse jockeys are more athletic than racecar drivers.

Claudius
12-21-2009, 03:00 PM
It's a sport where you turn left for four hours.

chanee
12-21-2009, 03:03 PM
In an athletic sense, no. The equipment does 90% of the work. Horse jockeys are more athletic than racecar drivers.

I wouldn't exactly say that. You have to be incredibly fit to drive those things. The G forces they encounter while in he driving seat is quite substantial.

SuperFly
12-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Bring me the A**-KICKING BOOTS!

meowmix
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't exactly say that. You have to be incredibly fit to drive those things. The G forces they encounter while in he driving seat is quite substantial.

Then why don't they award it to the men and women serving in the US Air Force? I'm pretty sure the guys flying the US's planes experience a heck of a lot more G's than Nascar drivers... and they do it all the time too.

jamesblakefan#1
12-21-2009, 07:15 PM
What a slap in a face to real athletes, to give this award to a freaking car driver. CAR DRIVERS are NOT athletes. And no matter how much ESPN tries to shove it down our throats, NASCAR is not a sport. It's a lot better for him to look good when he has the best equipment, best teammates (Gordon & Martin), etc in the sport. Hendricks is borderline monopoly, and damn near single handedly killing NASCAR. Not to mention Johnson has the charisma of a rock. Total BS to give this award to a car driver.

Someone, explain one athletic aspect of car driving, when a man damn near his 50s can come out of retirement and nearly win the championship, a fat slob (Tony Stewart) is one of the faces of the 'sport', trust me, NASCAR is not a sport.

Serendipitous
12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
What a slap in a face to real athletes, to give this award to a freaking car driver. CAR DRIVERS are NOT athletes. And no matter how much ESPN tries to shove it down our throats, NASCAR is not a sport. It's a lot better for him to look good when he has the best equipment, best teammates (Gordon & Martin), etc in the sport. Hendricks is borderline monopoly, and damn near single handedly killing NASCAR. Not to mention Johnson has the charisma of a rock. Total BS to give this award to a car driver.

Someone, explain one athletic aspect of car driving, when a man damn near his 50s can come out of retirement and nearly win the championship, a fat slob (Tony Stewart) is one of the faces of the 'sport', trust me, NASCAR is not a sport.

Don't feel bad, lol.

Poker is a sport according to ESPN.

I guess ESPN isn't really a sports channel anymore. :(

maddogz32
12-21-2009, 07:56 PM
i wonder how much of an athlete you have to be to drive a car.

This guy looks like an athlete too, i think he could be in the running next year.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Xazy0jNiGgw/SUsZwHiXhnI/AAAAAAAAAss/Pr60OmKX39s/s400/fat+man.+car..jpg

JIMMIE JOHNSON IS A GREAT ATHLETE!!!!!!

PSYCH

jamesblakefan#1
12-21-2009, 10:00 PM
YO JIMMY I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU, IMMA LET YOU FINISH, but ROGER FEDERER IS ONE OF THE GREATEST ATHLETES OF ALL TIME!!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2531/4204870871_45f66796f8_o.jpg

OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!

(Sorry if that sucks, I'm really no good at photo editing. Maybe they should name me athlete of the year. :p)

chanee
12-22-2009, 04:04 AM
Lewis Hamilton FTW!

http://i46.tinypic.com/5voubn.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2d13j8p.jpg

Sorry, just had to include Scherzinger! :twisted:

aphex
12-22-2009, 04:09 AM

i have no clue about NASCAR, but F1 drivers are some of the best, fittest athletes in the world.

shazbot
12-22-2009, 05:56 AM
i have no clue about NASCAR, but F1 drivers are some of the best, fittest athletes in the world.

You can be very fit and be an athlete, that doesn't make the activity you are doing a sport.

jamesblakefan#1
12-22-2009, 10:45 AM
You can be very fit and be an athlete, that doesn't make the activity you are doing a sport.

Exactly. Have you seen Carrot Top lately? That guy's pretty fit. And I'm sure all those props he uses takes a lot of effort. We should name him Athlete of the Year for 2010.

http://sportsmaven.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/carrottop-at-2007-all-star-weekend-2-17-07.jpg

Wait, he actually plays real sports. Maybe he can't win the award then. :lol:

Kevin T
12-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm more upset by the fact that Tiger was named athlete of the decade. I'd say the athleticism to drive a race car or swing a golf club is pretty similar. These guys are skilled but not necessarily athletes. I don't think Tiger can dunk a basketball. I seriously doubt he runs a 4.4 40yard. He never played competetive football or soccer.

chrisplchs
12-22-2009, 01:04 PM
The funny thing is that NASCAR leads all professional sports in the US in attendance. He deserves it. It is an amazing accomplishment to do what he does

jamesblakefan#1
12-22-2009, 02:19 PM
The funny thing is that NASCAR leads all professional sports in the US in attendance. He deserves it. It is an amazing accomplishment to do what he does

Winning 4 in a row still doesn't make him an athlete. I'd be ok if the award was titled sportsman of the year, most accomplished of the year, but athlete of the year? He's not an athlete. The car does the majority of the work. I guarantee you if he wasn't on Hendricks, if he was on some lesser team, he wouldn't be winning championships. The equipment is the reason he wins. He's not an athlete.

CCNM
12-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Does driving a race car really qualify as being an athlete? I love auto racing but I think there's more athleticism in golf. :)
Anyway, congratulations Jimmie J.

chrisplchs
12-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Winning 4 in a row still doesn't make him an athlete. I'd be ok if the award was titled sportsman of the year, most accomplished of the year, but athlete of the year? He's not an athlete. The car does the majority of the work. I guarantee you if he wasn't on Hendricks, if he was on some lesser team, he wouldn't be winning championships. The equipment is the reason he wins. He's not an athlete.

So you're saying if you were driving for Hendricks, you would be winning championships?

Being on Hendricks doesn't make one a championship driver. Heck it doesn't even make you a competitive driver, #88

samej07
12-22-2009, 05:41 PM

I'd say theres a pretty big difference in F1 driving and NASCAR driving. The G's F1 drivers subject themselves to taking hairpin turns at 60mph have to be insane, where as NASCAR drivers run all but like 4 races on super speedway ovals where they never hardly let off the gas. its almost 1 big turn (exaggeration, I know). The physicality is has to be totally different. Im no F1 expert, but needless to say, I've never seen an F1 driver that had the girth of Tony Stewart or the age of Mark Martin that was still competing at the top level.

thalivest
12-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm more upset by the fact that Tiger was named athlete of the decade. I'd say the athleticism to drive a race car or swing a golf club is pretty similar. These guys are skilled but not necessarily athletes. I don't think Tiger can dunk a basketball. I seriously doubt he runs a 4.4 40yard. He never played competetive football or soccer.

I agree. It is ridiculous these guys who participate in such unathletic sports are somehow winning awards as "best athlete". They deserve huge praise and credit of course. They are simply amazing at what they do, essentialy the activities they excel at, probably the greatest of all time at those activities participated and watched by so many around the World. However those activites barely scrape the surface of a true "sport".

thalivest
12-22-2009, 07:05 PM

In fairness he is the best driver out there by far. In some stupid hypothetical they all had the same team cloned and the exact same car I am pretty sure he would be the one to beat. Still I agree with all you said pretty much.

davey25
12-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Jimmy Johnson is a legend. He has achieved in Nascar what no man in history has.

Shaolin
12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Don't feel bad, lol.

Poker is a sport according to ESPN.

I guess ESPN isn't really a sports channel anymore. :(

Do you even know what ESPN stands for?

ENTERTAINMENT and Sports Programming Network.

Poker is entertainment. ESPN has never said its a sport.

I agree NASCAR is not a sport. It should be officially classified as "mindless activity".

Serendipitous
12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Do you even know what ESPN stands for?

ENTERTAINMENT and Sports Programming Network.

Poker is entertainment. ESPN has never said its a sport.

I agree NASCAR is not a sport. It should be officially classified as "mindless activity".

Oh, I didn't know that, lol. I'm such an idiot.....:)

Whoops, never mind! :)

dropshot winner
12-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Jimmy Johnson is a legend. He has achieved in Nascar what no man in history has.

And what did he achieve in Nascar what no other man in history has? Did he once turn the steering wheel to the right? :D

99% of all people outside the states haver never heard of him, including me.

Dedans Penthouse
12-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Someone asks you: last year's Wimbledon men's winner? Easy: Fed

Ok, who here can name last year's A.P. "male jock" award winner :?:

That sucker ranks right up there with the ESPY's. ;-)

davey25
01-01-2010, 03:54 AM
And what did he achieve in Nascar what no other man in history has? Did he once turn the steering wheel to the right? :D

99% of all people outside the states haver never heard of him, including me.

Winning the Seasons Drivers title 4 years in a row.

jamesblakefan#1
07-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Someone asks you: last year's Wimbledon men's winner? Easy: Fed

Ok, who here can name last year's A.P. "male jock" award winner :?:

That sucker ranks right up there with the ESPY's. ;-)

Once again JJ is nominated as an 'athlete', Best Male Athlete at the ESPYs this year. Among Brees, Kobe, LeBron, and Pujols, a freaking car driver is selected. Instead of a Federer, Nadal, Bolt, a racecar driver.

I know the ESPYs are a joke and meaningless, and I know ESPN is so far up NASCAR's arse it's not even funny, but once and for all, car drivers are NOT athletes! Thank you.

JohnnyCracker
07-08-2010, 03:04 AM
the ESPY award...hahahaha...:lol: the actual winning prize is a biggo piece of paperweight...
what's next? NBC weatherman of the year award? USA Network B-movie of the year? HBO best actor award? Weather Channel most awsome forecast of the year award? :mrgreen:

ProgressoR
07-08-2010, 03:59 AM

They are fit people and drivers, not the same as athletes.