PDA

View Full Version : Roddick sign with Lacoste offical now

nn
04-21-2005, 02:19 PM
http://www.andyroddick.com/news_detail.php?news_id=2054

check out his website... which shoes he will wear...as of now Lacoste has no proper tennis shoes in market...

baselinebrawler
04-21-2005, 02:32 PM
He might stick with the MatchDays for now since Reebok made them specifically for him.

nn
04-21-2005, 02:52 PM
If Lacoste can't make one shoes for Roddick when they are paying $5 million to him per year that will be awful marketing..

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 03:07 PM
If Lacoste can't make one shoes for Roddick when they are paying $5 million to him per year that will be awful marketing..

No, we would be lucky. Saved from being forced to see Roddick at official events in suits, ties and sneakers.

Jill
04-21-2005, 03:08 PM
He's most likely going to wear Babolat shoes, according to Tennis Week - they're starting a shoe line. I don't think Lacoste makes tennis shoes, do they?

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 03:12 PM
What An Idiot Why Did He Ditch Reebok?? I Perosnally Think Reebok Has A Greater World Wide Market

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 03:13 PM
He's most likely going to wear Babolat shoes, according to Tennis Week - they're starting a shoe line. I don't think Lacoste makes tennis shoes, do they?

I wouldn't know. Lacoste has the most unnerving site in sports goods. Can't get a clear catalog, just damn flash images running around.

Jill
04-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't know, either. But this is what tennis week is reporting

"By Tennis Week
04/18/2005

Andy Roddick may put his feet in the hands of a familiar partner. Sources have told Tennis Week that Roddick, whose five-year shoe and clothing contract with Reebok will not be renewed when it expires on May 1st, will sign a shoe deal with his racquet company, Babolat.

Babolat is launching a new shoe line and Roddick is the company's most recognizable racquet endorser."

So either his Lacoste deal doesn't include shoes (which I would doubt) or they don't make tennis shoes. I heard somewhere that Grosjean still plays with Nike shoes even though he wears Lacoste now... so, I dunno.

SaritaUTHorns
04-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Babolat already has shoes, so this won't be the first time. As for Lacoste, supposedly they have one or two tennis shoes, but they're not very good according to people who have tried them.

Fee
04-21-2005, 03:38 PM
No, LaCoste does not make tour level tennis shoes. All of their current male athletes (Clement, Grosjean, Younes) wear whatever they prefer, and I think most of them wear Nike.

Jill
04-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Babolat already has shoes, so this won't be the first time. Oh ok, well maybe they're coming out with a new line and Andy will wear them now that he's free to. I don't know, I just posted what Tennis Week did.

Thanks for clarifying, Fee :)

I'm looking forward to seeing what Lacoste will design for him.

SaritaUTHorns
04-21-2005, 03:49 PM
No, LaCoste does not make tour level tennis shoes. All of their current male athletes (Clement, Grosjean, Younes) wear whatever they prefer, and I think most of them wear Nike.

The athletes who are signed with lacoste don't wear their shoes because they're not very good, but they do exist. Very hard to find, but they exist. So you're right, they're not tour level, but they're out there. And I bet Andy's Babolat shoes will be very cool :D

DashaandSafin
04-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Lacost shoes do exist but honestly, they suck. The alligator just does not look good on a shoe. Also now people who wear Lacoste are going to be called a Roddick poser now(me). Seriously, just because i wear Lacoste or Reebok does not mean im a Roddick poser.

raftermania
04-21-2005, 04:12 PM
What An Idiot Why Did He Ditch Reebok?? I Perosnally Think Reebok Has A Greater World Wide Market

Learn the facts before you judge. Roddick got dumped by Reebok.

DashaandSafin
04-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Which is kind of dumb...now what are they? A garbage brand really no one wears reebok anymore.

Prince_of_Tennis
04-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Can't wait to see Roddick in his Knit Lacoste shirts...

Jill
04-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Learn the facts before you judge. Roddick got dumped by Reebok.hmmm depends on who you ask. According to SFX (Andy's agency), he chose not to resign b/c they would not offer him enough money.

goober
04-21-2005, 04:36 PM
I have seen Lacoste tennis shoes online. They sell for $99, but they look like they are not very sturdy and I doubt they are "serious" tennis shoes.

rafael
04-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Now hopefully he won't "look" like such a clown on the court. Lacoste at least makes good looking clothes.

AAAA
04-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Now hopefully he won't "look" like such a clown on the court. Lacoste at least makes good looking clothes.

You touch upon a peripheral but interesting point. Will Lacoste design a Roddick line of clothing that oozes french elan and joie de vivre and will Roddick want to or be happy wearing it? Or will Lacoste in a departure from their usual design ethos be inspired and influenced by Roddick's old Reebok attire, that is design something that does not bear the hallmarks of classic Lacoste? The third option is to dress Roddick in current off-the-peg garb.

goober
04-21-2005, 05:42 PM
You touch upon a peripheral but interesting point. Will Lacoste design a Roddick line of clothing that oozes french elan and joie de vivre and will Roddick want to or be happy wearing it? Or will Lacoste in a departure from their usual design ethos be inspired and influenced by Roddick's old Reebok attire, that is design something that does not bear the hallmarks of classic Lacoste? The third option is to dress Roddick in current off-the-peg garb.

Given that Roddick was willing to wear that Reebok Camo gear at the US Open, I pretty much think he will wear whatever they give to him to wear. :D But Lacoste will undoubtedly not stray far from its roots. I can't see anything that is not classic and understated given how all their other clothes look.

I would assume they would make a new line for him given how much $$$ they are sinking into him.

Marius_Hancu
04-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Roddick has signed IMO a contract which can be very favorable for him, long term, if he could hold to it. He could be long retired as a pro and still advertising their stuff in the US, and to people which don't know too much about tennis.

This is the advantage of signing with a company which is somehow more in apparel than in sports.

Now, on the other side, the hard core sports community might be somehow disappointed by his choice, i.e. by him going "fashionable."

AAAA
04-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Given that Roddick was willing to wear that Reebok Camo gear at the US Open, I pretty much think he will wear whatever they give to him to wear. :D But Lacoste will undoubtedly not stray far from its roots. I can't see anything that is not classic and understated given how all their other clothes look.

I would assume they would make a new line for him given how much $$$ they are sinking into him.

Can you imagine a large, green crocodile print on a white polo shirt?

joeman957
04-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Lacoste... nice clothing brand, but the majority of the time I can't even tell that they are wearing it. Tatiana wears Lacoste and I didn't even know it, the clothing line has that tiny croc that is only visible on close ups. Yeah, great marketing strategy, those guys don't even make shoes! They are stupid for paying Roddick a bunch of money to wear their clothes, no one will even notice.

The two companies with the best marketing designs are Adidas (if you see the stripes, you know what brand it is) and Babolat (it's not hard to spot a Babolat racket).

nn
04-22-2005, 07:14 AM
very well said joeman957.. you are spot on..

Jill
04-22-2005, 07:47 AM
They are stupid for paying Roddick a bunch of money to wear their clothes, no one will even notice. Yes and no... it was sort of big news for Andy to leave Reebok, considering he had been with them since he was 10! So I'm sure when Roland Garros rolls around, the US commentators will make a mention of it - boom advertising for Lacoste. Plus, they will probably use him in print and perhaps even tv ads like they did with Clement. He's one of the more visible and recognizable stars on the tour all over the world, and especially in America. I don't see how this could possibly be a stupid move on Lacoste's part unless Andy's game deserts him and he plummets down the rankings or something like that.

johnkidd
04-22-2005, 08:33 AM
I think Lacoste made a great move. Look at all the threads this topic has spawned on this board.That's free marketing before the contract was signed. If Lacoste (and Babolat for shoes) want to lauch their lines in the US what a better person to have endorsing you then Roddick? He's always one of the feature players on ESPN and US Open coverage.

edge
04-22-2005, 08:43 AM
It's a good move for both. I guess Nike didn't need him with Fed, Agassi, Hewitt, Nadal, Sharapova in thier stable. Roddick will look classier with the Lacoste apparel. He probably didn't sell much of the Reebok crap which didn't warrant Reebok paying him what he wanted. Wow, when you are a big US tennis star, you've got the world by the short and curlies.

tennisToad
04-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Reebok had to part ways with him. after that computer throw-up shirt crap they had no choice.

I can see it now,,

Reebok ceo walking down hall, looks at poster on wall sees that crap with reebok logo on it. He has two options. Fire the guy whos' stupid enough to wear it, or resign and get out before someone on the board sees it and blames him. Guess giving up the corporate jet is to much.

@wright
04-22-2005, 10:15 AM
I'd much rather wear Lacoste than Reebock. Lacoste makes more classic looking stuff than the damn subway map camo trash...I'm a little surprised they'd want him, but at least we won't have to see that ugly Reebock garbage.

baseliner
04-22-2005, 11:11 AM
I think you are all missing a big point. What shoe will AR wear Babolat or Lacoste. Andy needs to talk to Martina Hingis about the advisability of wearing an off brand shoe in the rigors of pro tennis.

Jill
04-22-2005, 03:05 PM
I think you are all missing a big point. What shoe will AR wear Babolat or Lacoste. Andy needs to talk to Martina Hingis about the advisability of wearing an off brand shoe in the rigors of pro tennis. We're not missing a point - his shoes have been discussed. He will most likely wear Babolat shoes, they are launching a line according to Tennis Week. He's had problems with arches in his feet and whatnot, and he has one of the best trainers out there in Dougie Spreen. I don't think he'll be stupid and wear crappy shoes.