PDA

View Full Version : Buying strings on a budget?

Kaz00
12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
what strings do u guys recommend?? i like the babolat pro hurricane and pro hurricane tours but moneys a bit tight so im looking for a string that plays like the hurricane tours but is a little bit cheaper i was thinking about buying a reel of kirschbaum super smash Spiky 16 and its also 95 bucks! way cheaper than a reel of pro hurricanes!

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
what strings do u guys recommend?? i like the babolat pro hurricane and pro hurricane tours but moneys a bit tight so im looking for a string that plays like the hurricane tours but is a little bit cheaper i was thinking about buying a reel of kirschbaum super smash Spiky 16 and its also 95 bucks! way cheaper than a reel of pro hurricanes!

I would give MSV Focus Hex a try. I haven't tried it myself yet, but from what I've heard from others, it's a softer co-poly that is hexagonal in shape, much like Pro Hurricane Tour. Don't know how plays compared to PHT, but it is definitely softer. Haven't seen it in a reel yet, but it's priced at $7.50 a set, about half the price of PHT. Kirschbaum is also another good string to look at, as you've mentioned. I recommend you buy a set of MSV and a set of Super Smash Spiky to try out before you buy it in bulk. Hope you find your new string!

CallOfBooty
12-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Hands down, the string that has the most playability for the buck is definitely Cyber Flash. You just can't beat it! Cyber Flash full job or in mains w/ gosen syn gut crosses is just amazing! :)

BigT
12-21-2009, 07:49 PM
PolyStar has exceptional strings/prices and won't break your arm like Pro Hurricane/Tour. My customers prefer them.

ClubHoUno
12-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Cyberflash or MSV HEX are the strings you should consider if on a low budget.

Good strings for the price.

schap02
12-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Pro SUpex Blue Gear - If you liked the Hurricanes you'll love these.

Kaz00
12-22-2009, 08:27 AM
^ thx for the suggestions guys! ill look into each string and pick the best ones!

lwto
12-22-2009, 10:06 AM

I string on a budget also, and I found that using Babolat Pro hurricane hybrid with Forten sweet 17 produces and great combo at about $ 6.50 per string job.

half set of Hurricane 5.00
half set of Forten 1.00

Cheap, but I haven't found a better combo yet, I"m very pleased with the results and in fact a number of my friends now use the same combo.

blaby
12-22-2009, 05:46 PM
pro supex ftw

Lakers4Life
12-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Cheapest Poly by the reel for me goes:

Topspin CyberFlash
Volkl Cyclone
Gosen Polylon (cheepest)

Revman
12-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Hands down, the string that has the most playability for the buck is definitely Cyber Flash. You just can't beat it! Cyber Flash full job or in mains w/ gosen syn gut crosses is just amazing! :)

Ditto on this!

COPEY
12-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Cheapest Poly by the reel for me goes:

Topspin CyberFlash
Volkl Cyclone
Gosen Polylon (cheepest)

I have a reel of Polylon (lots of people like it - pretty popular with the people I string for), but I've been wanting to try Cyberflash and Cyclone. What's interesting is Cyclone is cheaper to buy by the set.

ReopeningWed
12-22-2009, 11:28 PM
My personal setup is Isospeed Baseline Speed/Topspin Cyberflash. The Isospeed is a really soft, slick string, I string it at mid 50s, the Cyberflash I string up to the mid 60s, high 60's. $40 and ~$60 for both reels, which is 33 sets of string if hybrided.

CHOcobo
12-22-2009, 11:54 PM
cyberflash/blue. string those polys at a low tension and they'll let you a hell of a long time. the reels of these are pricey but much much cheaper per string set.

Ash_Smith
12-23-2009, 01:16 AM
Check out the Mantis Power Poly too. I've been trying this out over the last few days and it plays really well, not too disimilar to Alu, but at a fraction of the price!

Kick Server
12-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I agree with Ash Smith. In my opinion the entire MANTIS range wins by miles. Superb playability and even better value for money!
I have no idea why anyone would pay elevated prices for a 'known' brand when this is available.

COPEY
12-23-2009, 06:51 PM
So like...where do you buy Mantis strings? I did a google search and came up empty.

The_Question
12-23-2009, 06:55 PM
i like the babolat pro hurricane and pro hurricane tours but moneys a bit tight

Is it just me, or are these strings are actually very different from each other...? :confused:

Doc Hollidae
12-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Try Topspin Concept Pure. I felt like that was the closest string to PHT, minus the octagonal shape. 90 bucks a reel.

mark999
12-24-2009, 11:43 AM
So like...where do you buy Mantis strings? I did a google search and came up empty.

goggle-mantis tennis strings. many sites come up.