PDA

View Full Version : Scenarios for Woodrow in last week's club clay tournament

mikeler
12-22-2009, 07:03 AM
1. In singles, my friend hit a ball that he thought caught the line. His opponent went up and looked at the mark and said it was definitely out. Before my friend could walk up to the net to take a closer look, his opponent wiped out the mark with his shoe!

2. Same friend is playing doubles. His partner serves and comes in and puts away a floater. No call was ever made. Their opponents claimed the ball was out. When asked to produce the mark, they could not. Still, the opponents would not yield the point.

3. Same friend is playing doubles. His partner serves and comes in to put away a floater. The returner yells back, so his partner just catches the ball with his hand and goes back to hit a 2nd serve. The other team claims the ball was in, he was just telling his partner to step back because of the bad return.

Kostas
12-22-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm not Woodrow obviously but I think there's not much you can do about 1 & 2...the call is theirs to make. I guess it would be up to your club as to whether a request for a mark is grounds for reversal etc but I would think that their call stands.

#3 is kinda awkward...play a let? Not sure.

JavierLW
12-22-2009, 08:10 AM
3. If they catch the ball they lose the point. (unless it's already bounced out)

Kostas
12-22-2009, 08:29 AM
3. If they catch the ball they lose the point. (unless it's already bounced out)

Yeah but the opponents who are responsible for line calls yelled "Back!"...which is a common word for calling a serve long...this is really fuzzy. I'm interested in Woodrow's thoughts.

mikeler
12-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah but the opponents who are responsible for line calls yelled "Back!"...which is a common word for calling a serve long...this is really fuzzy. I'm interested in Woodrow's thoughts.

Exactly. I should mention that this was a club tournament but I think they were going by USTA tournament rules. Not 100% sure though.

ibeeskeef
12-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I cannot point to the exact reference but I do know that you are not allowed to yell words that are common for line calls during a point. These include back, out, long, wide, etc. The team that makes the call loses the point. Most people play it as a let but according to the rules it should be a lost point. We actually had this happen recently in a tournament. I hit a good volley and the guy was forced to throw up a weak lob. My partener was getting ready to hit an overhead and the guy that hit the weak lob yelled "back". He was warning his partner but my partner and I both stopped on the play because we thought he was calling my volley back. The offical ruled it our point because of a verbal hindrance.

The first two scenerios are bush league but not against the rules. Common courtesy says you will show your opponenet a mark on clay court but it is not required. Actually, even if you request a mark the opponent is not required to show it to you and you are never allowed to cross over the net to the opponents court to examine a mark. It is their call and unless there is an official nearby you are at their mercy.

OrangePower
12-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I cannot point to the exact reference but I do know that you are not allowed to yell words that are common for line calls during a point. These include back, out, long, wide, etc. The team that makes the call loses the point. Most people play it as a let but according to the rules it should be a lost point. We actually had this happen recently in a tournament. I hit a good volley and the guy was forced to throw up a weak lob. My partener was getting ready to hit an overhead and the guy that hit the weak lob yelled "back". He was warning his partner but my partner and I both stopped on the play because we thought he was calling my volley back. The offical ruled it our point because of a verbal hindrance.

Not sure on this. Closest I could find is this following from the USTA rules Q&A:

"Q. When I hit the ball I make some noise. Once, during a USTA tournament my opponent lobbed the ball over my head and it landed "in". I got to the shot and when I hit the ball I made a noise. She thought I called it out when I made the noise. She wanted to redo the point but itís not fair for me. I won the point and her shot was definitely in! I didnít call it out! Should we redo the point?

A. If you make a loud sound during the point that distracts your opponent, you ought to offer them the option of playing a let. Our sport is governed by the honor system and you always need to be respectful toward your opponent. If she honestly feels that the noise you made was an ďoutĒ call, then she has a right to ask that the point be replayed."

Seems like a similar scenario. Opponents made a sound that the player interpreted as an 'out' call and therefore stopped playing the point. Above seems to suggest that this should be a let.

ibeeskeef
12-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't know if it makes a difference but in my scenerio there was no doubt that "back" was called. It was not me interpreting a grunt or yell and thinking it was called out. It was very loud and clear so we were awarded the point. We were also in a clear position to hit an overhead winner when he made the call so that may have factored into the official's decisions as well.

mikeler
12-22-2009, 11:03 AM
The 1st scenario two people can argue about marks all day but it is the person's call whose side it is on. The 2nd scenario since there was neither an audible or visible out call just after the serve seems like it should be the server's point. The 3rd seems like an intentional hindrance so I would think the returners should lose the point.

kylebarendrick
12-22-2009, 12:24 PM
If the "back" call was made at about the time the serve hit the ground (or, obviously, a little later), then it would be reasonable to assume the player had called the serve long.

If the back call was made after the receiver hit the ball, then they could claim a hindrance since you aren't supposed to yell anything when the ball is headed towards your opponents. So since your friend's partner didn't play the ball (they caught it), they can claim the point due to the hindrance.