PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Groundstroke Video

Kostas
12-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok guys as a follow up to my original thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=302798) here is another video.

Same hitting partner. The night started off crappy as I popped a string on my 3rd forehand of the warmup. My backup racquet is at my stringer already so I had to play with this babolat instead. It's a full ounce heavier than my stick and 2 inches smaller in headsize. The grip was also smaller too but I wasn't going to let something like that keep me from hitting.

Overall it was a pretty ****** night. I made tons of errors and eventually just stopped recording. I think it may give me some weird complex.

Anyways - here's the new video of me. I think my forehand definately looks better than last time although I still struggle with positioning some. My follow-through looks a lot better as I think I was baby'ing it in my first video.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

I'm not planning on recording myself for a little while. I think I want to work on what we talk about here for a bit then I'll probably get a new video in a month or two.

As always all thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

First Video Last Week (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP-dDPxnLX0)
Second Video Last Night (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5p9YlBQYYA) - you may want to turn down the volume on this one...there's an annoying humming sound that I didn't hear when I was editing it. My apologies.

Ripper014
12-22-2009, 08:27 AM
I didn't want to comment the last time but I will provide some input now...

Your backhand looks pretty good for the most part... what I would suggest is that you take some ques off that shot. You have good extension through the ball off that side... I am not sure why you do not do the same with your forehand. You do it occasionally but more often than not you hit with a windshield forehand stroke that I don't think does you justice, and it is harder to time. You can generate topspin by having your racket face moving from low to high... you don't need to flip your wrist.

As for you slice/chip whatever you want to call it... hit through the ball and don't think so much down, also at contact... your racket should be more square and not so open. The path of the racket travels from high to low that will generate the underspin... not the open face. The open face just makes the ball go up.

LeeD
12-22-2009, 08:29 AM
OK, you still have the tendency to move your body back as you hit forehands. Not every time, but considering you're hitting against a girl who's pushing it soft and deep, you shouldn't move back as you hit.
The fact she hits deep does make it harder for you to look good. Tell her to hit harder and shorter, and you'll look much better.
Your slice backhand is really a work in progress. It'll come around.
Your backhand is obviously better this vid, good for you. I wonder if the long prep will work for return of fast serves on that side.
You hit GREAT for 2 years of practice.

Kostas
12-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Why didn't you want to reply last time Ripper?

I've also noticed the discrepancy between my extension on my backhand side and my forehand and I don't know why it seems so different to me. A fully extended arm on my forehand just feels awkward, which may be contributing to my "chicken-wing" forehand.

I also agree that I hit that windshield wiper way too much.

I worked on my slice a bit last night (didn't get it on video) and it needs alot of work. That's one of my main goals for next year.

Yeah LeeD, she does put alot of pressure on me to move back on those high deep balls which isn't doing me any favors although I still should be getting into proper position for those.

My backhand return of serve isn't bad actually. I can shorten my stroke and drive through a return provided it isn't coming in at 90-100mph (which they usually don't at my level).

Like I said I'm going to concentrate on practicing for the next month or so and then I'll post another vid.

86golf
12-22-2009, 08:46 AM
I think your strokes are fine and footwork is good too especially for 2 yrs. You should be doing well at 3.5 level and could probably play higher.

On the forehand, the only thing I would recommend is to clear your non hitting arm out of the way during your stroke. This makes you look even more jammed, it is typically middle of your chest at contact.

Take look at Murray here and you'll see his non hitting arm rotate around and eventually catch the racquet (sometimes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYWhoDDE2Q

What was the pixel setting and mbps of this video?

Ripper014
12-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Why didn't you want to reply last time Ripper?

It just seemed you were getting a lot of advice and I didn't want to add to the confusion.

I've also noticed the discrepancy between my extension on my backhand side and my forehand and I don't know why it seems so different to me. A fully extended arm on my forehand just feels awkward, which may be contributing to my "chicken-wing" forehand.

You actually do it occasionally... you will follow through until you cannot reach anymore and then the arm hinges over your shoulder. The first forehand you hit in the video is pretty good... the second well....... no comment.

My backhand return of serve isn't bad actually. I can shorten my stroke and drive through a return provided it isn't coming in at 90-100mph (which they usually don't at my level).

Ya... I figured you would be able to shorten the backswing and be ok with your backhand, it is mostly about timing... and seeing that you don't have issues hitting your backhand off the rise... I figured you would have this under control.

Kostas
12-23-2009, 10:17 AM
I think your strokes are fine and footwork is good too especially for 2 yrs. You should be doing well at 3.5 level and could probably play higher.

On the forehand, the only thing I would recommend is to clear your non hitting arm out of the way during your stroke. This makes you look even more jammed, it is typically middle of your chest at contact.

Take look at Murray here and you'll see his non hitting arm rotate around and eventually catch the racquet (sometimes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hYWhoDDE2Q

What was the pixel setting and mbps of this video?

Golf - I checked my camera and the default FPS is 60 but I can switch the operating mode to "Smooth Slow" which allows me to record 3 seconds at 240 FPS and play back at 12 seconds. I played with this last night and it was pretty cool. I will be recording some of my shots this way in the future.

I'm not sure about the pixelation but it says it's a 12megapixel camera - but that may be for still shots only.

LeeD
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Did I notice the few times you went wide to retrieve a backhand, your topspin shot leads you to the sideline on your followthrus? Not good. Better to stop, hit, and return of intersect on your court.
But still, you hit great, and move OK.

Kostas
12-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Did I notice the few times you went wide to retrieve a backhand, your topspin shot leads you to the sideline on your followthrus? Not good. Better to stop, hit, and return of intersect on your court.
But still, you hit great, and move OK.

I'm not sure. All of my backhands in this video are here. It looks like that as part of my follow-through I step out with my left foot to bring me square with the court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YN8X_tsyVw

I don't know if this is a bad thing on shots that I have to move to my left on as my momentum is taking me that direction but I also do it on shots that I don't have to hardly move for so maybe that's something I can work on.

Roger brings his left foot around on some of these shots but he also stays very compact on shots he gets set up for in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhaxKLMDW7s&feature=related

Am I overhitting the shots or am I just off-balance a bit?

LeeD
12-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Roger is mostly hitting WINNERS.
You are hitting rally balls.
Roger steps out, but his torso doesn't continue moving towards the sidelines.
Your whole body keeps moving out towards the sidelines after you hit.

Kostas
12-23-2009, 11:46 AM
So should all (or the majority) of my backhands be constructed with my lead (right) foot being planted as opposed to a pivot like in my first shot in this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKlX9Yg6N54

86golf
12-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Golf - I checked my camera and the default FPS is 60 but I can switch the operating mode to "Smooth Slow" which allows me to record 3 seconds at 240 FPS and play back at 12 seconds. I played with this last night and it was pretty cool. I will be recording some of my shots this way in the future.

I'm not sure about the pixelation but it says it's a 12megapixel camera - but that may be for still shots only.

Thanks. You know you are going to cause me to buy a new camera! I'm uploading my first video now, not of me but of Sonia Mirza practicing at the Family Circle cup. I want to see how the quality compares to your camera. 240fps is sick.

Kostas
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks. You know you are going to cause me to buy a new camera! I'm uploading my first video now, not of me but of Sonia Mirza practicing at the Family Circle cup. I want to see how the quality compares to your camera. 240fps is sick.

Heh...funny it's of Sonia...my wife is from India and her sister (my 5.5 hitting partner in my videos) used to play against her in Juniors...beat her as well.

Ripper014
12-23-2009, 01:53 PM
So should all (or the majority) of my backhands be constructed with my lead (right) foot being planted as opposed to a pivot like in my first shot in this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKlX9Yg6N54

I like you backhand overall... but I think you would do better to step forward into the ball rather than to the sideline with your right foot.