PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm a chronic string breaker

Kostas
12-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Hey guys - I'm relatively new to tennis and I'm having tons of trouble with breaking strings.

My racquet is one of the new Wilson Team Tour FX models with the quad-shaft neck.

I have been hitting with Wilson Reaction strings - which I like a lot - but I go through them like crazy. I only get 4 or 5 sessions before they pop on me and that's WITH using teflon string savers.

My string just put me on what he called "Roly Poly" which look to be much thicker and durable. They didn't fray like the Reaction, however, I popped those last night after only about 4 or 5 sessions as well.

I hit a semi-western forehand with a medium amount of topspin, but my first and second serves are basically kickers which generate alot of spin.

So I like having some bite to my strings but this is getting expensive and ridiculous.

Any advice as to what I should try as far as strings? I'm not too concerned about the cost but I'd like something that lasts for a while.

I'm also considering getting into stringing myself as my wife plays as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I usually string pretty tight 55-63lbs. I'm going to experiment with some lower tensions as well.

marsh
12-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Have you tried a poly?

I'm in Memphis as well, any interest in playing sometime?

Kostas
12-22-2009, 08:09 AM
I think the one I just broke was a ploy "Roly Poly"?

Sure I'm always looking for people to hit with. I'm a 3.5 guy so if that's not too low for you I'm game!

marsh
12-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Just sent you an email about playing.

Where are you getting your racquets strung? I've never heard of Roly Poly. I would find out exactly what was used to string your racquet than come back to these boards and ask for a more durable option. You also might consider increasing the guage (going from a 17 to a 16, etc.).

mikeler
12-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Try a Big Ace 16 hybrid with a 16 gauge synthetic gut. That would last me about 10 matches before the Big Ace would snap. You may also want to try Prince Pro Blend which is Kevlar in the mains and synthetic gut in the crosses.

dantesinferno18
12-22-2009, 09:00 AM
here is the roly poly http://www.sptennis.com/strings.asp

looks pretty cheap

mental midget
12-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Try a Big Ace 16 hybrid with a 16 gauge synthetic gut. That would last me about 10 matches before the Big Ace would snap. You may also want to try Prince Pro Blend which is Kevlar in the mains and synthetic gut in the crosses.

problend is tough stuff, for sure. played that stuff all through juniors, was the only string i could count on not to pop at any given moment.

mikeler
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
None of my suggestions are "arm friendly" either.

Kostas
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok I'm going to try the Problend. The customer reviews are pretty mixed. It appears you either love it or hate it.

I've never had any arm or elbow problems and I'm not crazy about having little or no "feel" but we'll see how it goes...if I don't like em - I'll try something else.

Thanks guys.

mikeler
12-22-2009, 01:22 PM
With poly and Kevlar you get a very muted feel. It's odd at first but you adapt after a few sets.