PDA

View Full Version : Best Of The Rest???

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Currently A.ROD AND AGASSI are the top American players who have made the breakthrough at Grand slam level.

The next tier of Americans are attempting to make a breakthrough into the top 20. Which of the following American players do you think is most talented and likely to make some impact in the future: Dent, Ginepri, Blake, Fish, Donald Young, Scoville Jenkins, Bob Reynolds.

Personally I think James Blake seems to have the talent and commitment required to make a late breakthrough. He has had some good results of late, considering hes injuries last yr and is capable of dictating opponents with hes forehand.

counterpunch
04-21-2005, 05:52 PM
suprisingly dent has shown he has a chance to break into the higher rankings. he has had some good results recently. i do agree that blake does have the talent, but im unsure of whether that will actually materialize into any good results. its too early to tell about donald and scoville though.

Max G.
04-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Dent doesn't seem to have the potential to turn a couple of nice results into a year-long streak of them. Note that despite his "nice results" he's yet to win a tournament this year...

fleabitten
04-21-2005, 07:54 PM
I agree with counterpunch. Dent, to me, seems to be the strongest of that group. With his serve and volley game he can cause considerable frustration with players unacustomed to dealing with s&v!

The Bryan brothers are making significant contributions to tennis (I know you meant singles, but you never came out and said it! :D )

gugafanatic
04-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Blake just def Depuis 6-4 6-1 ( won 9 games in a row,2-4 down in first set).

James begin to justify hes potential with good results.

Jill
04-21-2005, 08:08 PM
James has this utterly fantastic new lease on life and it seems to be allowing him to play feely and loosely. If he's doing this well on clay, he should really make a killing come the hardcourt season where he has like zero points to defend from last year. He is a fantastic person and deserves a string of good luck after what he went through last year. Can't think of a nicer guy on the tour.

As for actual talent, I think Fish has the best tennis game (better than Andy's, even) but his head is a bowl of mush, he hasn't won 2 matches in a row since the Olympics last August, his ranking is dropping like a fly, and his new coaching team is not working so well. He's got all the weapons and a nice all-court game to be a top 20 player but he can't put it together with his head. Very disappointing.

Taylor is simply not fit enough, he is always hurt or injured. I guess he's started working harder on his fitness, but he keeps getting hurt. I mean the kid has what, 3 top 10 wins this year already? He can obviously do it, he just has to stay healthy.

I don't know enough about the much younger ones (Young, Jenkins, etc.) to really comment.

Fee
04-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Out of that group, I still think Robby has the most raw talent, but he may not ever develop it. Mardy has shown that he can play some really sweet tennis (think back to the Cincy final he played against Andy a few summers ago), but I wonder if he is disciplined enough to sustain a Top 20/Top 15 ranking for any period of time. If Taylor could get in shape and stay healthy, he would be scary. James seems to have the drive and discipline now, so I would bet on him to have the best results this year.

Too early to tell on Sco, Reynolds, Young, etc. (for me anyway).

Jill
04-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I wonder if he is disciplined enough to sustain a Top 20/Top 15 ranking for any period of time.I wonder, too.... and the more time passes, the more I doubt it :( I was hoping the new coaching team would work, but, it hasn't so far.

jrtennisjunkiejr
04-22-2005, 11:57 AM
In my opinion James Blake has the determination and the skill level to be a top 20 top 15 and eventually a top 10 player. Robby Ginepri in my opinion has no buisness being on tour. Same goes to Jan-Michael Gambill. Mardy Fish...he is really inconsistent with his play. Hopefully he can step it up this year. Donald Young is flat out amazing. He is 15 and lefty and number one in the world for juniors. This kid has untapped potential and talent. In 5 years he will be top 10 on tour. Bobby Reynolds is another guy who has major talent and ability and in a few years he will be amazing.