PDA

View Full Version : Tension for VS Gut ?

psb1nxt7
12-22-2009, 08:41 AM
I just bought three packs of VS 15 Touch for 25$ each. Before I was using champions choice (on a discount from my coach from wilson), after playing 4 matches in one day I think the Alu Rough was getting to my arm. I'm going to try to string one of my raquets with full VS 15 Touch. What should I string it at? In the champions choice I strung the gut at 60 and Alu Rough at 58. Should I go even higher than 60? Insight is very appreciated, thanks.

ClubHoUno
12-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I'll copy & paste my answer to a guy asking pretty much the exact same question on the same day as you:

You have to try different tension levels first and then decide what's best for your game and your elbow & shoulder.

I would recommend trying full VS 16 (in your case VS 15L) NATTY GUT @ 60 lbs MAINS & 62 lbs CROSSES first.

If that's too tight, go 58 lbs MAINS & 60 lbs CROSSES. On the other hand, if you feel It's too lose, then go 62 lbs MAINS & 64 lbs CROSSES.

I always string the crosses a bit tighter to AVOID string movement and to get better control.

psb1nxt7
12-22-2009, 09:28 AM
It seems like you know alot about natural gut, if so do you think there is a noticeable differnce in the durability of 16 and 15 VS?

ClubHoUno
12-22-2009, 10:01 AM
It seems like you know alot about natural gut, if so do you think there is a noticeable differnce in the durability of 16 and 15 VS?

I've only used the VS 15L Natty GUT in the crosses, so can't comment on its durability as a main string.

But I can say this to you - VS NATTY GUT IS FAR MORE DURABLE THAN WHAT MOST EXPECT IT TO BE !

When you hybrid Natty GUT with a multi or poly, the gut often is the one cutting into the other string !

You lose a GREAT deal of spin and feel from using the VS 15L TOUCH, and I would strongly suggest, you try to use the VS 16 TOUCH in the mains first, then see how durable it is for you.

If it breaks too fast, buy a couple of Babolat Elastocross stringsaver locks and install 25-45 around the sweetspot and see how much more you now get out of it - the string savers will stiffen the stringbed somewhat, but will at the same time make the durability 2-3 times better, than before. Trust me on this.

If it STILL breaks too fast, then go for the thicker 15L gauge version.
But you lose feel and touch, when going to the thicker 15L gauge.

If you would try full VS GUT, then I would suggest Trying VS 16 TOUCH MAINS AND VS 15L TOUCH CROSSES for added durability, while still keeping the feel from the thinner 16 gauge mains.

parasailing
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
With 16Gauge, I get about 4 hours before they start to fray in the mains and then snap. With 15G, it lasts twice as long but does not play as lively as 16G.

I agree with ClubHoUno in regards to Babolat string savers extending the life of the string. Using these definitely stiffens the string bed so you might want to string it a couple pounds lower and then add the the string savers.

raygo
12-22-2009, 03:10 PM
...But I can say this to you - VS NATTY GUT IS FAR MORE DURABLE THAN WHAT MOST EXPECT IT TO BE !

^^This. I was shocked at how much longer gut lasted than I expected it to...I thought it would snap in less than an hour because it was so 'fragile.' Gut may actually be more cost effective than some of the ~$20 multis, especially if you're using a hybrid. Just don't play in the rain, then it WILL break quickly.

I'm now using Tonic 15L, but never had durability issues with the VS 17 I used before. String savers add exponentially to the life of gut.

JavierLW
12-22-2009, 06:30 PM
I just bought three packs of VS 15 Touch for 25$ each. Before I was using champions choice (on a discount from my coach from wilson), after playing 4 matches in one day I think the Alu Rough was getting to my arm. I'm going to try to string one of my raquets with full VS 15 Touch. What should I string it at? In the champions choice I strung the gut at 60 and Alu Rough at 58. Should I go even higher than 60? Insight is very appreciated, thanks.

60 and if you want it firmer you can load it with string savers. (which also will help keep the string from shreading itself)

scotus
12-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Yes, go higher.

If I were you, I would start my experiment at 65 lbs.

This will help you control your shots, and you won't have to cut out an expensive set of gut just because it lost tension.

If it feels too tight, just let it sit, or you could even step on the string bed a bit (at your own risk).

For your information, I string my VS Team at 72 lbs. If I were to play ALU, I would string it at around 56 lbs in a hybrid with gut.

ClubHoUno
12-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes, go higher.

If I were you, I would start my experiment at 65 lbs.

This will help you control your shots, and you won't have to cut out an expensive set of gut just because it lost tension.

If it feels too tight, just let it sit, or you could even step on the string bed a bit (at your own risk).

For your information, I string my VS Team at 72 lbs. If I were to play ALU, I would string it at around 56 lbs in a hybrid with gut.

What tension would you string the VS Natty GUT @ in a hybrid with Alu @ 56 lbs ??
I try not to have larger gaps in tension between crosses and mains than maximum 4 lbs and better 2-3 lbs.....

And how many playing hours do tour get out of your full VS 17NATTY GUT SETUP ?

I experiment with 2 PSGT LIMITED right now with full VS 17 (MAINS @ 58 CROSSES @ 60 lbs - But I use PLENTY of stringsavers so that will up the tension by 2 lbs at least)

scotus
12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
What tension would you string the VS Natty GUT @ in a hybrid with Alu @ 56 lbs ??
I try not to have larger gaps in tension between crosses and mains than maximum 4 lbs and better 2-3 lbs.....

And how many playing hours do tour get out of your full VS 17NATTY GUT SETUP ?

I experiment with 2 PSGT LIMITED right now with full VS 17 (MAINS @ 58 CROSSES @ 60 lbs - But I use PLENTY of stringsavers so that will up the tension by 2 lbs at least)

I have gone up to 12 lbs of difference between mains and crosses without any ill effects. But of course, keep in mind that you should only do these things with your own frames. As far as I am concerned, if any of my frames should be damaged, I can simply replace it. It doesn't hurt to have 6 of the same frames like I do.

I almost never use a full gut setup, but I cross the gut mains with a soft poly or multi.

My current setup is VS Team at 72 and Lux M2 Pro at 66 lbs.

By the way, I am not a big fan of string savers. I used to use a whole lot of them when I first started using gut. But I grew out of it. Now I only put them in places that are fraying significantly.

Dreamcastin
12-23-2009, 12:29 AM
I typically play luxilon alu power rough in the mains and gut in the crosses at 55lbs. im thinking of trying it the other way around to get some added feel, i was thinking about starting off with 58lbs on the gut and keeping it at 55 for the lux. think this is a good starting point. one other thing to note, the gut i use in the crosses is typically 16 gauge and im thinking of using 17 for this experiment to help with spin as im not a string breaker.