PDA

View Full Version : Guess the player by his racquet

antontd
04-21-2005, 04:59 PM
here are mine:

Pure Drive - Baseline basher; powerful and inaccurate serve.
Any Volkl - Over 40 man; good strokes and volleys; lack of powerful serves
PS 6.0 85 - Sampras wannabe or Old school player; All-courter

nViATi
04-21-2005, 05:37 PM
well my friend is a doubles player and uses babolat pure drive. he is a good volleyer though and uses 2 hand backhand volley.. so you can't really classify people well by racquets.

SaritaUTHorns
04-21-2005, 05:41 PM
I agree with nViATi. You can't classify a player by their racquet that accurately. Sure, some racquets are suited for S&V and some are better for baseliners, but to say things like "Pure Drive-powerful and inaccurate serve" isn't always correct. I know plenty of people with accurate serves who use pure drives.

antontd
04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
yeah, yeah, it's a game, people. There are obviously exceptions. I'll put it this way: What would you imagine about the player if you know his racquet only?

efice32
04-21-2005, 06:10 PM
ok, even though I agree that you can't classify a player by his racket, I'll play along:

Babolat AeroPro Drive: Nadal wannabe/heavy topspin baseliner

Redflea
04-21-2005, 06:29 PM
I'll bite...all done in fun of course.

PS 6.0 85: Traditionalist/masochist. Still drives old BMW 2002 in spite of it being 80% car, 20% rust and requiring weekly service, wears desert boots, believes the only good Dylan was pre-electric Dylan.

Pure Drive: Sheep. Likes Top 40 radio, follows all poll (political & consumer) results closely for trends to follow, watches "Entertainment Tonight" for daily news update.

Any Volkl: Europhyle. Imagines self winning Wimbledon or French Open, disdains "That showy American tournament w/all the planes," drinks Evian or Perrier bottled water, still uses the term "French Fries."

:-) Fun! (Lucky for me Yonex wasn't included.)

antontd
04-21-2005, 06:45 PM
:-) Fun! (Lucky for me Yonex wasn't included.)

Any racquet IS included. nice imagination, man :)

ffrpg
04-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I have yet to see a decent person down here who plays with the Pure Drive.

Pure Drive - Roddick wannabe. Trys to hit winners off of everything. Also attempts to hit aces on every serve. Typically has a two handed backhand.

raftermania
04-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Gamma Big Bubba

Player has long, fast strokes with amazing control on all shots. Laser-like accuracy when hitting passing shots. Usually a serve and volley player who loves to employ angle instead of power.

Mies
04-22-2005, 01:04 AM
I'm 26 years old (as of today :) .....) and play with a Volkl tour 10 MP gen II.
I have one of the fastest serves on the club, if not the fastest. So your generalization doesn't really hold :) ........ Then again, I'm the only male playing with a Volkl in my 650 ppl club .......so....I guess I'm the exception

Regards

BreakPoint
04-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Then again, I'm the only male playing with a Volkl in my 650 ppl club

Hmmm...I'm very surprised. I would have guessed that Volkl, being a European brand, was more popular in Europe. Is this a wrong assumption?

What are the most popular racquet brands in your country?

spinbalz
04-22-2005, 01:33 AM
For Redflea,

- Yonex : Handled by a girl :lol:

louis netman
04-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Antontd, generally speaking, you make accurate assumptions. There will always be exceptions. For example, women with tattoos have been known to generally be more promiscuous than non-tatoo bearing women. Then, one
research-ignorant woman will try to refute this basic generality by stating that she's a virgin and has a tatoo on her right breast....
BTW, I play with Volkls, but really desire playing with my old Precision Response Tis. However, they hurt my previously injured, over 40 arm......

ferrari_827
04-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Babolat Pure Drive: follow the herd type mentality, middle of the road

PS6.0, POG: Traditionalist, conservative, stubborn, set in ways

Fischer, Volkl: Middle-aged, European sensibilities, not as conservative as the 6.0/POG users, but conservative neverthe less

Head Prestige Classic/IPrestige Mid: Energetic, likes life in the fast lane, achiever

RDX500, Prince Diablo: On the wild side, free-spirited, hedonistic

ProKennex: Nonconformist, independent,

raftermania
04-22-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm 26 years old (as of today :) .....) and play with a Volkl tour 10 MP gen II.
I have one of the fastest serves on the club, if not the fastest. So your generalization doesn't really hold :) ........ Then again, I'm the only male playing with a Volkl in my 650 ppl club .......so....I guess I'm the exception

Regards

Happy Birthday!

jediknightdan
04-22-2005, 01:16 PM
me doubles partner uses a PS 6.0 85 he is a All-courter and he kills me every day

thejackal
04-22-2005, 03:27 PM
North American player using a HPS 6.0: me ;)

nw tennis
04-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Babolat PD +:
Overhitting, hard-hitting teenage boy with double-fisted backhand - probably also wears Reebok clothing, but pondering how he will convince his parents to buy him new Lacoste clothing line.

Any 90 square-inch or smaller frame that weighs more than 12 oz, but mainly referring to the nCode nSix-One Tour 90:
Either a serious college-level player or a 3.5-4.0 NTRP-rated guy convinced he can succeed with this advanced frame; knows he probably would play better with a tweener, but wouldn't be caught dead on the public courts with one; has to be able to tell all his friends and those on these message boards that he uses a "players" stick.

Any frame priced over $200: Upper-class man or woman, always wears matching shirt and shorts or skirt, drives a Denali or Escalade, has taken up tennis only in the last 1-4 years, lacks proper mechanics, only knows how to slice a backhand. Oh, and buys a new $200 frame every year.

Any Yonex:
Either a die-hard Hewitt fan, a European clay-courter, a woman or the writer of this post.

04-22-2005, 05:10 PM
The PD thing is kind of funny. While there are exceptions most of the ppl i have met using them meet your guys descriptions. My description would be: inconsistent, tries to kill the ball, no touch, wears a trucker hat. Now that i think about it, most of the people i know using them are heavier set guys and women.

Redflea
04-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Yonex: Pink-cheeked die-hard Hewitt fan or fossilized die-hard Navratilova fan, believes square racquet head goes nicely with their own square head.*

*That last part was added by my wife...geez, it hoits when your own family turns against you...see if I ever let her borrow my mid again! :-)

POGO
04-22-2005, 05:18 PM
POG/PS 6.0=
Old school, players usually all court players, serve and volley, very traditional players.

Babolat=
Baseliners, heavy topspins as choice of groundstokes, big bashers wild and rebelious players, they younger players mostly.

Head Radicals/Prestige=
No nonsense players, these players are varied in their playing style and don't conform to anyone. The badboys/badgirls of the bunch.

Volk/Fischer=
Sophisticated players, traditional like the POG/PS6.0 players, but a little more classy. All court players and serve and volley players.

Yonex=
The unsung heros, underdogs and players are fiesty. Varied style of players, from baseliner to serve and volley. Racquet has the most character of all, and easily identifiable of the bunch due to its headshape. Yonex has the best looking women in thier side like being in the playboy mansion ;)

Noveson
09-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Wow played with the Pd and loved the spin....You guys have almost talked me out of it. Is there anywhere else I can get that spin.

Any red wilson: Federer wannabe

superstition
09-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Less than 75 square inches: Someone who almost never plays tennis and got a racquet at a garage sale, or old folks who play the rare wood tournaments. Kids whose parents gave them hand-me-downs.

75 square inches: Likes angles and control so much that he will sacrifice the ability to volley back hard shots and return hard serves with spin. Is either very dedicated to improving his game, or wants to show off.

85-90 square inches: Likes angles and guile over brute strength, and usually prefers the small head to pin-point serves. May be too fanciful with strokes and makes errors along with impressive shots.

Midplus thin beam: Less flair than the small-head players, unless the person uses a one-handed backhand, and then it is pretty but unreliable or weak. Solid groundstrokes that favor topspin.

Midplus normal beam: A solid game with even less flair, but more power. A big serve, if the person is young. Favors topspin almost exclusively.

Midplus thick beam: Hits the ball hard, but has a mediocre two-handed backhand and tries to always use the forehand. Makes errors.

Oversize thin beam: Older player who isn't all that great, but refuses to buy a new racquet, realizing that a new racquet probably won't change their game much for the better.

Oversize thick beam: Female players who go to tennis shops and want the big, light, expensive, and powerful racquets the clerks always tell them to get. Oldies. Beginning male players who want the same thing and don't yet realize that such frames aren't much fun.

Super-oversize: ..shudder... I actually know a very good player who uses the biggest Weed frame. Lol.

(I'm just playing along. These generalizations are really not very accurate.)

The Dampener
09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Babolat PD +:
Overhitting, hard-hitting teenage boy with double-fisted backhand - probably also wears Reebok clothing, but pondering how he will convince his parents to buy him new Lacoste clothing line.

Any 90 square-inch or smaller frame that weighs more than 12 oz, but mainly referring to the nCode nSix-One Tour 90:
Either a serious college-level player or a 3.5-4.0 NTRP-rated guy convinced he can succeed with this advanced frame; knows he probably would play better with a tweener, but wouldn't be caught dead on the public courts with one; has to be able to tell all his friends and those on these message boards that he uses a "players" stick.

Any frame priced over $200: Upper-class man or woman, always wears matching shirt and shorts or skirt, drives a Denali or Escalade, has taken up tennis only in the last 1-4 years, lacks proper mechanics, only knows how to slice a backhand. Oh, and buys a new $200 frame every year.

Any Yonex:
Either a die-hard Hewitt fan, a European clay-courter, a woman or the writer of this post.

NW,

Do you belong to my club?

J

maverick66
09-21-2006, 09:33 PM
im actually on a mission to end the use of the pure drive. ive talked 3 kids out of it so far. i always tell them to get a less powerful racket and learn good technique. im sick of going to tournies and watching a match either be over in 30 min due to unforce errors or 2 smaller players go 3 hours because they just get there racket on it.

drakulie
09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
here are mine:

Pure Drive- Old farts or young kids that are hoping they will be able to serve 200 mph.

Volkls- Volks are horrible.

PS 85: Me!

newnuse
09-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Babalot = Young punks with bad elbows and many unforced errors, never heard of a slice

Volkls = Grumpy old farts always telling people the way it is, fights with everybody on the courts, never admits to making a wrong call despite failing eyesight

PS85" = the choosen ones with beautiful games, all court, good S&V'er, few and far between

Head Users = Guys with deformed hands, mostly lepers... avoid shaking hands with them after the match

Yonex = Yuppies, with textbook swings and bad results, always looking at themselves as the swing their brightly colored rackets

PK = Serious players only, much game, been known to give away some games to avoid crushing their opponents too badly.... just nice and humble guys in general

Forgot
100"+, sub 11oz sticks = Guys with limp wrists, wacks at everything... I mean everything, no touch, usually have fatigue wrist syndrome after a long session, tends to like larger heads to make up for short comings

anirut
09-21-2006, 11:02 PM
PK = Serious players only, much game, been known to give away some games to avoid crushing their opponents too badly.... just nice and humble guys in general

'nuse, thanks for the compliments ...

0d1n
09-22-2006, 01:14 AM
here are mine:

I'm 26, I use a Volkl and my serve is one of my strenghts...but let's begin :)

-PK only know a kid who uses one (old one) because his parents don't buy him another one
-PD/any Babolat – either Rodick wannabee’s that think they can hit 150 MPH serves and 100 MPH groundstrokes…they hit the back fence 3 out of every 4 shots; OR people that heard from the "store owner" that Babolat is the racket to buy, it’s the best it plays by itself, you don't even have to hit the ball and it's a winner…etc
-PS 85 - Think they are Pete but they are not
-Fischer - usually good, no non-sense players that like an "old school" feel and have an "old school" game
-Volkl's - old farts and myself :) (nah...usually die-hard tennis fans, pretty knowledgeable, hate Babolat’s because they CAN)
-50 percent of Head and Wilson users – never heard of any other racket company, if it’s Wilson or Head it’s good even if it’s a 50 $ “supermarket” racket. If they see you with Volkl, Fischer or PK (even good expensive models) they ask, why the hell did you buy those things … go buy yourself a Wilson “dude”...who the hell ever heard of PK ;).
-The other 50 percent are either Prestige die hard fans or Federer wannabee’s using the Tour 90 just for the f*uck of it and framing 30 percent of their shots and being late on another 50 percent of their shots. They hit one good serve and they use it as an excuse to continue to try and be Federer
-Prince - usually oversize users, not much else to add
-Yonex – chicks and men who like to “get in touch with their feminine side”

Tennis Man
09-22-2006, 06:49 AM
Babolat Pure Drive: follow the herd type mentality, middle of the road

PS6.0, POG: Traditionalist, conservative, stubborn, set in ways

Fischer, Volkl: Middle-aged, European sensibilities, not as conservative as the 6.0/POG users, but conservative neverthe less

Head Prestige Classic/IPrestige Mid: Energetic, likes life in the fast lane, achiever

RDX500, Prince Diablo: On the wild side, free-spirited, hedonistic

ProKennex: Nonconformist, independent,

Very funny

to be continued:
APD stock: "Vamos! Where else should I waste my money?"
n6.1 90: "Swiss BDSM"
PS 85: "American Cowboy"
Head LM Prestige Mid: "Russian roulette"