PDA

View Full Version : Grips are uneven around butt cap, solutions?

splink779
04-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Almost every racquet I have used has the problem of the grip bulging on one side near the bottom of the butt cap. The least noticable of the ones ive tried is my PD+. However on my Dunlop it is EXTREMElY bad in this aspect. This makes life difficult as I have to hit with one side of the stringbed since the grip feels different as you rotate the racquet. Racquets come from the manufacturers like this. How can you fix this!!!

Ash Doyle
04-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Rewrap the grip, paying close attention to how the grip lays over itself as it winds around the buttcap and handle. I notice this in all my racquets too, and it drives me crazy. A quick rewrap can usually solve the problem.

It becomes most noticeable when the end of the grip is too far up the buttcap. It creates too much of a "bump".

splink779
04-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks! I will try that.

ferrari_827
04-25-2005, 11:40 AM
This is one of the reasons I remove the buttcap, and create my own buttcap using layers of electrical tape. Some buttcaps have too sharp a taper, which is uncomfortable.

Also, when wrapping the overgrip near the buttcap, minimize the overlap since this is what creates the "bump".

rich s
04-25-2005, 12:09 PM
if you start wraping the grip on one of the side faces (faces that are perpendicular to the stringbed) instead of one of the faces that is parallel to the string bed you can eliminate the large majority of the problem.

In the same respect if you want a larger butt cap start wraping the grip on the face parallel to the stringbed to get a slightly larger buttcap.

my $.02
rich

splink779
04-25-2005, 02:40 PM
This is one of the reasons I remove the buttcap, and create my own buttcap using layers of electrical tape. Some buttcaps have too sharp a taper, which is uncomfortable.

Also, when wrapping the overgrip near the buttcap, minimize the overlap since this is what creates the "bump".

The overgrips effect seems minimal compared to the actual grip.

Gaines Hillix
04-25-2005, 02:45 PM
In addition to starting the grip on the side of the handle that is perpendicular to the stringbed, you can take a pair of scissors and put more taper on the first few inches of the grip. Grips tend to bunch up and have extra overlap on the first wrap around the handle.