PDA

View Full Version : Ektelon H Stringer question

jonaron
12-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Well first off let me make you all jealous and angry by telling you that I bought an Ektelon H in great shape today for $100 (and the guy tossed in 2 cases of balls and 20 packs of string). When you are done cursing me, here is my question. I used the short glide bars for the crosses and they were great and quick. The only issue was that I could not clamp the first 1 and possibly 2 crosses at the top of the racquet with them as the clamp could not reach the string..... I needed to use one of the long bars for that (the short bar was restricted by the bearing, whereas the long bar has no bearing and can slide further off of the table). It seems like a waste of time to have to switch the long bar from main to cross, and then switch again to short bars. Am i missing something or is this just the way it is??
Thanks for the help!

mlewis721
12-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I've never used the short bars but it sounds like there's a left and a right and you reversed them.

jonaron
12-23-2009, 05:32 AM
No, they are in the right position......

Cfidave
12-23-2009, 06:17 AM
I use the short bars for the crosses, and have not had a problem reaching top & bottom crosses. I have them mounted so that the inside pully is towards the center of the machine. Mounted the other way, they would not reach.

jonaron
12-23-2009, 06:27 AM
I am thinking that this racquet may have had an extremely high (close to the top of the racquet) first cross string.

insiderman
12-23-2009, 07:43 AM
likely an original model H that wasn't fitted with the upgrade kit that came a few years later - might still be available @ tennis machines inc.

for sure you should replace the tension spring (hooks to the release latch & is inside the plastic cover) as it gets weak with age, and or if, the tension dial is not set to '0' after use - as there is still a strain on the spring - the spring is some $2.00 only so get a new one! You can download a manual as well via the USRSA website - good to have for knowing all there is about a great 'workhorse' of a machine!

mlewis721
12-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Personally, I always used one of the long bars for the crosses. Using the short bars would have meant having to remove the clamps from the long bars, put them on the short bars and then back again every string job. Time consuming in it's own right.

I'm still thinking it's an orientation issue. Here's a pic for clarity.

http://i47.tinypic.com/5c10n8.jpg

mlewis721
12-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Another possibility is that the short bars lack adjustable height like the long bars. The long bars have 3 height selections. In the picture the bolt securing the short bar is in line with the lowest height selection of the long bar.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2d02fq.jpg

insiderman
12-23-2009, 12:20 PM
again, most likely he (she?) has the original H and not with the upgrade kit that has these additional options for adjusting the glide bars...OP, show pic's or tell more so we can assist!

Steve Huff
12-24-2009, 05:33 PM
The short bar is a great tool for doing ATW patterns. On swivel clamp machines, I use a floating clamp to clamp the last main on the long side before weaving the bottom cross. With the short bar, I could clamp the last main on the long side with the clamp on a short bar, then turn the long bar at the top to start the crosses at the top while still clamping the last main on the long side using the short bar.