PDA

View Full Version : AP Athlete of the Decade: Not an Athlete

OddJack
12-22-2009, 03:35 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34471048/ns/sports-decade_in_review/

matchmaker
12-22-2009, 05:04 PM
The term "athlete" is apparently uses in different meanings. For me it is still someone who has a physical superiority over other, which takes out all players of games, in which tactics, strategy and anticipation are involved.

One can say that some of these people also have athletic skills, but that is not the only thing they have, if not, Usain Bolt could beat Federer at tennis.

papatenis
12-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Try walking 18 holes for 4 days straight. Some tournaments you play 6 rounds in 4 days.

Z-Man
12-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Try walking 18 holes for 4 days straight. Some tournaments you play 6 rounds in 4 days.

Sorry, but when was the last time a golfer needed an IV after 18 holes? Golf is a great activity, but it's not a sport in my book. If you don't sweat, and you never get winded, it's not a sport--it's an activity.

Fishing--also not a sport.

Andy G
12-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Why would he be any less an athlete than a baseball player. They spend more time sitting in the dugout or standing in the field waiting for the ball to come their way than any running around the bases on the off chance they hit the ball. I say off chance because a "great hitter" has an avg. of .350. So, if you do your job 35% of the time, you're awesome. And yes, try doing 18 holes of golf for 4 days. You'll change your mind on the term athlete.

Andy G
12-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Sorry, but when was the last time a golfer needed an IV after 18 holes? Golf is a great activity, but it's not a sport in my book. If you don't sweat, and you never get winded, it's not a sport--it's an activity.

Fishing--also not a sport.

So, by that line of thinking, 4 days of walking a 5000m golf course is less work than Bolt running 100m in 9 seconds. Simply because he's winded at the end.

r2473
12-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Sorry, but when was the last time a golfer needed an IV after 18 holes?

Ben Hogan; 1950 US Open (after his near fatal car accident)

Ken Venturi; 1964 US Open

But, I am not sure why you really wanted to know.

hollywood9826
12-23-2009, 03:53 AM
I will say that golf is a sport and Will give these guys credit for developing muscle memory. But to say its physically demanding to walk 3 miles in 4hours 4 days in a row while somebody else caries your clubs is ridiculous.

If this guy can win 2 Majors you really can argue that its physically hard to play golf. And this even him at his fattest.

http://www.golfmagic.com/news/images/bigjohn01.jpg

But I will still consider those guys atheletes. Not the Athelete of the decade though thats a joke.

Also Angel Cabrera was smoking in between shots during his US Open victory. So no its not hard to walk.

http://www.thegolfwatch.com/my_weblog/images/2008/06/02/angel_cabrera_smoke.jpg

Tempest344
12-23-2009, 04:36 AM

how is it not a sport, it is governed by rules and is competetive
you don't get winded playing snooker either but it is still a sport, it requires skill and has rules

Topaz
12-23-2009, 04:51 AM

If you think that is tough you need to get up off the couch more often.

Xenakis
12-23-2009, 04:53 AM
That top twenty should be 'Best Sportsperson of the Decade from an American Perspective.' Or something like that.

I haven't heard of a lot of the names in the list as I don't know anything about American football, ice hockey, baseball or basketball (nor do most people on Earth I imagine except for basketball here and there.)

Why are there are no footballers on the list? (the most popular sport on the planet.)

Anyway, it's not wrong as such, just a list of Sportspeople those in the US have heard of rather than anything definitive.

Agreed that Golf isn't an athletic sport, that should be obvious, but it is a sport. Chess is a game for instance (not doing it down, it's really rather difficult at the top I imagine.)

brad1730
12-23-2009, 04:59 AM
Some could use the "winded" argument for saying doubles is not really a sport. Tiger Woods brought athleticism to golf. Not to say that there weren't others... Gary Player being one. Golf may not have a large aerobic requirement but it does require...
a lot of strength in your core and your legs
coordination
mental strength
flexibility - especially in your back

Golf looks so easy when you see it on television, but it's like watching tennis. I know how hard some of these shots are, but all my family sees are 2 guys running and hitting a ball. How tough can that be?

canuckfan
12-23-2009, 05:02 AM
The idea that walking 18 holes for 4 days is some kind of justification for golf's athleticism is thoroughly embarassing. If you can't take that, you are OUT OF SHAPE or old. Yes I play golf, sometimes on courses with significant elevation changes. Sometimes I don't use a cart because I like walking the course. Frankly, it's relaxing. Pros walk at a medium to slow pace and don't carry their own bags. It is not difficult.

Golf is a sport because hitting the golf ball with high club speed and great accuracy and consistency under difficult conditions and in the face of huge mental pressures is extremely difficult and takes great skill. But walking the course? Stop kidding yourselves.

canuckfan
12-23-2009, 05:05 AM
In fact, many pro golfers ARE out of shape or old, or both. And they can still compete at the pro level. Clearly it's not about the walking.

Z-Man
12-23-2009, 05:20 AM

how is it not a sport, it is governed by rules and is competetive
you don't get winded playing snooker either but it is still a sport, it requires skill and has rules

I would not call pool a sport either just because it requires skill and has rules. To me, pool is a game--same as golf, cards, and chess. Video games--also not a sport.

Also, what percent of golfers walk the course? I live on a golf course, and I can tell you--it's maybe 5%. I see people drive carts through the woods and over all kinds of obstacles to avoid walking more than 10 feet to the ball. Pathetic!

hollywood9826
12-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Some could use the "winded" argument for saying doubles is not really a sport. Tiger Woods brought athleticism to golf. Not to say that there weren't others... Gary Player being one. Golf may not have a large aerobic requirement but it does require...
a lot of strength in your core and your legs
coordination
mental strength
flexibility - especially in your back

Golf looks so easy when you see it on television, but it's like watching tennis. I know how hard some of these shots are, but all my family sees are 2 guys running and hitting a ball. How tough can that be?

Everything you said could also apply to Bowling. Yet Bowling does not catch peoples interest. But it requires all the same attributes as does a good golf swing, and some (probably most) people do not think of bowling as a sport.

For the record I consider Golf and Bowling sports, but no bowler or golfer is a better athelete than A-Rod, or Ronaldhino (SP?).

zettabyte
12-23-2009, 05:58 AM
But: Nadal made him cry.

Ouch.

I love tennis, but it is not as popular as golf here in the U.S. It's too demanding.

Which is why I'm proud to play it.

drakulie
12-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Gentleman Only Ladies Forbidden

Ah yes!!! What a great activiity. Walking around all day, sipping tea, and hitting a little white ball.

jorel
12-23-2009, 06:13 AM
r u serious?