PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is this my imagination...

tennis005
12-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Is this just me or am I imagining this. I have two rackets both same gripsize. One has a normal grip and the other a leather grip. For some reason the leather grip feels smaller then the other one. Are leather grips thinner?

MomentumGT
12-22-2009, 09:45 PM
I would assume so since I feel the same thing. Either that or it could be because the leather grip doesn't have as much give or doesn't compress as much as a synthetic grip.

-Jon

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Leather grips are generally thinner than synthetic grips. Also, the difference in grip size could be due to the different brands of the racquets. For example, I have found that Babolat grips run a bit larger than Prince grips.

tennis005
12-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Either we are right that leather grips are thinner, or we are all imagining it...

Irvin
12-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Why not measure the grips and see what size they are?

Irvin

tennis005
12-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I've tried. My tape measure is one of those thick metal ones and I can't get it around the handle properly.

fattsoo
12-23-2009, 07:48 PM
what's a leather grip?

j/k...depending on the grip itself...some are cushion grip which will be thicker, but generally leather are on the thinner side b/c they provide max feel

stoble
12-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I've tried. My tape measure is one of those thick metal ones and I can't get it around the handle properly.

u can use a string, then measure the string.

Anyways, I've found some to be thinner than others. Babolat is on the thinner side while Gamma is much thicker. I thought Wilson and Prince were about in the middle. I like the Prince leather alot but the great thing about the TW private label ones is that they offer both thin and thick grips.

Marshredder
12-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Leather grips must be thinner. Racquets with Leather grips in my size need 2 OG's, synthetic only need 1.

tennis005
12-24-2009, 01:27 PM
u can use a string, then measure the string.

Anyways, I've found some to be thinner than others. Babolat is on the thinner side while Gamma is much thicker. I thought Wilson and Prince were about in the middle. I like the Prince leather alot but the great thing about the TW private label ones is that they offer both thin and thick grips.

Great idea

Irvin
12-25-2009, 04:51 AM

Take a piece of string or a strip of paper and wrap it around the grip. Then measure the string or strip of paper. If you know anyone that sews they will probably have a cloth tape (see below.) Ask if you can borrow it.

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/FSB/FSB376/cloth-tape-measure_~x17604845.jpg

Irvin