PDA

View Full Version : One handed backhand problem/tips?

Kaz00
12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
this type of thread as probably been made 1 million times but.. :twisted:

okay on my 1HB i have several problems like
-having a wristy motion and using too much wrist
-hitting off the back foot, not using my front foot and hitting through the ball
-opening the racquet face too early
-to loopy of a backswing
-hitting with a open stance
-not having my shoulders level
-not bending my knees

also i would like to know how would u on a 1HB
-hit cross court, inside out, down the middle, and down the line??

whats awkward is my backhand slice is very awesome and gets plenty of spin and stays low, my coach calls it a natural slice but i cant hit a 1HB consistenly but under pressure or if i have to hit a passing shot i can hit my 1HB :?

i watched the james jenson pro tennis lesson video on one handed backhand it helped alot but i still have problems!

please someone help me lolol :(

Cody
12-22-2009, 10:29 PM
To be able to help you to the fullest and uncover your problems a video of you hitting would be a great asset.

In the meantime or if a video is not possible here are some good videos.

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/backhand/one-handed-backhand-progressions/

Watch all of them from 1 to 5.

They keep it simple and if you can do all these things you will have a backhand that you can practice and build on.

KenC
12-22-2009, 11:01 PM
AFAIK, the wrist doesn't move in a 1HBH. The forearm rolls, but the wrist stays firm. I keep my wrist firm at all times on the 1HBH. I suppose one could try to have the wrist "snap" forward but I would think it would lead to even more inconsistency. Note that it is generally harder to be precise and consistent with a 1HBH than a 2HBH and using the wrist would just make it that much more difficult.

I am always complimented on how "good" my backhand is and when I tell people how I developed it they say "Is it really that simple?" It goes back to the late 70's early 80's with my HS coach who was adamant about stroke perfection. His strategy was to keep the stroke mechanics always the same and just position the body to hit the ball in the right zone and then position the feet to direct where you want the ball to go. So, all I learned how to do one swing with good weight transfer and a healthy bit of topspin and the feet and body movement do the rest. The arm does one movement and the body positions itself for the variables involved. For example, low balls means dip lower with the knees. High balls means either run up and get the ball on the rise, run back to get it at the apex, or stand up straight/jump or switch to a slice. Cross court means turn the body to the angle you need to hit a cross court. Its the same story with the BH slice. One swing, body handles the variables.

His big thing was simplicity leads to consistency.

Blake0
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM

-hitting off the back foot, not using my front foot and hitting through the ball
-to loopy of a backswing
-not bending my knees

whats awkward is my backhand slice is very awesome and gets plenty of spin and stays low, my coach calls it a natural slice but i cant hit a 1HB consistenly but under pressure or if i have to hit a passing shot i can hit my 1HB :?

i watched the james jenson pro tennis lesson video on one handed backhand it helped alot but i still have problems!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xstf#p/u/1/vq3Pi1KIkT8
Heres a video to help you in general on 1hbh's.
1. Close your fingers more..as in keep your fingers more or less on 1 grip, not spread out with a trigger finger..ask if you need a more clearer understanding on this..
2. hitting off backfoot is usually resulted by bad timing. Work on timing/footwork and being able to read the ball earlier.
3. Racket face opens up to early. Maybe try a more closed backhand grip like an eastern or semiwestern..if you already use this grip..then it could be a couple of different things.
4.Too loopy of a backswing, might be the cause of your bad timing. For now try a straight takeback and swing to get a more consistent and easier timing going, then eventually move on to a small loop, bigger if u wish.
5. Hitting with an open stance frequently is a footwork error or ball reading error. It's basically using the same footwork and ball reading skills as it would take to hit the slice, but the big loop on it might be causing you to make frequent errors causing your body to try to change things.
6. You should turn your shoulders so they are atleast perpendicular to the net, then when you swing make sure your body doesn't open up too soon. To prevent this, use your nondominant arm to release back like you're flying.
7. Bending your knees..try the heel-to-toe weight transfer technique showed in the video i posted.

Most of these points are addressed in the video.

To hit 1hbhs cc, you hit through the outside part of the ball. To hit dtl, you hit through the back of the ball. To hit inside out, you hit through the inside part of the ball..All contact points should be around the same and all IN FRONT of you.

aimr75
12-22-2009, 11:47 PM
1. Close your fingers more..as in keep your fingers more or less on 1 grip, not spread out with a trigger finger..ask if you need a more clearer understanding on this..

i dont think this is mandatory, its more a preference thing

Federer tends to have it a bit more trigger finger like, where as Kohlschreiber for example doesnt

Fed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyjp1_xEAfU

Kohlschreiber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-oO7s77j-0

Cody
12-23-2009, 12:13 AM

Federer tends to have it a bit more trigger finger like, where as Kohlschreiber for example doesnt

Fed

Kohlschreiber

Spreading the fingers seems to help me.

I think it helps the racket to became more of a extension of your arm.

aimr75
12-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Spreading the fingers seems to help me.

I think it helps the racket to became more of a extension of your arm.

i tend to do this too

Kostas
12-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Honestly...with that many 'problems' it sounds like you just need lots of practice.

I pretty much learned my 1hbh on FYB and practice. Here's a couple of short vids of mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKlX9Yg6N54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YN8X_tsyVw

As far as directional control I used to struggle with that also but it really comes down to footwork and positioning your body. You want more shoulder turn and rotation on down the line or open court (from duece side) shots and more natural/straight up alignment for down the middle and cross court shots. You want to make sure your point of contact is always out in front of you.

Of course my slice backhand is freaking terrible so maybe you could teach me how do hit that one! :-)

Blake0
12-23-2009, 08:40 AM

Fed

Kohlschreiber

I know it's not mandatory, but it helps in not using your wrist so much.

LeeD
12-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Doesn't it appear Federer uses a more radical backhand grip for his topspin than the one he uses for his slice? Position of knuckles compared to handle of racket.

Mick
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
From the "Ask Roger" section at http://www.rogerfederer.com

A. Footwork and go back with your racquet early enough.

LeeD
12-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Most not all pro tennis players can play the game, but cannot express exactly HOW they do it or why they do it.
The normal, "get racketback early, hit" is not an acceptable explanation.
Watching Feds slice and topspin vids, if you concentrate on the knuckle placement of his hitting hand on the racket, you might notice a consistent grip difference between his slice grip and his topspin grip.
Obsessive? Yes. My topspin backhand sucks except for return of serve, where it's OK.

aimr75
12-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I know it's not mandatory, but it helps in not using your wrist so much.

not sure how that relates to the trigger finger vs non trigger.. ? the wrist use

aimr75
12-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Doesn't it appear Federer uses a more radical backhand grip for his topspin than the one he uses for his slice? Position of knuckles compared to handle of racket.

just looks like an eastern backhand grip to me..

Cody
12-23-2009, 12:58 PM
just looks like an eastern backhand grip to me..

Yeh, i pretty sure he uses a eastern.

I remember a video highlighting the different grip comparing federer and henin

W Cats
12-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Do a search here on the "smile" take back for the BH. For me it's recipe for a consistent backswing.

Level shoulders? When the ball is low remember to bend not only the front leg knee but also the back leg knee as well.

From take back to the end of follow through try to keep the same angle between your forearm and the racquet shaft.

LeeD
12-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Maybe I'm imagining that Federer uses a more radical EBH grip for his topspins, and a more moderate EBH grip for his slices.
OP seems to have a few problems, which he has recognized and addressed.
Hope it works.

darthpwner
12-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Maybe I'm imagining that Federer uses a more radical EBH grip for his topspins, and a more moderate EBH grip for his slices.
OP seems to have a few problems, which he has recognized and addressed.
Hope it works.

I thought Federer uses a continental for slice and eastern bh for topspin?

LeeD
12-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Does appear there is a difference in grip but not nearly the difference between traditional EBH and traditional continental. His alighned knuckles move maybe 1/4" more between the two different strokes, it appears to my bad eyes.....

Kaz00
12-23-2009, 10:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xstf#p/u/1/vq3Pi1KIkT8
Heres a video to help you in general on 1hbh's.
2. hitting off backfoot is usually resulted by bad timing. Work on timing/footwork and being able to read the ball earlier.
3. Racket face opens up to early. Maybe try a more closed backhand grip like an eastern or semiwestern..if you already use this grip..then it could be a couple of different things.
4.Too loopy of a backswing, might be the cause of your bad timing. For now try a straight takeback and swing to get a more consistent and easier timing going, then eventually move on to a small loop, bigger if u wish.
5. Hitting with an open stance frequently is a footwork error or ball reading error. It's basically using the same footwork and ball reading skills as it would take to hit the slice, but the big loop on it might be causing you to make frequent errors causing your body to try to change things.
6. You should turn your shoulders so they are atleast perpendicular to the net, then when you swing make sure your body doesn't open up too soon. To prevent this, use your nondominant arm to release back like you're flying.
7. Bending your knees..try the heel-to-toe weight transfer technique showed in the video i posted.

Most of these points are addressed in the video.

To hit 1hbhs cc, you hit through the outside part of the ball. To hit dtl, you hit through the back of the ball. To hit inside out, you hit through the inside part of the ball..All contact points should be around the same and all IN FRONT of you.

thanks so much!! i will try all the tips as soon as the weather gets a bit better :)

Ripper014
12-23-2009, 11:15 PM

This is an older video of his backhand... I think he has changed it since then. I also would not expect him to have different grips for his backhand... tennis is a pretty fast game at that level to be messing around with multiple grips.

He goes through the ball much better in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RORTYH588cE

Bungalo Bill
12-24-2009, 08:04 AM

-to loopy of a backswing
-not bending my knees

Hello Kaz,

I have wrote plenty on the onehanded backhand to help you hit better with it.

I will try to answer your list:

-having a wristy motion and using too much wrist: When you are trying to develop a consistent backhand, having a wristy motion is not what you want. You need to develop a fixed wrist, and a relatively fixed arm when you make contact with the ball. You go through the ball and then followthrough. When you introduce movement in the wrist, you are asking for problems with consistency and timing. Your legs need to help you with power and timing. Eliminate wristiness is the first recommendation I have. Later, when you can nail the backhand consistenly, then you might want to introduce a little wrist for some finesse or added pop.

-hitting off the back foot, not using my front foot and hitting through the ball-to loopy of a backswing: I have not explained this at all throughout all the posts I have put on the boards here, so I am going to tell you what fuels my practices. There are three areas that I focus on when I hold a practice session with a player:

1. Their mind

2. Their feet

3. Their stroke

Everything you work on concerning these areas I divide up in two areas for player improvement:

1. Efficiency

2. Effectiveness

The mind needs to learn how to pick up the ball quickly without any dwell time whatsoever. You need to be able to read the ball before you even know you read the ball. You need to make it instinctive. Some people here call it "feel". The reason for this is because your mind helps your feet move and both of these need to be in sync. Some players can move to the first ball just fine. However, at some point in time, they may "watch just one of those balls in a point a second too long, and forget to move their feet for the next ball. Sometimes, the player ends up chasing balls just to try to win the point after that.

Fotowork and ball recgonition skills need to be connected because if you have a lazy mind, lazy feet, or are inconsistent with either one of them through the point, your onehanded backhand will suffer throughout.

Your stroke also needs to be efficient and effective which should compliment what you are doing on the ground. A long loopy backswing is not what the majority of professional onehanded backhand players use. Pure and simple, only a few players at the pro level use long loopy backswings with the onehander and these athletes are truly gifted to be able to do this at such a high level. Please don't get suckered into thinking you are able to do it given your current struggles with your onehander.

So, if you are inconsistent reading the ball, have off-and-on footwork, a long loopy backswing, and are inconsistent in bringing these areas together, what do you think that will spell? Yes, it spells L-A-T-E.

Timing is a huge issue with the onehanded backhand and everything you do needs to measure up to this one measure. TIMING. When you watch the pros, what makes the ball pop-off the strings and look effortless it is because they have very good timing. In order to improve here, this may mean you have to cut the fat out of your stroke. Cut the fat out of your footwork, and cut the fat out of your mind for improved focus.

Timing puts pressure on how you have trained. You may have developed your swing efficiently and effectively. But are underdeveloped in your ball recognition skills. You may have good ball recognition skills and a good swing, but your footwork isn't helping you.

The onehanded backhand is a FRONT foot hitting stroke and you must transfer your weight in time over your front foot to hit with good timing. If you don't you will struggle. The front foot is a timing step. You must realize this and if you are not getting over this foot as you make contact, you need to analyze what is happening and why you are not.

When you hit off your backfoot and have this long loopy swing, all you are telling me is you have inconsistent timing. You may have a beautiful looking stroke, however, if you have poor timing or inconsistent timing, it will get attacked.

-opening the racquet face too early: This could be coming from a lot of things including hitting off you back foot and your long loopy backswing.

-hitting with a open stance: you are late and have poor timing

-not having my shoulders level: all of the above

-not bending my knees: All of the above

Things that will help you:

You must slow things down again and go back to basics. I am assuming you got some poor habits developed from this as well.

1. Firm up the wrist and look up the "long L" I talk about for good arm shape through your swing.

2. Eliminate the loopy backswing and move to the "smile pattern" that most pros use. You can look up what this is here.

3. When you get your timing down and comfortable with the above, move into practices that will work all three elements above with the mindset to keep them efficient and effective.

If you know how to move your feet, how to swing well, and have decent ball recognition skills (you do not have to be consistent here) then start having some practices that tax all three togther so you can learn how to use all three instinctively in point play, drills, and eventually your matches.