PDA

View Full Version : How Low to Go With All Gut?

TripleB
12-23-2009, 04:34 AM
Putting an all Gaucho Natural Gut Red stringing in a Becker Pro in hopes of making it playable...1st racquet to give me major arm problems. Had it strung with a Lux BB ALU 16L/Yonex Tour Super 850 hybrid (53/52) previously.

So, in a last ditch effort to use this racquet I'm going to all gut. The last time I went to an all gut stringing was with a Yonex RDX-500 MP and it made the racquet a trampoline.

I don't want to do the same with the Becker Pro but I don't want to still have arm problems after stringing it with natural gut.

The recommended tension on the racquet is 50-60...what tension do you think I should string it at with all natural gut?

Should the mains and crosses be the same tension since it's the same string?

Thanks.

TripleB

Blade0324
12-23-2009, 06:31 AM
I would go up in tension for sure with gut to make it less powerful. i would try 56 and 58.

larry10s
12-23-2009, 06:41 AM
you could try 2-4 lb more than you did with the yonex to diminish the trampoline effect.however the higher the tension the less help to your arm.btw see my new thread . i always play with gut and tried a friends racquet strung at 40 lbs with a muti and was surprised how controllable it was. the soft feel was VERY arm friendly

TripleB
12-23-2009, 09:31 AM
If I'm using the same string in the mains and crosses (16g natural gut), do I need to string one of the two (mains or crosses) at a higher tension or will string both at 55 pounds* be fine.

Thanks.

TripleB

*my stringer seems to be a touch on the tight side when the racquets are finished

larry10s
12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
If I'm using the same string in the mains and crosses (16g natural gut), do I need to string one of the two (mains or crosses) at a higher tension or will string both at 55 pounds* be fine.

Thanks.

TripleB

*my stringer seems to be a touch on the tight side when the racquets are finished

you can string mains and crosses at the same tension . you also can string with 4 knots (2 peice stringing)