PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Maxply McEnroe (Wood Version)

Marshredder
12-23-2009, 10:19 AM
What can you tell me about this racquet? Just acquired one on a whim!

Value, Production Dates, How good is it as a Wood Racquet etc!

Virginia
12-23-2009, 10:29 AM
One of the very best racquets ever made, it first came out around 1983. Made famous of course by John McEnroe who did actually play with it. The value varies, according to condition, but a mint one would probably fetch in excess of $100.

Marshredder
12-23-2009, 10:33 AM
The one I got is 9.5+/10, virtually mint apart from a few marks on the head.

Virginia
12-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Hang on to it - it's too good to part with for mere money! ;)

It's a little harder to play than the original Dunlop Maxply Fort, a little stiffer, but well worth a try.

Colpo
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Mac used his original namesake from early 82 until the spring of 83, when he changed to the Max 200G. His first year with Dunlop was 81, and he had signed with them with the proviso that he'd get a namesake frame. The Max Mac was in R & D for 81, while Mac had a career year with a weighted Max Fort. The Max Fort was more head light with a whippier head and stiffer shaft than the more evenly flexed Kramer Pro Staff that he'd used prior to Dunlop, so the Max Mac reflected Mac's preferences for a stiffer head and more even balance than the Max Fort. I'd need video on this, but Mac might've already been using the Max Mac by the late fall 81, and almost certainly by the December 81 Volvo Masters.

MAXXply
12-23-2009, 01:37 PM
What can you tell me about this racquet? Just acquired one on a whim!

Value, Production Dates, How good is it as a Wood Racquet etc!

A piece of rubbish if you ask me; overhyped and devoid of any intrinsic worth; rather than hold onto it you're better off disposing it at the nearest Oxfam or, to save you the effort, I'll sling you a few dollars and you can post it me:wink:

Mac used his original namesake from early 82 until the spring of 83, when he changed to the Max 200G. His first year with Dunlop was 81, and he had signed with them with the proviso that he'd get a namesake frame. The Max Mac was in R & D for 81, while Mac had a career year with a weighted Max Fort. The Max Fort was more head light with a whippier head and stiffer shaft than the more evenly flexed Kramer Pro Staff that he'd used prior to Dunlop, so the Max Mac reflected Mac's preferences for a stiffer head and more even balance than the Max Fort. I'd need video on this, but Mac might've already been using the Max Mac by the late fall 81, and almost certainly by the December 81 Volvo Masters.

Didn't Dunlop annoy their subsidiary Slazenger when they put in all the spadework to sign him, only to have the parent company overrule them to get Mac with Dunlop instead...BTW they should reissue the Mac luggage from the time - those superb black, red and orange signature duffels and thermos...

vsbabolat
12-23-2009, 01:40 PM
The Maxply McEnroe came out in December 1981.

Virginia
12-23-2009, 08:22 PM
The Maxply McEnroe came out in December 1981.
Yes, of course you are right - I posted the date from memory - should have checked first. :oops:

JoelDali
12-24-2009, 05:02 PM
As a young lad in Southern Cal way back when I was a hard core Donnay Borg Pro user but I bought one of these when they came out because I loved the black and orange graphics and the glossy clear texture of the stick - it is a beauty. I remember the stock grip having a wierd texture when I put Tourna Grip on it.

vwfye
12-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Don't forget, Mac played with the Black Max before the 200g.

vsbabolat
12-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Don't forget, Mac played with the Black Max before the 200g.

I am sorry but you are mistaken. McEnroe switched form the Maxply McEnroe to the Max200G in the early spring of 1983 on the advice of his brother Patrick who was using the Max200G at that time. John switched to the Max200G to help alleviate the shoulder problems that he was having at that time.

Virginia
12-26-2009, 04:10 PM
vcbabolat, I also heard that he played with the Black Max - was it at a different time perhaps, or are you saying he never used it?

vwfye
12-26-2009, 11:57 PM
sorry, but i watched Mac play with the Black Max. twice while i was in high school. 82-83ish.

vsbabolat
12-27-2009, 10:31 AM
sorry, but i watched Mac play with the Black Max. twice while i was in high school. 82-83ish.

I am sorry but I think you are a little confused. John McEnroe switched from the Dunlop Maxply McEnroe to the Max200G in the spring of 1983 because of the very bad Shoulder problems he was having. John's younger brother Patrick suggested he switch to the Max200G (which is what Patrick was using at the time) and the rest is history........

Here are the events that lead John McEnroe to switch from the Maxply McEnroe to the Max200G.
Ailing McEnroe Upset by Tanner
UPI
Published: February 11, 1983
John McEnroe, bothered by tendinitis in his left shoulder, lost to Roscoe Tanner, 6-3, 5-7, 6-2, tonight in the second round of the $300,000 United Virginia Bank Classic.
In the third set, McEnroe, obviously compensating for the ailment, dropped the first four games............

U.S. Trails in Davis Cup, 2-1
By EDWARD SCHUMACHER, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: March 6, 1983
Illustrations: photo of John McEnroe, p.1

The United States escaped elimination in the first round of the Davis Cup today when the doubles team of John McEnroe and Peter Fleming outlasted Guillermo Vilas and Jose-Luis Clerc of Argentina, 2-6, 10-8, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3.

McEnroe earlier called Clerc ''one of the greatest clay-court players in the world,'' adding, however, that he had won ''by a couple of lucky shots and a couple of good games.''
McEnroe admitted he had played his best, and said one reason was that his shoulder, which he injured three weeks ago, still hurt. Arthur Ashe, the team captain, frequently rubbed it with an ointment between games.

U.S. OUT OF CUP
By EDWARD SCHUMACHER, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: March 7, 1983
Vilas, playing with cool concentration, proved to be the more consistent, mixing his serves and occasionally rushing the net with effective results. McEnroe, who had not played well the two previous days, began missing on his first serves and his whole game fell apart. On Saturday he had said that his left shoulder still bothered him from a three-week-old ailment, but he and Ashe felt he was healthy enough to play today.

SPORTS PEOPLE; Comings and Goings
Published: March 19, 1983
John McEnroe, citing a shoulder injury, withdrew from next week's $350,000 Grand Prix indoor tennis tournament in Milan, Italy.

Lendl and McEnroe in Final
UPI
Published: May 1, 1983
McEnroe, who has been bothered by shoulder pain, decided to use a graphite racquet at the suggestion of his 16-year-old brother Patrick, who is in the final of the W.C.T. Future Stars event.

RACQUETS PROBLEM FOR PROS
By NEIL AMDUR
Published: May 2, 1983
Last week John McEnroe, concerned about a shoulder injury that was affecting his serve-and-volley game, tried a mid-sized Dunlop graphite in Dallas, after having played for years with a regulation-size wooden model.

McEnroe Lobs Way to Title
By NEIL AMDUR
Published: May 9, 1983

McEnroe's sweep of the World Championship Tennis Finals in Dallas last week and this $500,000 clay-court event at the West Side Tennis Club were his most impressive performances of the year. With the major international tournaments looming at Paris, Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows, his turnabout from an uncertain start this year could not have come at a more opportune time.

''I'm hitting the ball as well as I have in a long time,'' said the 24-year-old pro from Douglaston, Queens, citing his new midsized graphite racquet and a stronger mental attitude as other reasons behind his renewed confidence.

McEnroe will decide in the next 10 days whether he is fit enough to enter the French Open later this month in Paris. That tournament is also played on clay, but is more grueling because the matches are three of five sets from start to finish. ''If I can work hard, I would like to give the French a good shot,'' he said. A Clay-Court Achievement

The $3 Million Man?
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 21, 1983
Illustrations: photos of John McEnroe

Dunlop, the English sporting goods manufacturer, has given John McEnroe a new promotional contract, a new racquet, and - in print, at least - a new body.

The advertising campaign for Dunlop's new 200G Max racquet features a muscular McEnroe posing with the product.

McEnroe will get all of a five-year, $3 million contract, but the body is only half his. The photo is a composite, and the bare, rippling chest is Ted Matia's.

Martia, a 22-year-old student at DeKalb College outside Atlanta, said he had been paid $250 to model for a photo matched with one of McEnroe taken months earlier in New York.

Matia, who is not a professional model, was invited to try out for the advertisement after he was spotted working out in a gymnasium. He has a 45-inch chest, a 30-inch waist and 17 1/2-inch biceps, he said.

Dan Grieco, senior art director at the J. Walter Thompson Agency in Atlanta, said the campaign was intended to emphasize McEnroe's switch from a wooden racquet to one with a more powerful nylon and graphite frame and a larger head.
The Max200G was Injected Molded Frame made with a matrix of nylon and Graphite (Grafil).

To see the poster click here: http://www.tias.com/image.html?s=http://www.tias.com/stores/finds/origpics/4398a.jpg&p=50.00&t=Vintage%20Poster%20-%20John%20McEnroe%20%26quot%3BMuscle%26quot%3B%20A d%20Pos&n=Antique%20Finds&l=http://www.tias.com/9314/PictPage/1922452258.html&z=534

jimbo333
01-01-2010, 10:06 AM
I heard that McEnroe did use a Black Max at some point, maybe just in practice though, who knows for sure?

Virginia
01-01-2010, 12:38 PM
We can't all be wrong - can we?

vsbabolat
01-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I heard that McEnroe did use a Black Max at some point, maybe just in practice though, who knows for sure?

We can't all be wrong - can we?

If you don't even believe the news paper accounts of the spring of 1983, when and why John McEnroe switched from the Maxply McEnroe to the Max200G. Then I don't know what to tell you.

At the 1983 WCT Dallas Tournament McEnroe used the Max200G to beat Lendl. Next he won the WCT Tournament of Champions at Forrest Hills with the Max200G. Before that he was struggling with his shoulder and the Maxply McEnroe.

Rabbit
01-01-2010, 03:31 PM
My recollection is the same as vasbabolat's. John was hurting, went home and Patrick said he should try the 200G. They went and practiced and John was sold. I don't ever remember seeing McEnroe play with a Black Max, he was always swinging the 200G.

Back to the OP, the Maxply McEnroe is a wonderful frame. I have one 9.999/10 and have hit with it several times. Awesome cosmetic (always loved Dunlop's cosmetics) and a great hit to boot.

Virginia
01-01-2010, 08:30 PM
OK, must be an urban legend then. What you've said seems very convincing. :)

Perhaps someone here on T-W posted something and the rest of us just followed suit. :)

jimbo333
01-02-2010, 02:33 AM
OK, must be an urban legend then. What you've said seems very convincing. :)

Perhaps someone here on T-W posted something and the rest of us just followed suit. :)

Yes, I'm sure VSbabolat is right:)

I too think I read something on here ages ago!

vsbabolat
01-02-2010, 06:53 AM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/John_McEnroe_1983_LA_2.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/John_McEnroe_1983_LA_1.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/John_McEnroe_1983_LA_3.jpg

Michael B
01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
I prefer the original Maxply over the Maxply McEnroe. The latter was reinforced with fiberglass and had a lighter head. You can get better racquet head speed with the Maxply McEnroe as a result. The original had a larger shouder-making it heavier, which I found more stable and had a better feel than the successor. I have a picture of McEnroe up close and he appears to have some lead tape on his autographed racquet, probably to make up for the lighter head.

I think the Maxply McEnroe was one of the last standard sized wood racquets to come out in '82. The woodies were fast disappearing in racquet shops by then, and McEnroe was one of the last top pros to continue with one.

The Maxply McEnroe will always be special to me because McEnroe battled with it and beat the lesser players using modern, larger, metal racquets and not using nearly the skill and touch of McEnroe. Even though Mac didn't win any majors with it, he played some fantastic matches with this racquet, particularly Davis Cup matches against the likes of Vilas, Wilander, and Noah. Between the racquets great looks and McEnroe's genius behind it, it did look as though he was using a magic wand.

nickynu
02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Just posted mine on the for sale boards. there's not a mark on it, but gotta go I need the moolah.

Its such a pretty thing:)

PBODY99
02-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Mac did use another Dunlop graphite frame after the 200G. He had the Turbo as I recall, a gray thin beam frame with the option to use metal weights at three and nine for a more head heavy feel. This was for only one or two tournaments in the summer of {1987 ???}

vsbabolat
02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Mac did use another Dunlop graphite frame after the 200G. He had the Turbo as I recall, a gray thin beam frame with the option to use metal weights at three and nine for a more head heavy feel. This was for only one or two tournaments in the summer of {1987 ???}

It was the 1987 US Open and the racquet was called the Max Competition.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Mac1987a.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Mac1987.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0101.jpg

coachrick
02-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Not a bad hitting frame without the weights. The weights were snug in place until you removed/replaced them a couple of times; then, they would rattle a bit :( . Also, the ones I sold in GA and FLA had a tendency to rust! The Big D was really reaching at that time...not a whole lot of interesting frames.

nickynu
02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Surprised at the lack of interest so far on the for sale boards, as my maxply mcenroe wood is an absolute beauty, as its never even been used .

Anybody got any thoughts on this classic racket?

coachrick
02-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Surprised at the lack of interest so far on the for sale boards, as my maxply mcenroe wood is an absolute beauty, as its never even been used .

Anybody got any thoughts on this classic racket?

Might be the PAIR I spotted on the bay earlier today...price was mid $20s at that time :(

Virginia
02-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Yup, I grabbed those at the last minute for $31 - they were advertised as "Maxpro", so didn't attract much interest.

However I played a LOT more for one in mint condition a couple of weeks ago. They are stilll highly collectable and generally fetch high prices, so hang in there, nickynu! :)

nickynu
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the advice guys .Virginia I have a Slazenger (Guillermo) Vilas Tour frame in wood to list at some point. I think you mentioned you had one a while ago. Any thoughts on what would be a fair price all round for everybody if I list this one.

Its 352-360 gms it says construction of : maple, ash, sycamore and leatheroid fibre with fibreglass overlay etc...

It also lists some big tournaments won Us masters 1974 us open 77 french open 77 australian open 78 australian open 79 italian open 1980

Its probably a 7.5 / 10

ritton07
02-24-2010, 07:38 AM
(...dear vsbabolat,
do you maybe know about anyone that might have a new Max Competition, like the one shown, available for sale?
Thanks in advance)

TMR
02-24-2010, 11:04 AM
I have a used Mac Competition Plus in the thread below.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=308173