PDA

View Full Version : *Concept Pure Thread*

jcstennis
12-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Topspin has a winner here... I have been using it for the past 6 months and really am sold that this is a very good poly.

list your set ups... reviews.. etc..

there are a small amount of us on the boards that use the string, it would be nice to spread the word about our experiences and the what properties of the string we enjoy the most!

Cheers!

J

lawlitssoo1n
12-23-2009, 04:56 PM
been using it since it 1st came out, i think it's the best balanced poly out there, good control, power, feel.

i just recently strung up cyber red and been playing w/ it, and i have to say it almost felt like i was string up a multi. the string plays similiar to concept pure but A LOT softer and pocketing was a lot better

blackfrido
12-23-2009, 08:04 PM
just two play concept pure?

lawlitssoo1n
12-23-2009, 10:54 PM
hahaha just got back from hitting, and i think i'm going to stick w/ the concept pure, even though i have a reel of the cyber red

TenniseaWilliams
12-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I have some here that I haven't tried. Can somebody compare it to Cyber Blue?

AlpineCadet
12-23-2009, 11:12 PM
A polyester that doesn't die as fast as the rest? BS.

McLovin
12-24-2009, 05:46 AM
I've been using Concept Pure for ~ 6 months now, although I use it as a cross w/ Natural Gut mains. For me, it is the best feeling of power, spin and economic value.

Prior to Concept Pure, I used Cyber Flash in the cross, but my wrist started to develop serious pain (I actually went to see a doctor about it). When switching, I tried many of the newer polys (Black Code, Hyperion, etc.) along w/ Cyber Blue and few others, but I kept coming back to Concept Pure. I even tried Cyber Black, but it just wasn't the same.

I've also switched many of the people I string for over to Concept Pure, and all like it. Granted some are club-level players and probably can't tell the difference, but a few are college players/juniors who used Cyber Blue before, and now they're hooked on Pure.

dgoran
12-24-2009, 05:50 AM
I am testing it now and I did not like it when I first strung it I thought it was way too powerful but on a second time i tried hitting it was a lot better, ...really not sure how to explain. I am going to hit with it more to get a better feel for it...

EDIT; Oh and I used many different polis and my fav are CyberFlash Cyberpower Blue gear and BBO

jcstennis
12-24-2009, 08:08 AM
hahaha just got back from hitting, and i think i'm going to stick w/ the concept pure, even though i have a reel of the cyber red

if you are willing to cut some of the red off your reel, give me a holler, i would like to try some out... i was just about to go order some :)

jcstennis
12-24-2009, 08:12 AM
I have some here that I haven't tried. Can somebody compare it to Cyber Blue?

Quick synopsis... http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=4186514&postcount=6

or... http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=301595

SplitStepper
12-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I've had a reel sitting around for about 6 months or so. I like my strings soft and loose, but still poly. at 35lbs they are far stiffer than poly polar. I even went with natural cross and it was still too stiff. maybe i should try again.

jcstennis
12-24-2009, 08:22 AM
A polyester that doesn't die as fast as the rest? BS.

Yes BS... I agree... however, i have been playing with my current set up of Concept Pure (CxP) longer than i have any other string. I feel its longevity (if not snapped) is similar to Big Ace 1.25 Red. CxP tension loss/change to feeling of "dead" takes a lot longer to get to that point than say ALU Rough and better than Big Ace as mentioned above. CxP does not have one standout quality to it, it has a little bit of what you would want from a good quality poly. CxP does carry traits from its siblings... some control from CyberFlash, a little power from CyberPower (Blue)... but has nice "feel" for a TopSpin string. And the price is not that bad! :)

PED
12-24-2009, 11:56 AM
J, my set came in yesterday and I'll give it a go next week.

I've been using the pl2 and bbo at 60/58 so I think I'll try the same on the CxP. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this stuff, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

jcstennis
12-24-2009, 12:08 PM
J, my set came in yesterday and I'll give it a go next week.

I've been using the pl2 and bbo at 60/58 so I think I'll try the same on the CxP. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this stuff, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

yup, no prob... i'm sneeking a peek on the boards before we head out to see family...

i think you will be fine at that tension... i just strung up an AK90 with some PLII, we'll see how that goes... and how it compares with CxP

Have a great holiday! :)

PED
12-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Right back at you :) We 're staying home this year-I'm looking forward to NOT driving anywhere.

My Panthers looked pretty good against the Vikes on Sunday night. I was lucky enough to go and Peppers was on FIRE.

No post season football for Carolina this year but I want us to spoil the Gnat's party this weekend ;)

AlpineCadet
12-24-2009, 02:55 PM
How does it compare to Cyber Blue?

lawlitssoo1n
12-26-2009, 10:55 PM
strung up concept pure today, and WOW i'm never going to switch from this stuff; however, i popped them within an hour :(, so i decided to go down 1 lb on the tension

jcstennis
12-30-2009, 05:19 PM
strung up concept pure today, and WOW i'm never going to switch from this stuff; however, i popped them within an hour :(, so i decided to go down 1 lb on the tension

did tension drop help? what racquet and tension did you use? :)

lawlitssoo1n
12-30-2009, 05:24 PM
did tension drop help? what racquet and tension did you use? :)

using wilson kbt at 63/62 and it feels a little bit mushy at 1st, but i'm getting used to it. so far still liking the strings. i don't think i'm EVER switching.

PED
12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
JCS, after seeing the stiffness data and tension loss on CXP, I can see why you like it so much. The tension loss seemed to be the lowest of all the strings I'm considering.

jcstennis
12-31-2009, 04:37 AM
JCS, after seeing the stiffness data and tension loss on CXP, I can see why you like it so much. The tension loss seemed to be the lowest of all the strings I'm considering.

The string goes through the normal settling after the first real hit with it, but it's minimal after that. No big drops in feel or control. Not as soft as Kb PLII nor is it as powerful but I think I would give the edge to CxP in the touch and control department.

jcstennis
01-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Anyone use Concept Pure in a small mid size 85-90 sq inch head size?

coloskier
01-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Anyone use Concept Pure in a small mid size 85-90 sq inch head size?

Yeah, I played with it in a KPS88. Good string, especially if you tend to hit flatter. Nice feel, and still get some good topspin. I string it pretty tight (66#), and it did eventually get to my elbow, although I don't know if the string or the racket caused it.

jcstennis
01-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Putting some CxP in my AK90... will play with this set up Friday (at a tournament... trial by fire :) )

Will probably string @ 53 or 54 lbs (one piece, ATW)

J

PED
01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
I had my first hit this am with CxP. I had 2 sticks: one with CxP at 60/58 and one with BBO at 60/58.

It was 35 degrees but sunny(yes I'm an idiot). With that in mind I wish I'd gone down a bit on the tension. I've moved back up from 1.25mm string to the 1.28 and 1.29mm size and I find that I get better action and control on the thicker string but the power levels are down a bit.

Either way, CxP is an excellent string. I felt it had a nice explosive quality to it and the ball came nicely off the bed. It was maybe 15% more comfty than the BBO but with no drop off in spin production compared to BBo.

My cross court fh was excellent with CxP but where the thicker version really shined was in the down the line 2hbh. You didn't have to hit it hard but you could drive it really deep and the cxp would really put some nice kick on the ball and make it awkward for your opponent.

As ever, JCS thank you for turning me onto this string. I'm looking forward to continue playing with it and I think it's a better but similar string to Bab Revenge but the CxP is almost $10 a set cheaper :)

jcstennis
01-09-2010, 04:36 AM
I had my first hit this am with CxP. I had 2 sticks: one with CxP at 60/58 and one with BBO at 60/58.

It was 35 degrees but sunny(yes I'm an idiot). With that in mind I wish I'd gone down a bit on the tension. I've moved back up from 1.25mm string to the 1.28 and 1.29mm size and I find that I get better action and control on the thicker string but the power levels are down a bit.

Either way, CxP is an excellent string. I felt it had a nice explosive quality to it and the ball came nicely off the bed. It was maybe 15% more comfty than the BBO but with no drop off in spin production compared to BBo.

My cross court fh was excellent with CxP but where the thicker version really shined was in the down the line 2hbh. You didn't have to hit it hard but you could drive it really deep and the cxp would really put some nice kick on the ball and make it awkward for your opponent.

As ever, JCS thank you for turning me onto this string. I'm looking forward to continue playing with it and I think it's a better but similar string to Bab Revenge but the CxP is almost $10 a set cheaper :)

I may have mentioned this some time ago... finding a high performing string under $10 is like searching for a tasty bottle of wine with out breaking the bank, fine rewards!

I put CxP in my AK90 and was surprised that the power level was just a notch under PLII, it must have been the tension, but i found gobs of power and reserve! Not the plush quick explosiveness of the PLII, but decent pop with good dwell, laser beam accuracy/control. Serving was fantastic. This is from the 1.24 gauge strung at 54lbs.

BTW, if you may have any more PLII around, let me know. I have been stringing a customers MGPMP's with it and he is really impressed!:)

PED
01-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Nice descriptions J! I agree, to use the wine analogy, CXP is much more full bodied than PL2. It does not have the pop of PL2 but the overall firmness and stability is better to my mind.

I'm actually going to use the last few sets of pl2 that I have as I'm not getting that much better durability from my 16g's so far.

It's going to be warmer next week and I'm looking forward to more feedback from the CXP with the temps out of the 30s :)

lawlitssoo1n
01-10-2010, 12:31 AM
I may have mentioned this some time ago... finding a high performing string under $10 is like searching for a tasty bottle of wine with out breaking the bank, fine rewards!

I put CxP in my AK90 and was surprised that the power level was just a notch under PLII, it must have been the tension, but i found gobs of power and reserve! Not the plush quick explosiveness of the PLII, but decent pop with good dwell, laser beam accuracy/control. Serving was fantastic. This is from the 1.24 gauge strung at 54lbs.

BTW, if you may have any more PLII around, let me know. I have been stringing a customers MGPMP's with it and he is really impressed!:)

you should give topspin cyber red a try and string them up for some of your customers and see how they like it

jcstennis
01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
you should give topspin cyber red a try and string them up for some of your customers and see how they like it

if you got any... give me a holler :) cyber red is stiffer than CxP, how much stiffer if any vs. CyberFlash?

JStar7
02-10-2010, 06:31 PM
How would you guys compare Concept Pure with ALU Power Rough?

jcstennis
02-10-2010, 07:11 PM
ahh... ALUR, one of my favorites.

Comparison:
Price: CxP
Tension/Durability: CxP
Power: ALUR
Spin: ALUR
Feel/Touch: CxP
Control: CxP (since it does not play as powerful as ALUR, the over sense of control goes to CxP)... for drop out of the sky Luxilon magic, ALUR

CxP provides good feedback, does not feel as "plastic-y" as ALUR, and is not as stiff as ALUR.

I like both strings but enjoy them and prefer them in different racquets.

JStar7
02-10-2010, 07:26 PM
ahh... ALUR, one of my favorites.

Comparison:
Price: CxP
Tension/Durability: CxP
Power: ALUR
Spin: ALUR
Feel/Touch: CxP
Control: CxP (since it does not play as powerful as ALUR, the over sense of control goes to CxP)... for drop out of the sky Luxilon magic, ALUR

CxP provides good feedback, does not feel as "plastic-y" as ALUR, and is not as stiff as ALUR.

I like both strings but enjoy them and prefer them in different racquets.

Could you compare the power levels for me? Like is there a huge difference in power fresh off the stringer? Or do you really notice it when the string is played on for more hours?

000KFACTOR90000
02-11-2010, 03:16 AM
does not feel as "plastic-y" as ALUR

Have to admit I've never heard that description for alu rough before :)

jcstennis
02-11-2010, 04:22 AM
Have to admit I've never heard that description for alu rough before :)

agreed but i knew i would be questioned about this... :)

as compared to the Concept Pure, the ALUR's feedback has a less natural feel to it. All i could come up with was plastic-y. :neutral:

jcstennis
02-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Could you compare the power levels for me? Like is there a huge difference in power fresh off the stringer? Or do you really notice it when the string is played on for more hours?

i guess that depends on the racquet and tension, etc..

I may have to look this up in USRSA's string guide for solid numbers. But ALUR off the stringer and throughout it's life is more powerful. A close cousin to CxP, Cyber Blue, has more power than CxP and Cyber Blue is closer to the power of an ALUP/ALUR.

CxP has played the same to me for many hours (so far many months... it just lasts in my set up, playing conditions). ALUR you can set your watch to its decline. :)

PED
02-11-2010, 04:35 AM
I may have to look this up in USRSA's string guide for solid numbers. But ALUR off the stringer and throughout it's life is more powerful. A close cousin to CxP, Cyber Blue, has more power than CxP and Cyber Blue is closer to the power of an ALUP/ALUR.

True, CXP has a more solid, neutral feel over its life. It starts off good and stays that way whereas ALU is gr8 coming out of the box but tails off quickly.

The biggest difference between the 2 regarding power is the way the fly explodes off of the ALU stringbed.....well, for the first 2 hours at least ;)

jcstennis
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
True, CXP has a more solid, neutral feel over its life. It starts off good and stays that way whereas ALU is gr8 coming out of the box but tails off quickly.

The biggest difference between the 2 regarding power is the way the fly explodes off of the ALU stringbed.....well, for the first 2 hours at least ;)

Will we ever go back to ALU??? :)

I will keep CxP around for awhile... especially for my 4D200 16x19. Seems to work/blend well with flexier, open, mid plus racquets.

JStar7
02-11-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm gonna give this string a test drive soon. Sounds like it maintains tension well and has a solid amount of power. I haven't tried Cyberflash either, but I have two sets of that as well, so i'll compare them side by side. I have tried Cyberflash in a hybrid of Cyberflash 17 mains and Gosen 17 crosses, but I felt it didn't have alot of power and I had to swing for the fences to get some juice on a groundstroke.

jcstennis
02-12-2010, 04:18 AM
I'm gonna give this string a test drive soon. Sounds like it maintains tension well and has a solid amount of power. I haven't tried Cyberflash either, but I have two sets of that as well, so i'll compare them side by side. I have tried Cyberflash in a hybrid of Cyberflash 17 mains and Gosen 17 crosses, but I felt it didn't have alot of power and I had to swing for the fences to get some juice on a groundstroke.

Where in NJ are you located? I'm right outside of Cherry Hill in South Jersey.

About the CxP power... it will have a little more than CyberFlash and retaining the nice control qualities of CF... and is a little softer than CF. If you are looking for flat out power CxP will not deliver. However at very low tensions CxP has good pop with nice control and tension stability... I like stringing this string in the low 50's... I find this string holds up very nice and feels better the lower you go.

JStar7
02-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Where in NJ are you located? I'm right outside of Cherry Hill in South Jersey.

About the CxP power... it will have a little more than CyberFlash and retaining the nice control qualities of CF... and is a little softer than CF. If you are looking for flat out power CxP will not deliver. However at very low tensions CxP has good pop with nice control and tension stability... I like stringing this string in the low 50's... I find this string holds up very nice and feels better the lower you go.

Right outside Cherry Hill? Your close to me, I live in Moorestown.

Anyway, I think i'm looking for a power/control combo. Not a ton of power, but enough to pocket balls with decent pace at a relatively high tension like 55-57 range. Something with a power level like Genesis Spin X.

jcstennis
02-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Right outside Cherry Hill? Your close to me, I live in Moorestown.

Anyway, I think i'm looking for a power/control combo. Not a ton of power, but enough to pocket balls with decent pace at a relatively high tension like 55-57 range. Something with a power level like Genesis Spin X.

i have a couple sets of SpinX coming in soon... so i can compare the two.

i live in Haddon Twp (next to Haddonfield/Collingswood) :)