PDA

View Full Version : Serving Practice Strategies

jchamilt
12-23-2009, 07:46 PM
What is the best or optimal strategy for practicing your serve. Every three serves I switch from the deuce to the ad side. On each side I practice a flat server down the center and a slice wide and a second serve either into the body of the imaginary opponent or to the backhand of a right-handed opponent. I also try to imagine a critical game situation so I am serving under pressure. What are some other techniques for practicing your serve?

Blake0
12-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Depends on what you want to work on..if you want to be able to rely on your serve during tense situations..go along your way. If you want to work on better accuracy, focus on that. If you want more power, focus on hitting the ball in and make sure you're using all the parts of your body and timing well.

Right now, i'm working on my flat out wide serve on the ad side..which is my lowest percentage serve..

USERNAME
12-24-2009, 11:14 AM
When I head out to practice mainly serves, I always bring targets with me (2 or 3 ball cans work nicely, I also bring those disc cones.) I set them up in either service box INSIDE the lines and try to hit them with 2nd serves first, once I knock them all down once I put them in the other box and repeat. Then after getting them all 3-4 times I switch to first serves, for these I have the cans half way on the lines, and again aim to knock them all down 3-4 times. After doing that just hit serves with no targets for awhile, the box should feel MUCH bigger. When target practice is over start hitting the "specialty" serves, ie the slice out wide, kicker into the body, kicker out wide, etc. using the cones or cans as a point to aim for. If your good enough try to hit the targets with these serves to.
P.S. remember to warm up before doing these drills!!!

Sup2Dresq
12-24-2009, 11:17 AM
don't forget the recovery step right after you serve.

I don't know about most of you.. but even my serves tend to come back every so often.