PDA

View Full Version : ITN anyone?

bookem
04-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Has anyone seen/used their ITN (International Tennis Number)? The ITF has been pushing for a somewhat global rating system to help in assessing players.

Based on the number of (repeated) threads here about players ratings/frequency of play, I find it curious no one has yet quoted their ITN.

For info, see http://www.itftennis.com/itn/.

FYI, I am not affiliated with the ITF (other than being a USTA member), nor do I own stock, nor have I dated Anna/Maria/Jelena/etc, nor ____.

Just curious to see if the system is catching on...

K!ck5w3rvE
04-22-2005, 08:05 PM
It has a bit here in Aus.......not too much though. I'm a 2.0

goober
04-23-2005, 05:27 AM
I don't see the ITN catching on in the USA. the NRTP rating system is pretty much ingrained in american tennis culture. The ITN does not offer any significant advantages at all as far as I can see. The only time it would ever come up is if you were playing somebody from another country. How often does that happen? Very rarely and mostly on the professional level where a rating system is pretty much meaningless since everybody are 7.0s.

On the club level, where ratings do matter, americans are playing other americans 99.9% of the time. No need to change from the current system as far as I can see.

doriancito
04-23-2005, 06:11 AM
i think this of ITN will not work i got a 4.0 and i have gon eot a brazil tennis academy and they didnt know anything about it.

equinox
04-24-2005, 05:05 AM
It has a bit here in Aus.......not too much though. I'm a 2.0
Has your assessor submitted your results to itn website? If true, I'll believe you're 2.0.

Remember you need atleast 3 tests for accurate rating numbers.

matchpoints
04-24-2005, 06:39 AM
The problem that I see is that the tests are kinda subjective (including NTRP ratings).

I still don't know what I'm rated at and always wonder since people ask me that question pretty often. I've been told anywhere from 3.5 - 6.0. Will someone PLEASE rate me correctly? :(

Btw, if we don't have to drive on the left side of the road, or adopt the metric system, or use 220-240v, or care about other countries opinions on war, then what makes anyone think that we would use ITN when we have NTRP?

goober
04-24-2005, 07:48 AM
The problem that I see is that the tests are kinda subjective (including NTRP ratings).

I still don't know what I'm rated at and always wonder since people ask me that question pretty often. I've been told anywhere from 3.5 - 6.0. Will someone PLEASE rate me correctly? :(

Well one way to get a local rating is join USTA tourneys. If you win one or two rounds but aren't consistently getting to the finals are or winning the championship than you are probably at that level.

bookem
04-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Btw, if we don't have to drive on the left side of the road, or adopt the metric system, or use 220-240v, or care about other countries opinions on war, then what makes anyone think that we would use ITN when we have NTRP?

I think a more appropriate analogy would be monetary exchange rates, i.e. a UK 5.1 is roughly equivalent to US NTRP 4.0 for example. For those who travel, this can be a guide to other players' ability when arranging for matches. Again, I don't know if the ITN will catch on as a standard but it sure can eliminate a lot of discussion about ability and prevent some on-court embarassment in lopsided matches.

BTW, as Goober pointed out, once you play sanctioned USTA tournaments you'll get a fairly good idea of NTRP levels. I for one have never put much stock in someone coming up and announcing "I'm a ___ player" but never playing in a USTA league or sanctioned tournament. Sometimes ability, like high school memories, can be distorted through myopic eyes.

matchpoints
04-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Ok so I've always played Open level. What does that translate into #'s?

The one USTA tournament I played this year I lost 3rd round to the #1 seed who is also the #1 Open player in Texas. I'm going to beat him next time after I get in shape.

I'm not sure how good I can play, but I usually can't keep the ball in the court when I have a bad hair day.

AndrewD
04-25-2005, 01:20 AM
I guess the ITN is good for places like Australia which doesn't already have a system in place. Dont know if its so valuable in the States although, going on the amount of complaints Ive seen posted regarding self-assessment and players under rating themselves, it might be a good idea for American league tennis.

As to how the ratings pan out, I think Equinox might have a better idea than most, but I can say that Peter MacNamara (2 time Wimbledon doubles champ, former top 10 player, coach etc) is rated as an ITN 3. So that might give you an idea of where you stand. I couldn't imagine a player like that would be less than a 5.0-5.5, even in his mid 40's, however, the ITN does take into account mobility. So a player with rating 1 strokes but older might be down graded as a result.

Matchpoints, sorry there's nothing in there about hair although it might come under the heading of mobility - as in, 'if it messes up my hair, Im not running' LOL

K!ck5w3rvE
04-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Has your assessor submitted your results to itn website? If true, I'll believe you're 2.0.

Remember you need atleast 3 tests for accurate rating numbers.

I was assessed last Wednesday. He said he'll send it to the ITF.

Camilio Pascual
04-25-2005, 04:11 AM
After looking at that conversion chart, I am reminded once again that this is yet one more way of the many ingenious ways tennis has managed to obfuscate matters to tennis players and the general public.

goober
04-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Ok so I've always played Open level. What does that translate into #'s?

The one USTA tournament I played this year I lost 3rd round to the #1 seed who is also the #1 Open player in Texas. I'm going to beat him next time after I get in shape.

I'm not sure how good I can play, but I usually can't keep the ball in the court when I have a bad hair day.

Well if your winning open level matches you are at least 5.0 I would say that you probably are in the 5.5 level if you played the #1 player close. To me once you are above 4.5, rating levels are not that important.

equinox
05-16-2005, 06:35 AM
I see they have started introducing itn rating in vic tennis series (pennant).

My ex tour coach rated 2,3 single doubles.
Level 3 Coach at my current club 3.
State grade, ex sat player i ocassionally practised with when i was junior is 2,3.
Solid playing girls i play with friday nights are 6. Consistant 6-1 6-0 winners, won grade 10 easy no loses.

Mate playing grade 5 is 7. won grade 8.

I see many 8,9's itn. I think it will take the itn numbers few seasons to settle to accurate levels.

International Tennis Numb
07-07-2005, 08:03 PM
The ITN is an international tennis number that represents a player’s general level of play. In time it is hoped that every tennis player worldwide will have an ITN.

Worldwide research shows that one of the main reasons people stop playing tennis is that they can't find a compatible playing partner. The ITN is an ideal tool that will help to address this problem.

I don't see the ITN catching on in the USA.
The ITF don't want the nations with established ratings systems in place to change their current system. However, all the major nations including the USA have agreed to recognise the ITN along side their own system.
The problem that I see is that the tests are kinda subjective
One of the biggest problems with ratings is if you are rated in a subjective method.

The ITN On Court Assessment is an objective assessment and was developed to help address this issue. You can also use the ITN On Court Assessment as an objective way to measure your improvement over time.
All coaches can implement the ITN On Court Assessment into their coaching businesses by registering as an Official ITN On Court Assessor at www.oncourtassessment.com

You can also download the latest ITN conversion chart at www.itftennis.com/itn