PDA

View Full Version : Help! I washed my apple keyboard

ananda
12-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Okay, call me stupid.

I washed and scrubbed each and every key. The main board was still *really* dirty after rubbing with a wet cloth. So i used a wet toothbrush and kept scrubbing the kb, taking care that the keyboard was slanted, so water would not go in. (But obviously some did).

After drying, i assembled the kb, and it won't work.
2 days have gone by. Yesterday, i even waved it over a toaster (no hair-dryer in my house). But still not working.

Is that the end of that chap, or is there still hope? (I do have a bluetooth keyboard locked away, but i hardly use it since it eats up expensive batteries, and it also did begun getting sticky/hard after a month or so).

(btw, i googled but it only tells how to wash an apple keyboard, not what to do if it isn't working)

Steady Eddy
12-23-2009, 11:14 PM
I saw a story on Yahoo about what to do if your cell phone gets soaked. They said NOT to use a hairdryer or toaster. (So maybe it's too late for you.) They said to put it in a bag of rice, that absorbs the water. I don't know if that's good advice for a keyboard. I'd buy a new one, you can find them pretty cheap, and just write it off as learning a lesson on what not to do with a keyboard. (I agree, they can get pretty gross after awhile).

albino smurf
12-24-2009, 03:59 AM
I beat the hell out of mine and have washed it, etc. usually just let it dry out really well and it is good to go.

ananda
12-24-2009, 04:29 AM
I beat the hell out of mine and have washed it, etc. usually just let it dry out really well and it is good to go.
I am worried that waiting for it to dry out may damage it further due to the moisture that will remain in there (until it dries).

Steady, where i am (India) i can''t keep buying apple keyboards whenever they start getting hard, which is quite soon. I am using an el-cheapo backup as we speak, but it has some strange key settings which are troubling me a lot -- its not as simple as just remapping some keys. The right hand Shift is tiny and the "|" is next to it. In the place of the usual pipe, the Enter key has expanded upwards (its taking the place of 2 keys). My bro says its a European keyboard. I use the shift a lot, as well as |.

Anyway, if it doesn't work, i know i have to not let any moisture into the main keyboard (in future), the keys can be washed as much as you like. I still have a BT keyboard stashed away, so all is not bleak!

lol, i'll be visiting my cousin sis tomorrow and trying out her hair drier as a last resort.

albino smurf
12-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Did the hair dryer work?

ananda
12-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Did the hair dryer work?
Nope ! But I did get a fantastic lunch :-D

My cousin suggested I let it rest a while. If it doesn't work after a week, then i will take all the keys out and then try a little hair dryer treatment again.

That's it. (Thanks for asking.)