PDA

View Full Version : Never thought I'd see the day ...

Davis937
12-24-2009, 01:53 AM
Like most intermediate players, I have always favored my FH ... especially on groundies and service returns. That's natural ... it's the stroke we learn first and the stroke we generally rely on. As a result of many hours of practice and constantly working on my technique, my 2HBH has slowly but steadily improved (I'm right handed ... grip: dominant hand - Continental; left hand - semi western). I never thought that his would happen, but it's reached a point where I actually "favor" hitting with my 2HBH ... it feels more comfortable, I'm more confident using it, rhythm and balance feel better, and I hit a harder ball with the BH. This preference for the 2HBH is especially noticeable on my service returns. I've been a lot more consistent returning with the 2HBH ... conversely, I seem to be making more errors with the FH. As you would expect, most servers initially serve to my BH side. After a few games, however, most figure out my "stronger" side and begin to serve me pretty much exclusively to my FH side. It's come to a point where I've lost quite a bit of confidence in my FH return game. Even when I "cheat" and invite the server to go to my BH, they don't bite. I'm curious ... have others experienced this gradual preference switch from FH to BH ... why do I seem to favor my BH ... and ... what can I do to counteract those uncooperative servers who refuse to serve to my 2HBH? Thanks for your comments, thoughts, and suggestions.

Head Microgel Extreme / Luxilon Fluoro / 55 #

Blake0
12-24-2009, 09:31 AM
I have..i prefer my backhand over my forehand..because it's more stable and consistent. I can go anywhere i want with it (maybe not inside out with good consistency), and hit it decently hard (flat and spin). If it stops working for me, i know what the problem is..my timing, which it is 95% of the time.

My forehand is a different story. I can hit a lot harder with it. I can go anywhere i want with it. But my forehand seems to "break" more often so i prefer my backhand.

To me, it depends on what i can rely on in matches..right now its my backhand, later if i find my forehand it'll be my forehand.

Davis937
12-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I have..i prefer my backhand over my forehand..because it's more stable and consistent. I can go anywhere i want with it (maybe not inside out with good consistency), and hit it decently hard (flat and spin). If it stops working for me, i know what the problem is..my timing, which it is 95% of the time.

My forehand is a different story. I can hit a lot harder with it. I can go anywhere i want with it. But my forehand seems to "break" more often so i prefer my backhand.

To me, it depends on what i can rely on in matches..right now its my backhand, later if i find my forehand it'll be my forehand.

... you're right ... I definitely feel that my BH is a little more consistent and reliable, and somehow it feels more comfortable to me ... yes, timing is crucial on the 2HBH and for me that means moving my feet to ensure I'm in the proper hitting position ... my forehand definitely tends to break down more often and I'm not quite sure why (... is it a more complicated stroke?) ... finally, I neglected to mention earlier but I prefer my 2HBH when returing serve because it is a little bit more "forgiving" on the timing, to me ... I can hit it a little early ... or a little late ... and I can still make a return (... not so with my FH).

Ripper014
12-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Yep me too... my backhand is my much better and more consistent stroke. I have a 1hbh though... and for me I think it is because it really is a more natural stroke, you can hit it without worrying about clearing your body unlike your forehand.

Though I can hit any shot off either side... it feels much more natural to do it off my backhand side... well ok... except for something extremely high on my backhand... then I would rather take it on the forehand.

Any ball that is close to my body is automatically taken on my backhand... much easier to handle and it is only a half step move to get out of the way... compared to a full step if you were to hit a forehand.

I think the other my backhand is more consistent is that I might take bigger swings more often on my forehand, meaning I hit lower percentage shots off that side. I don't do that intentionally, it is just what it is.

LeeD
12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
My backhand has been better than my forehand since 1977, when I finally figure out the 2hbh.
Gave up on the 2hbh by 1993, and 1hbh has been more consistent and more forcing since.
But I never claimed to have a decent forehand.

Blake0
12-24-2009, 08:52 PM
... you're right ... I definitely feel that my BH is a little more consistent and reliable, and somehow it feels more comfortable to me ... yes, timing is crucial on the 2HBH and for me that means moving my feet to ensure I'm in the proper hitting position ... my forehand definitely tends to break down more often and I'm not quite sure why (... is it a more complicated stroke?) ... finally, I neglected to mention earlier but I prefer my 2HBH when returing serve because it is a little bit more "forgiving" on the timing, to me ... I can hit it a little early ... or a little late ... and I can still make a return (... not so with my FH).

Yeah forehand is a more complicated stroke, especially more complicated then 1hbh. 1hbh is quite simple..just need good timing and a simple basic form, there is no real difference from a solid beginners form to a more advanced form other then a loop and more body coiling.

Forehand on the other hand is, in my opinion, the second most complicated stroke, 1st is serve. Especially the modern forehands and straight arm forehands. More body rotation, different footwork patterns, different stances, the different wrist/arm positions, different followthroughs, WW, etc makes it more complicated, but in return can be hit harder.

Davis937
12-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah forehand is a more complicated stroke, especially more complicated then 1hbh. 1hbh is quite simple..just need good timing and a simple basic form, there is no real difference from a solid beginners form to a more advanced form other then a loop and more body coiling.

Forehand on the other hand is, in my opinion, the second most complicated stroke, 1st is serve. Especially the modern forehands and straight arm forehands. More body rotation, different footwork patterns, different stances, the different wrist/arm positions, different followthroughs, WW, etc makes it more complicated, but in return can be hit harder.

I suppose for most people, FH returns are generally hit harder than the BH return ... for me, right now at least, because I'm so much more comfortable hitting my 2HBH return, I am actually hitting my BH return significantly harder than my FH (I return with a semi western so resultant return ... when I can return ... see my most earlier re my frustrations with FH return ... is spinnier ... my 2HBH is a flatter stroke) ... are any of you out there hitting a harder return with your BH?

LeeD
12-26-2009, 07:19 AM
My topspin backhand 1hander often returns serves faster than any form of my forehand.
Once I get into a groundie exchange, my backhand goes slower until I find that one perfect upper thigh high slower moving incoming ball, then I can crack it well past any possible forehand speeds.

Davis937
12-26-2009, 09:16 AM
My topspin backhand 1hander often returns serves faster than any form of my forehand.
Once I get into a groundie exchange, my backhand goes slower until I find that one perfect upper thigh high slower moving incoming ball, then I can crack it well past any possible forehand speeds.

... one of the reasons I switched over to the 2HBH (... hmm about 3 years ago after using 1HBH for .... forever), was that I had difficulty hitting the high ball to my BH ... you mentioned the "one perfect upper thigh high ball," but how do you handle the high ball (around your shoulder)? I had problems even slicing with 1HBH ... however ... much easier for me to handle now with my 2HBH ... in fact, if it's a short ball I can really tee off on that high ball!

Blake0
12-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I suppose for most people, FH returns are generally hit harder than the BH return ... for me, right now at least, because I'm so much more comfortable hitting my 2HBH return, I am actually hitting my BH return significantly harder than my FH (I return with a semi western so resultant return ... when I can return ... see my most earlier re my frustrations with FH return ... is spinnier ... my 2HBH is a flatter stroke) ... are any of you out there hitting a harder return with your BH?

i didn't necessarily mean that forehand returns can be hit faster, because that's not necessarily true, but forehands can be hit harder then 2hbh/1hbh in general.

For returns, it just depends on much momentum that moves forward during the shot, and a clean contact and which shot (forehand/2hbh) you hit through more. On returns, you don't have as many options as you do when hitting a groundstroke.

Davis937
12-26-2009, 11:30 AM

... you're right, Blake ... for all of our reliance and comfort with the modern FH, it remains technically an extremely complicated stroke ... thus, more prone to breakdowns at many different points in the swing (from foot work, positioning, to the actual swing and follow through) ... in some ways I liken the FH to the "drive" in golf (using the one wood) ... it's a "big mama" stroke and can do a lot for you ... but there is a real tendency, even among the pros, for this stroke to break down ... regularly... for me, at least, the 2HBH is a much simpler and compact stroke.

LeeD
12-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm old school, and like to hit slice backhands to mix with my slightly topspin backhands for variety, and to keep the opponent's honest.
High balls, around face heights, I still use a conti grip slightly twisted towards EFOREHAND, not EBackhand. This gives extreme sidespin slicing, the ball skidds DTL away from right handers (I'm lefty), and never bounces up into the strikezone of modern SW players.
For really high balls, like when the 6'6" players hit twists to me, I use a slice from SW forehand grip on the forehand side and slice with EBH grip on the backhand side. No use trying to topspin back balls that bounce over the top of my head. I actually face this kind of serve quite often, as I like to play against the best of any foursome, and often it's a Div1 college player who's tall and talented.
Seems I'm OK against the really good serves, but get lazy and lackdaisical against medium serves hit into my body.

fruitytennis1
12-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I would say my Bh is more reliable than my forhand for those 110 bombs coming at me(thats about as fast I can handle while consistantly returning non-sitters)Though I would say off both wings im a pretty good serve returner.
My bh is my grinding stroke. Deep and most frequently crosscourt for forcing the short ball.

Blake0
12-26-2009, 08:26 PM
... you're right, Blake ... for all of our reliance and comfort with the modern FH, it remains technically an extremely complicated stroke ... thus, more prone to breakdowns at many different points in the swing (from foot work, positioning, to the actual swing and follow through) ... in some ways I liken the FH to the "drive" in golf (using the one wood) ... it's a "big mama" stroke and can do a lot for you ... but there is a real tendency, even among the pros, for this stroke to break down ... regularly... for me, at least, the 2HBH is a much simpler and compact stroke.

Yup, seen federer this year and last year. A couple of tournament matches he'd shank a forehand pretty badly not once or twice, but a couple times.

Kaz00
12-26-2009, 08:31 PM
my backhand slice sets up better floaters than my forehand would, all that spin keeps the ball low then my opponent has the hit the ball up than i get an easy winner on my forehand love the down the line slice and then angle or behind forehand winner combo :D

Davis937
12-26-2009, 10:38 PM
From the comments posted on this thread it sounds like quite a few of us prefer the BH (whether it's the 1HBH or 2HBH) as a return of service stroke ... comments have included, for example, that the BH is a more compact and "simpler" stroke and consequently is more consistent and less prone to breakdowns ... how about for the world class professionals ... is it just a personal preference for them (based on their individual playing styles and/or strengths) or do you see/observe a significant preference among them for the FH or BH service return?

lawlitssoo1n
12-26-2009, 11:13 PM
my backhand was always better than my forehand, ever since i was little kid.

Cindysphinx
12-27-2009, 06:14 AM
One of my goals is to stop treating my 2HBH as a weaker stroke. 'Cause it's not.

Davis937
12-28-2009, 12:38 AM
... I have this huge grin on my face (... must be that late Christmas gift I received from the "Tennis Gods" today) ... anyway, I had one of those really infrequuent tennis days ... one of those days in which I played pretty well ... played five sets (all doubles) ... the first three were "regular" sets and my play was lacklustre (sp) ... the last two sets of the day were pro sets, and we won both 8-6 and 8-6 ... for once, my partner and I were really on top of things and played like a team (... move over Bryans) ... we kept our unforced errors down and were playing outrageous at the net ... I almost ... said almost ... felt sorry for our opponents but they've beaten us numerous times so this was sweet ... two things to report: (1) as usual, and as mentioned in earlier posts, my 2HBH return felt really good today (I was really surprisedd that one of the opponents persisted in serving to my BH ... especially since I was shaky on my FH returns) ... was very consistent with the return (now need to add a little bit more juice to it and work in some sharper angles ... but ... one building block at a time); (2) because it was late in the day and my arm was getting a little tired, I noticed I was easing up on my serve ... but ... not such a bad thing ... unlike the earlier sets, my first serve percentage was better the last two sets ... I was more relaxed because I was not trying to kill the ball ... my rhythm was better ... and I was actually hitting a cleaner first serve ... I have not been pleased with my kicker (needs a bit more pace and a higher bounce/kick) so I used the slice as my second serve ... my opponents were a little taken aback because it has better pace than my kicker and it was consistent ... has that happened to any of you ... your arm gets fatigued (rest of the body too) ... but you end up serving better?

apor
12-28-2009, 04:55 AM
I too have a better 2hbh than forehand. I can get better topspin and better angles with the fh, but I lack the solid consistency I have with the bh. It doesn't take people long to figure that out, but since most people are so used to hitting to others' backhands, I still get plenty to my more consistent side. I think a solid month or two on the ball machine to get the body working right for my fh and I'll be unbeatable- hah!

tyro
12-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I'll second the comments of Blake0 and many others here that, much to my surprise, my 2h bh has become my preferred rally stroke. I feel like I can hit it all day long. I can do more damage with my forehand, but it is much less reliable. Too often, the damage I do is to myself.

--Tyro

http://tenniswire.wordpress.com

BlueBolat
12-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Like most intermediate players, I have always favored my FH ... especially on groundies and service returns. That's natural ... it's the stroke we learn first and the stroke we generally rely on. As a result of many hours of practice and constantly working on my technique, my 2HBH has slowly but steadily improved (I'm right handed ... grip: dominant hand - Continental; left hand - semi western). I never thought that his would happen, but it's reached a point where I actually "favor" hitting with my 2HBH ... it feels more comfortable, I'm more confident using it, rhythm and balance feel better, and I hit a harder ball with the BH. This preference for the 2HBH is especially noticeable on my service returns. I've been a lot more consistent returning with the 2HBH ... conversely, I seem to be making more errors with the FH. As you would expect, most servers initially serve to my BH side. After a few games, however, most figure out my "stronger" side and begin to serve me pretty much exclusively to my FH side. It's come to a point where I've lost quite a bit of confidence in my FH return game. Even when I "cheat" and invite the server to go to my BH, they don't bite. I'm curious ... have others experienced this gradual preference switch from FH to BH ... why do I seem to favor my BH ... and ... what can I do to counteract those uncooperative servers who refuse to serve to my 2HBH? Thanks for your comments, thoughts, and suggestions.

Head Microgel Extreme / Luxilon Fluoro / 55 #

I know exactly what you are talking about. I was on the same page when i was working on my 2hbh because it was one of my weaknesses. After spending time with my backhand, my FH got rusty and i started to lose a feel for it. When I started to hit with my backhand more often, it became a habit. I believe the reason why you felt comfortable with your backhand more than ur FH, at this stage, is because you concentrate/focus more on ur backhand. Basically when hitting with your backhand, you always set up, ready, and swing fast at the ball. I believe that's the reason why you were able to return the serve and felt comfortable rallying.

After a period of time, I stop putting full focus on my backhand because i felt that FH is still a more reliable weapon and it should be your strongest point. That's why i started to build on more FH, with my decent backhand, as opposed to build on the backhand and let the FH gets rusty. From personal experience, it's hard to balance out the two (BH and FH) because if you decided to focus more on ur BH then your FH will become weaker. That's why i would say continue to build on that FH since u already have a decent 2hbh. It works out great for me. Hope it helps :)

Davis937
12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. I was on the same page when i was working on my 2hbh because it was one of my weaknesses. After spending time with my backhand, my FH got rusty and i started to lose a feel for it. When I started to hit with my backhand more often, it became a habit. I believe the reason why you felt comfortable with your backhand more than ur FH, at this stage, is because you concentrate/focus more on ur backhand. Basically when hitting with your backhand, you always set up, ready, and swing fast at the ball. I believe that's the reason why you were able to return the serve and felt comfortable rallying.

After a period of time, I stop putting full focus on my backhand because i felt that FH is still a more reliable weapon and it should be your strongest point. That's why i started to build on more FH, with my decent backhand, as opposed to build on the backhand and let the FH gets rusty. From personal experience, it's hard to balance out the two (BH and FH) because if you decided to focus more on ur BH then your FH will become weaker. That's why i would say continue to build on that FH since u already have a decent 2hbh. It works out great for me. Hope it helps :)

... thanks for your thoughts and words of encouragement, Blue ... I'm so enamored with and reliant on my 2HBH for service returns that I was actually standing on the baseline (... was playing doubles and had the AD court) waiting to receive serve and I was only about three feet away from the center hash mark (tempting the server to serve to my backhand) ... and it worked ... I did get aced once, but any serve to my BH I jumped on ... FELT GOOD! I'm still struggling with my FH return ... bad footwork and poor preparation ... swing's also not so hot (... it's odd because I have a pretty good FH on groundies ... not so with service return ... alas, something else to work on!)

Jay_The_Nomad
12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
The funny thing about my backhand is that every opponent I play against thinks it is my stronger side.. but the truth is, I feel more confident on my forehand side asi'm able to attack the ball on the FH.

I suspect opponents think my 2hbh is the main game because i've got a very compact swing on my 2hbh & when opponents attack it i'm able to take the ball very early and redirect the ball & burn them.

The FH on the other hand has a longer loopier swing so on pressure balls it is harder for me to counterattack & hit solid defensive balls.

But when dictating points, the forehand is the one that will do the most damage to my opponents.

BlueBolat
12-29-2009, 05:05 AM
... thanks for your thoughts and words of encouragement, Blue ... I'm so enamored with and reliant on my 2HBH for service returns that I was actually standing on the baseline (... was playing doubles and had the AD court) waiting to receive serve and I was only about three feet away from the center hash mark (tempting the server to serve to my backhand) ... and it worked ... I did get aced once, but any serve to my BH I jumped on ... FELT GOOD! I'm still struggling with my FH return ... bad footwork and poor preparation ... swing's also not so hot (... it's odd because I have a pretty good FH on groundies ... not so with service return ... alas, something else to work on!)

I did once return better with my backhand because all i do is watch the ball then swing without any hesitation. Do you also feel that your backhand swing is much faster than your FH swing? I believe the difference b/t the BH and FH service return is because you actually "swing fast" at the ball as opposed to slice the shots or doing all the things with what your FH is capable of doing. I'm not sure if you encounter the same experience as I did but it sure does feel great when you see results with the backhand after working on it. Sounds like you have established your backhand game, shouldn't you start rebuilding your FH? lol...don't lose that FH partner!

Davis937
12-30-2009, 02:28 PM
I did once return better with my backhand because all i do is watch the ball then swing without any hesitation. Do you also feel that your backhand swing is much faster than your FH swing? I believe the difference b/t the BH and FH service return is because you actually "swing fast" at the ball as opposed to slice the shots or doing all the things with what your FH is capable of doing. I'm not sure if you encounter the same experience as I did but it sure does feel great when you see results with the backhand after working on it. Sounds like you have established your backhand game, shouldn't you start rebuilding your FH? lol...don't lose that FH partner!

... hmmm ... you could be right ... my 2HBH involves a more compact set up and swing ... consequently, I think I have better preparation and a resulting faster swing than my FH ... I know it certainly "feels" a lot better than the FH and consequently I'm much more confident with that BH stroke ... again ... this probably results in a better shot than my shaky FH ... "... my kingdom for a FH " ... people don't believe me (kinda counter-intuitive) ... but the FY is a very difficult stroke ... again, just too many parts ... too many nuances ... too many opportunities for a break down!