PDA

View Full Version : NXT 16 @58, VS Touch at ?

tarkowski
12-24-2009, 07:44 AM
String gurus,

I have a friend using NXT and he really likes it - likes the comfort, pocketing, and the power level. At my prompting, he's wanting to try VS Touch for the first time and was asking me about tension. Since it's more powerful, I was thinking 60-62? But at the same time, it holds tension better and provides more spin so maybe the same tension, 58? He's in another state so I can't hit with his current setup to see for myself.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

chancep2120
12-24-2009, 08:08 AM
I'd go at 60-62. More control is better IMO. With gut its gunna creep down a few pounds, so you might be ending up around 58 anyways.

scotus
12-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Since it's more powerful, I was thinking 60-62?

Yes, that's the right thinking.

But at the same time, it holds tension better and provides more spin so maybe the same tension, 58?

Although gut retains tension better, it does lose tension. The problem is that the VS will outlast NXT serveral times (about 4X in my case), unless your friend is the kind of player who chews up any gut or multi in a few hours. This superior durability means it has a longer time over which to lose tension. Therefore, I do not recommend decreasing tension on account of its tension-holding ability.

Another factor to consider is price. If NXT gets too loose, you just throw out a $16-string. If VS gets too loose to play with, then you are throwing out a $41-string.

All the more reason to err on the side of higher tension.

tarkowski
12-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks much for the advice guys. Like me, he is not a string breaker. Though he usually breaks NXT about the time he feels the need to cut it out due to loss in tension. Will have em go a bit higher to 62. Thanks again!

hoodjem
12-24-2009, 12:37 PM
String gurus,

I have a friend using NXT and he really likes it - likes the comfort, pocketing, and the power level. At my prompting, he's wanting to try VS Touch for the first time and was asking me about tension. Since it's more powerful, I was thinking 60-62? But at the same time, it holds tension better and provides more spin so maybe the same tension, 58? He's in another state so I can't hit with his current setup to see for myself.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
What size head?

60 sounds about right.

tarkowski
12-24-2009, 04:39 PM
What size head?

60 sounds about right.

Hi hoodjem,

K90.

Deus_Ex_McEnroe
12-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Mmm assume Full VS or VS with NXT? You dont really say. If its full then 60-62 agree is a good start to test depending on your friends power and racket Full Natty Gut definitely has oomf. Also if u want to prolong the life even longer; use string savers (Babalot) really doubles the life but makes stiffer (tension). Lose SOME feel but worth it.

ClubHoUno
12-25-2009, 12:34 AM
I just got my 2 PSGT LIMITED strung with full VS 17, and because It's winter here and cold & the 2 racquets for the VS 17 JOB are the low powered PSGT LIMITED frames, I though I would go low, so had them both strung @ 58 lbs mains and 60 lbs crosses - but boy was I wrong.
Wayyy too much power and strings are moving already.

But had to try to go low TENSION IN GUT ONCE and you only learn from your mistakes in life :D

The frames still play FANTASTIC but I have to tone down the way I swing a bit, so will have it done 4-5 lbs higher next time I try full VS 17.

So don't go lower than 62 lbs for full VS IN MY VIEW !!!!!

hoodjem
12-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi hoodjem,

K90.Maybe 61, at the most. You could go higher on the VS gut, but then you should raise the NXT tension. (3 lbs. is about right for a 90 head.)
The reason I ask about the head-size is that with smaller heads (90 sq in.) you don't want the differential too be too wide.

Remember, per the post above by ClubHoUno, the Bab PSGT is 98 sq. in., the K90 is 90.

Here's the hardness numbers on these two strings:
Wilson NXT 16 Nylon 1.30 198
Babolat VS Touch Thermogut 16 Natural Gut 1.30 107

jazzyfunkybluesy
12-25-2009, 09:43 AM
I would use the same tension. Especially if you are prestretching the gut and not the multi.

tarkowski
12-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Maybe 61, at the most. You could go higher on the VS gut, but then you should raise the NXT tension. (3 lbs. is about right for a 90 head.)
The reason I ask about the head-size is that with smaller heads (90 sq in.) you don't want the differential too be too wide.

Remember, per the post above by ClubHoUno, the Bab PSGT is 98 sq. in., the K90 is 90.

Here's the hardness numbers on these two strings:
Wilson NXT 16 Nylon 1.30 198
Babolat VS Touch Thermogut 16 Natural Gut 1.30 107

Hi hoodjem, I see what you're getting at. The bigger the head, the bigger the differential to make up for the longer string distances. Just to be clear too, he would be going full gut, not a gut-nxt hybrid.

I asked him about the power-level he gets out of NXT and he noted it was just about perfect, but wouldn't mind some extra-oomph early on and more control over the life of the string. I'm thinking 60 will be a great first option taking all into account. Probably more oomph to start, and more consistent power throughout it's life?

Thanks all for all the responses! Keep em coming if there is more info... will not be getting it strung until after the holidays.

ClubHoUno
12-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Maybe 61, at the most. You could go higher on the VS gut, but then you should raise the NXT tension. (3 lbs. is about right for a 90 head.)

No not exactly true - my PSGT LIMITED RACQUETS ARE 95 SQ", while my PSGT TOUR's are 98 SQ"

Also my PSGT LIMITED has a 18x20 string pattern while my PSGT TOUR has as 16x20 string pattern.

The more denne the string pattern and the smaller the head is, the less tight the tension should be - relatively speaking of course.
I find that I can go 1 lbs lower in tension in my LIMITED 95 SQ" 18x20 and feel pretty much the same tension as 1 lbs higher in tension in my TOUR 98 SQ" 16x20 - so the difference is not that big.