PDA

View Full Version : Need A Good Gut For Hybrid

Cindysphinx
12-24-2009, 11:33 AM
I finally broke a string yesterday! For the first time ever. I felt like such a Tough Guy. :cool:

This, of course, means I need to buy some gut for my hybrid. I have Kirschbaum ProLine II and Spiky Shark. Last time, the pro provided me with a set of some gut or other, but he's out so I need to buy my own.

What would be a good gut for me? I like this gut hybrid set-up and how much play I got out of my last string job (August). It felt great right up until the shot on which it broke. Very impressive.

I don't need anything worthy of a touring pro. I'm just a 3.5, after all. So something that isn't wicked expensive would be nice.

Any recommendations?

scotus
12-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I always recommend the best -- viz. Babolat VS.

But since you are thinking of hybriding it with Spiky Shark, I wonder if those "spiky" edges might chew right through the gut.

I have not tried Klip Armor Pro, but this gut is known to have a really tough coating and just might be what you want.

For me, VS lasts plenty long, and it will last a long time in a hybrid setting with Pro Line.

But I have never used Spiky Shark, and I hear it is a really stiff string. You might want to stay away from it for your arm's sake.

meowmix
12-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately, the reviews from the blind stringtest on Armor Pro were really negative, as in they couldn't tell that the string was actually a natural gut string. I too would recommend VS if you can spend the 21 bucks for a half set. If you can't, then consider Pacific Class, which comes in at 13.50 for a half set.

Cindysphinx
12-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Hmmm. That's interesting.

I strung my two rackets at about the same time. The spiky shark broke; the pro line shows little wear.

Maybe those Spiky Shark edges do wear through the gut?

hoodjem
12-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Klip Legend works well in hybrids.

Half-set from TW for $17, not bad.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/KLIP_Legend_Natural_Gut_16_String_Half_Set/descpageACKLIP-KLHS16.html

number.432
12-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Congrats on your first breakage! :eek:

What was that set that broke?

Was going to recommend VS as scotus said. I have been a long time Klip legend user. Recenlty, I put a full set of VS in a new frame and like it very much. Might convert soon! Also have tried Tonic 15L main with Lux BBO rough cross in the other identical frame (w/o stringsavers). String shows very little sign of Lux digging into Tonic after 6 hours of hard hitting.

Have you ever played full gut? If so what kind and how do you feel that play compare to gut/poly hybrid?

bsardana
12-24-2009, 02:35 PM

What would be a good gut for me? I like this gut hybrid set-up and how much play I got out of my last string job (August). It felt great right up until the shot on which it broke. Very impressive.

I don't need anything worthy of a touring pro. I'm just a 3.5, after all. So something that isn't wicked expensive would be nice.

Any recommendations?

If you are stringing under 55 lbs, ping Global Gut folks and see if they can provide you with their new 17 gauge gut - it is a combination of 80-85% gut + some synthetics to prolong the durability. For price and performance, it cannot be beat. Also, when you string it, ensure that the stringing speeds are low to medium.

Deus_Ex_McEnroe
12-24-2009, 08:24 PM
VS gut is expensive but well if u arent a string breaker; Id go for that; as someone suggested for me - add some string savers in the sweet spot area and Spikey Shark I had same worry when I was thinking of using Black Code cross... I cant say from experience but Id use a smooth Co-Poly for Gut to be safe.

jim e
12-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Its hard to beat VS gut. It's also well worth it if you are not a big string breaker.

ClubHoUno
12-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Cindy, since you're not a string breaker, you really should consider BABOLAT VS 17 in the mains and a SMOOTH CoPoly in the CROSSES.

A ROUGH edged or TWISTED CoPoly will eat into the gut faster and diminsh the life of the gut considerably.
So always try to use a SMOOTH CoPoly for a hybrid with a Natty gut string.
If you're not a stringbreaker, try the ULTIMATIVE IN PLAYABILITY, SPIN PRODUCTION AND SOFTNESS ON THE ARM - BABOLAT VS TEAM 17.

I play with VS 17 in full job in my 2 PSGT LIMITED now, and let me tell you - It's heaven on earth to play with. You can generte power with so much ease, you won't believe it....
You become a master at the net, volleys are so much more easy with this string.

If not in a full job try the VS 17 in a hybrid with a soft smooth CoPoly and you can play for the next 3-4-5 month with the best string job you ever imagined possible.

String the gut 3-4 lbs lower than the CoPoly - because It's softer.

Good luck - BABOLAT VS GUT RULEZZZZ :D

Cindysphinx
12-27-2009, 12:22 PM
The set that broke was Spiky Shark + a gut. This pro likes All Things Kirschbaum, so that gut is probably what I had.

OK, I will try the VS and see how it goes. I think I will pass the rest of my Spiky Shark on to a friend. I am totally hooked on gut; I don't think I can ever go back.

Now I gotta find the rest of the Spiky Shark. It is deep in the bottom of some closet or other. . . .