PDA

View Full Version : Question for Open Tourney players

JT_2eighty
12-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Just curious to anyone that plays usta men's open tourneys regularly or even not-so-regularly...

I understand the concept that it is open to anyone, but I'm wondering what you typically encounter in these... Meaning to say, is it usually recent college-grads and younger 20 year olds and/or players that are typically in the 5.0+ range? Or do you often/sometimes/never encounter a 3.5/4.0 player that is a bore to go up against?

Just running out of challenging players to hit with and thinking of joining an open here or there, since I am 29 and there are not as many (if any) 25s or 30s tourneys I see, compared to opens. Same thing with NTRP tourneys, not as many of those as there are open tourneys.

I'm an average 4.5 player and was curious if I will be more often looked-down on for joining an open, or somewhere in the middle, facing both 5.0+ and 4.5- players at random? I'd love the chance to play against some tougher 5.0+ players that will make me a better player, but on the flip side, I'm sure those players will be bored hitting with me. I understand the stories will vary on region, timing, etc., but I tried a search already and couldn't find any good open tourney discussions.

For any of you in the 5.0 plus, it must be even harder to find tough competition, so how do you feel/play when a weaker player is on the other side of the net in an open tourney or otherwise?

mikeler
12-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd say the Opens here in Florida have 4.5 players to 6.5. The higher end players only show up for the bigger prize tournaments.

darrinbaker00
12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd say the Opens here in Florida have 4.5 players to 6.5. The higher end players only show up for the bigger prize tournaments.
Same here in NorCal. Also, during the summer, it's not uncommon for players from Cal and Stanford to play Open tournaments.

Geezer Guy
12-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Depends on the tournament. If it's a USTA tournament the players that play in the "Open" draw (around here, anyway) are 4.5 and 5.0 and maybe above.

If it's not a USTA tournament, the Open draw will be comprised mostly of 3.5 - 4.5 players.

LeeD
12-24-2009, 04:40 PM
I find most Open tourneys have a quite a few A or 5.5 and better players, but occasionally, you luck into a strong 3.5/4 who wants to test himself.
Bad luck to draw a 6.5 your first round. It's just the mix and you can call it luck of the draw.
In the SanFranciscoBayArea, if you go 4 rounds, you WILL get to play a top Div1 or A level (5.5 or better) player.
And depends how big the tourney is and how traditional it is.

UnforcedError
12-24-2009, 07:15 PM
People that win the open tournaments are usually in the 6.5 to 6.0 range but you find people as low as 3.5 . I think you should go ahead and give it a shot for a few tournaments. You aren't going to win any but you could win a match or two.

tfm1973
12-25-2009, 07:17 AM
there's a guy on the forums - j011yroger who plays a couple of open tourneys. You could ask him about his experiences. He's very knowledgeable about wilson racquets and kevlar strings too. A veritable pirate's booty full of tennis info.

Riosfan
12-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I played two this year in Eastern.
First one I beat a heavy Indian 4.0 60 61. then I beat this guy Jacoubik who is like late 50s and overweight but has tough attacking game with soft hands, won 63 64. But he is ranked in top 10 of eastern opens. then won final over a 4.5 76 75. 3 hr match. two hour first set. Guy was about early 30s lefty.

second open I won first match vs. a Penn club player 4.5 level 63 75. next round I played an NYU college player 5.0 and lost in a third set TB. Mostly you will run into quality experienced players in opens, with a few 4.0 level guys trying to climb thew ranks or see where they stand.

JT_2eighty
12-28-2009, 10:12 AM
there's a guy on the forums - j011yroger who plays a couple of open tourneys. You could ask him about his experiences. He's very knowledgeable about wilson racquets and kevlar strings too. A veritable pirate's booty full of tennis info.

Ha, good one, yea I've seen the threads. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I'll just look at the entrance fee as the premium I have to pay to face tougher than 4.5 competition, and look forward to that improving my game. Rarely I can talk one of the 5.0s at the club to play a match, and although I've never won one of those, I have more fun losing a tough match than winning average to easy matches, since I've only lost twice at my current 4.5 league.

shissncg
12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
When I played in New England it was a mixed bag. There were a few younger guys, in college, or recent grads. And some late-20's early 30's guys. Not too many over 35. Mostly 4.5 and above, but the occasional 4.0 might show up if they were local.