PDA

View Full Version : Backhand Grip

Heroesque
12-24-2009, 02:44 PM
What grip should I use for my backhand?
I used to use a (as a lefty): lefthand - continental, righthand - semiwestern
but recently I just tried to switch to an eastern grip on both hands.

I can get more power, and it's easier to drive through the ball. But then the ball goes long pretty often...
My backhand has always been pretty flat with low-net clearance (but pretty consistent).

Which grip should I use? or suggest me a new grip:)

jstout
12-24-2009, 03:36 PM
For the two-handed backhand,
Non-dominant Swing: Non-dominant in Semi-Western/Eastern and Dominant in Eastern/Continental
Dominant Swing: Non-dominant in Eastern/Continental and Dominant in Eastern Backhand/Continental

If you want more topspin then you want to dip the racquet head (allowing more low to high) or swing more vertically.

Heroesque
12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
What do you mean by a non-dominant or dominant swing?
and is there a difference between eastern and eastern bh grips?

Sorry if these questions seem nooby D=

jstout
12-24-2009, 04:12 PM
What do you mean by a non-dominant or dominant swing?
and is there a difference between eastern and eastern bh grips?

Sorry if these questions seem nooby D=

Non-dominant swing would be like a forehand with your non-dominant arm (since you are a lefty the right arm is the main part of the swing)
Dominant swing would be like a one-handed backhand (as a lefty your left arm is the main part of the swing)

Eastern and Eastern Backhand are on opposite sides of the continental grip. With your left arm Eastern is the left side and Eastern Backhand is the right side. With your right arm Eastern is the right side and Eastern Backhand is the left side.

Heroesque
12-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Isn't the eastern backhand the same as the western then?

LeeD
12-24-2009, 05:34 PM
I'll forgo trying to understand the last 3 posts.
If you go double conti, you can hit low balls easily and slice easily.
If you go double Eastern, you can hit flat easily and hip high balls easily.
If you go double SW, you can hit topspin easily and chest high balls easily.
If you go double Western, you'd mostly topspin and handle upper chest high balls with ease.
So you mix say..... SW oft hand and switch to conti dominant hand to hit mostly topspins, but when forced to run wide, you can slice with your conti gripped dominant hand.....:shock:

Davis937
12-26-2009, 01:54 AM
What grip should I use for my backhand?
I used to use a (as a lefty): lefthand - continental, righthand - semiwestern
but recently I just tried to switch to an eastern grip on both hands.

I can get more power, and it's easier to drive through the ball. But then the ball goes long pretty often...
My backhand has always been pretty flat with low-net clearance (but pretty consistent).

Which grip should I use? or suggest me a new grip:)

As mentioned earlier, not sure whether you mean eastern forehand or eastern backhand grip (pretty different grips) ... regardless I suggest you return to using the dominant hand (left for you) - continental grip ... and nondominant hand (right) in the semi-western grip ... I think this 2hBH grip allows you to hit with some topspin ... consequently, you should be hitting with pretty good pace and control ... also, as mentioned, if you are stretched out, you can remove your nondominant hand and slice the ball ... but ... comfort and confidence are also important ... you probably need to choose the 2HBH grip that works best for you.