PDA

View Full Version : French Open 05

tiadeserbia
04-21-2005, 09:48 PM
What are your predictions for the French Open winner for both men/women?
Nadal really showed after Monte Carlo that he is in great shape, so I see him playing good in France too, and for the ladies I expect it to be very interesting...I'll cheer for Devanport (she played ok in Amelia Island).
What do you guys think?

Fee
04-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Max Mirnyi!

Just kidding, but he did win some unexpected matches this week :D

I'm absolutely horrible at predicting things like this, but I will say keep an eye on Juan Carlos Ferrero. Yes, he's been off the radar for the last year, but he has been creeping back each week lately, so I think he might just peak at RG, get inspired somehow. Good draw, a lucky break here or there, it could happen...

wildbill88AA
04-21-2005, 09:56 PM
still a little early. nadal - henin-hardenne
lindsay will need a miracle

tiadeserbia
04-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Yeah i know it's kinda early. but I like the French Open because it's always so unpredictable, it gives opportunity to more players.
i could not decide really for my women's pick, but Henin still did not seem so convincing...maybe even Clajsters...and Russians are always actual:D

tennissavy
04-21-2005, 10:06 PM
It is really hard to predict but it seems Nadal could have his big breakthrough, or crash early rounds as he might feel the weight of expectation now on him.
Clijsters is the one to watch, if she can hold up mentally and of course if her wrist is healthy. She was extremely impressive in her technique, movement and mental focus in her recent,back to back, tournament wins.

With those shaky predictions, the field is so wide open for the atp and wta. I could also, in no particular order, easily imagine any of these top players or lesser known players winning it all: Safin, Hewitt, Coria, Nalbandian, Agassi, Federer or Canas. Henin, Serena, Farina-Elia, Davenport, Schnyder, Sharapova, Pierce, Myskina or Dementieva.

Jill
04-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Max Mirnyi!Hey, that's what I was gonna say!!!!!!!! hahahahahaha

Lindsay, as much as I love her, will not win RG. Is Kim winning too much to ask? :neutral: I'm pretty confident Myskina won't repeat, considering her 2005 form....

on the men's side... the "usual suspects" Coria, Nadal, Gaudio, Ferrero... can't discount Federer I guess...normally I'd include Moya and Safin, but they both seem lost. Then again, Marat can turn his brain on instantly and unexpectedly, it seems, so you never know! It's kinda funny that Nadal is such a favorite considering he's never actually even played RG before!

I'd love nothing more for JCF to really announce his 'comeback' by having a great run. Guga, too, but I think he's further away from that being a realistic expectation...

I'm really in the mood for winners that are total surprises. How about.... Golovin and Ferrer? Gonzo? Just someone that's a surprise... LOL

aj_m2009
04-21-2005, 10:30 PM
...I'm really in the mood for winners that are total surprises. How about.... Golovin and Ferrer? Gonzo? Just someone that's a surprise... LOL

How about Golovin and Gasquet?:D

Prince_of_Tennis
04-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Guga Guga Guga!!!

Feņa14
04-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Well I have got to go with my man JC, he's in good form and he has the experience.

I read somewhere that Nadal said to a Spanish newspaper that he is treating RG as just a warm up for Wimbledon :o

Jill
04-22-2005, 04:14 PM
How about Golovin and Gasquet?:DSure! ;) That'd be cute!

As for Nadal.. he has said many times the tourney he wants to win is Wimby... but... I think he's gonna win RG before he wins Wimby... way before...

aj_m2009
04-22-2005, 04:31 PM
How about Golovin and Gasquet?:DSure! ;) That'd be cute!

I don't know about it being cute but I would like to see it.

As for Nadal.. he has said many times the tourney he wants to win is Wimby... but... I think he's gonna win RG before he wins Wimby... way before...

I don't know about that, he did get to the 3rd round at 16. If he can continue that preformance there I think he has a shot, especially now that he has a lot more experience.

Jill
04-22-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't know about that, he did get to the 3rd round at 16. If he can continue that preformance there I think he has a shot, especially now that he has a lot more experience.You think he's gonna win wimbledon before Roland Garros???? Ok, you are entitled to think that :) I respectfully disagree :) His serve is too weak for grass as of yet, and he hits with so much topspin that is not nearly as effective on grass. I think any of the good grass-courters would take him out on grass at this point in his career, whereas I think he is one of the top faves for RG this year or next.

aj_m2009
04-22-2005, 05:06 PM
You think he's gonna win wimbledon before Roland Garros???? Ok, you are entitled to think that :) I respectfully disagree :) His serve is too weak for grass as of yet, and he hits with so much topspin that is not nearly as effective on grass. I think any of the good grass-courters would take him out on grass at this point in his career, whereas I think he is one of the top faves for RG this year or next.

I don't think he is going to win it before RG, I meant that I don't think he will win RG way before Wimbly. I think that he can win both within a few years of each other.

scoot
04-22-2005, 06:22 PM
predicting RG at least for the men is akin to predicting the lottery. useless exercise.

Feņa14
04-23-2005, 03:53 AM
You think he's gonna win wimbledon before Roland Garros???? Ok

Well I suppose it's possible, on Clay there are alot of very good players, anyone can beat anyone really.

On grass, there are alot less who really excel on the surface. I don't think Nadal can beat Federer on grass, but I think he has a good chance against anyone else.

Wimbledon is a lot less of a lottery it awards shot-makers. Hewitt has a similar game to Nadal and he did well there I believe.

It's going to be interesting to see :)

efice32
04-23-2005, 09:25 AM
I think Nadal can win both Wimbledon and RG, but I think he'll win RG first, specifically this year. As for Nadal having a similar game to Hewitt, I don't see that comparison at all. Nadal hits with heavy topsping whereas Hewitt hits more flat, Nadal can hit winners from almost any position when Hewitt just usually gets the ball back in play when he's stretched. I think Hewitt can be more consistent than Nadal, but Nadal has better put-away groundstrokes. As for the women's side, I actually could see Tatiana Golovin making her breakthrough at RG this year. She played extremely well at the Family Circle Cup this year losing in the semifinals to Henin-Hardenne in a match that could've very easily gone the other way. Look for Golovin to have a big tournament or be ousted in the early rounds. I don't see her losing in the Round of 16 or QF's. We'll just have to wait and see.

scoot
04-23-2005, 12:15 PM
I dont see Nadal winning wimbledon unless he dramatically improves his serve (which is possible - he is still young). His game is not designed for grass.

federerhoogenbandfan
04-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Nadal definitely will not win Wimbledon this year, but he could many years down the road. I sort of doubt it though, I think Fed has more chance to win the French in his career, than Nadal Wimbledon.

As of right now I think Nadal, Coria, and Federer would be the first three favorites for the French. Moya, Ferrero, and Gaudio, would be in the main challengers group after that. Gonzales, Massu, Nalbandian, and Gasquet would be my dark horses.

For the women I would put Clijsters, Henin, and Davenport as the favorites. Serena and Mauresmo as the next group of contenders. Outside hopefuls
would be Kuznetsova, Venus, Dementieva, and maybe Myskina, last years fluke champion.

scoot
04-23-2005, 12:40 PM
its sad, b/c if the FO were played in germany mauresmo would be in the 1st tier of favorites. I wish she'd get over her nerves already.

federerhoogenbandfan
04-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah I agree, it is only the pressure of the atmosphere and expectations in France keeping her from winning the event. If it was in Germany or Spain she probably would have won it two or three times by now. As far as surface goes, it is her best chance. She is very good on grass and hard courts, but she does not match up as well against some of the huge hitters there as she does on clay.

Feņa14
04-23-2005, 01:53 PM
As for Nadal having a similar game to Hewitt, I don't see that comparison at all. Nadal hits with heavy topsping whereas Hewitt hits more flat, Nadal can hit winners from almost any position when Hewitt just usually gets the ball back in play when he's stretched. I think Hewitt can be more consistent than Nadal, but Nadal has better put-away groundstrokes.

Yeah I see what you mean, I was comparing them with the weaker serve and weaker volleys and they both never let the ball bounce twice and they have amazing speed around the court.

Hewitt managed to do it, and with Nadal's determination I agree that he can do it in a few years time.

Nadal certainly thinks he can do it if he just see's RG as a warm up.

aj_m2009
04-23-2005, 05:34 PM
For the women I would put Clijsters, Henin, and Davenport as the favorites. Serena and Mauresmo as the next group of contenders. Outside hopefuls
would be Kuznetsova, Venus, Dementieva, and maybe Myskina, last years fluke champion.

You put Venus, Demetieva, Myskina, and Kuznetsova before Sharapova?

obackvalobasha
04-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Nadal is going to win Wimby over roger's dead body. Thats all im going to say.

driger
04-23-2005, 09:42 PM
You put Venus, Demetieva, Myskina, and Kuznetsova before Sharapova?

Feds no fan of maria. Be great if she won the FO.