PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour stringing instructions

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-24-2009, 05:19 PM
I plan to string using the two piece method. Being a new stringer, can anyone provide me with the following info?

Where do I:

Start mains:
Main Skips:
Tie off Mains:
Start cross:
Last cross:
Starting knot for first cross:
Tie off cross:

Thanks so much!

Dez
12-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I plan to string using the two piece method. Being a new stringer, can anyone provide me with the following info?

Where do I:

Start mains: BOTTOM
Main Skips: 8ths Both bottom and top
Tie off Mains: 6th BOTTOM
Start cross: 8th Top, (1st Cross)
Last cross: 8th from bottom
Starting knot for first cross: Knot on 7th Top
Tie off cross: Knot on 6th Bottom (repeat, same as Vertical)

Thanks so much!

That's how I string my friends AEROGEL 300 and it's fine, I don't think the 4d is different but not 100% sure.

Hope this helps.

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Hmm thanks, but i think the 300 tour is different because of the 18x20 pattern.

Standupnfall
12-25-2009, 03:52 PM
AEROGEL 4D 3 HUNDRED
Tension 55 - 65
Length 20'M - 17'C
Pattern 16M X 19C
Skip M Holes 8T - 8B
Tie Off M 6B
Start C 8T
Tie Off C 7T - 4B

http://www.klipperusa.com/stringing/viewpattern.php?mfg=TDUN

Double check here to make sure I pasted info corectly and bookmark the klipper usa homepage

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-25-2009, 07:11 PM
The pattern for my racquet is 18x20... I've never strung an 18x20 before, only 16x19. I just need basic instructions to string an 18x20 pattern. Thanks for the help though.

Standupnfall
12-26-2009, 05:36 AM
So did you bother to look at the link I provided you?

Next time specify "Tour" which your stick apparently is and you will get the right answer.

This is your info, but again please follow the link to double check.
Make sure you cut enough string for the 21ft mains

AEROGEL 4D 3 HUNDRED TOUR
55 - 65
21'M - 18'C
18M X 20C
8,10T - 8,10B
9B
8T
6T - 6B

tennisINmyBLOOD
12-26-2009, 04:33 PM
So did you bother to look at the link I provided you?

Next time specify "Tour" which your stick apparently is and you will get the right answer.

This is your info, but again please follow the link to double check.
Make sure you cut enough string for the 21ft mains

AEROGEL 4D 3 HUNDRED TOUR
55 - 65
21'M - 18'C
18M X 20C
8,10T - 8,10B
9B
8T
6T - 6B

Thank you for mentioning 21 feet for the mains, and yes, I did specify TOUR on the title of this thread.

Standupnfall
12-26-2009, 04:46 PM
< removing foot from mouth

Sorry, good luck, hope it goes well

JackB1
04-08-2010, 08:51 AM
So how did it go?

10ACE
04-08-2010, 09:11 AM
So how did it go?

JACKB1 are you using a Dunlop 300 tour now instead of the BLX 95 18x20?

JackB1
04-08-2010, 09:33 AM
JACKB1 are you using a Dunlop 300 tour now instead of the BLX 95 18x20?

Yes. I leaded up the 300 Tour a little to be similar to the BLX and I really like it. I am just better off with softer racquets. I did REALLY like the BLX95 though. I can't say a bad thing about it. Just a hair too stiff for me.

10ACE
04-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Yes. I leaded up the 300 Tour a little to be similar to the BLX and I really like it. I am just better off with softer racquets. I did REALLY like the BLX95 though. I can't say a bad thing about it. Just a hair too stiff for me.

JackB1 I have a ton of land to sell you, cheap in the Mojave desert.

kidding aside- Dunlop makes a great stick- I am actually going back to my old sticks tonight having lost 3 matches in a row with the BLX 95. Not the Racquets fault- but my back hand and serve is much better with my old stick for now

tennisINmyBLOOD
04-08-2010, 07:58 PM
So how did it go?

Wow this thread is old now!

Since the time I posted the thread, I've been experimenting with a lot of string. I haven't found my favorite setup yet however. I do know that to achieve optimal feel, you need to use a thinner gauge... 17L or 18, otherwise the racket feels very muted. I currently have Head FXP 17 in the mains at 55 lbs and MSV Focus Hex 1.18 mm in the crosses at 53 lbs. Not the smartest choice to put MSV in the crosses as it'll cut through the mains easily, but I wanted more feel from my setup so I used a multi in the mains. I have a whole reel of Focus Hex so I figured I'd use it up. Using a multi in the mains and poly in crosses definitely adds a little more pop than a poly/multi hybrid, which was what I was looking for. I added 3 grams of lead at 12 to bring the sweetspot up and increase overall stability.

Honestly, the AG 4D 300 Tour is probably the best racket I've ever picked up, feels very good with a lot of control. Serves are amazing with this racket! However, I found the stick to be a little too demanding for my level right now. I'll be keeping this stick to use in the future as I get better. I'll admit that a lighter tweener with a bigger head size offers me less unforced errors.

By the way, does anyone feel that a one handed backhand feels better than a two hander with this racket? I can't seem to generate much power with my two hander, but I'm really ripping it with my forehand.

pvaudio
04-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Since the time I posted the thread, I've been experimenting with a lot of string. I haven't found my favorite setup yet however. I do know that to achieve optimal feel, you need to use a thinner gauge... 17L or 18, otherwise the racket feels very muted. I currently have Head FXP 17 in the mains at 55 lbs and MSV Focus Hex 1.18 mm in the crosses at 53 lbs. Not the smartest choice to put MSV in the crosses as it'll cut through the mains easily, but I wanted more feel from my setup so I used a multi in the mains. I have a whole reel of Focus Hex so I figured I'd use it up. Using a multi in the mains and poly in crosses definitely adds a little more pop than a poly/multi hybrid, which was what I was looking for. I added 3 grams of lead at 12 to bring the sweetspot up and increase overall stability.

Honestly, the AG 4D 300 Tour is probably the best racket I've ever picked up, feels very good with a lot of control. Serves are amazing with this racket! However, I found the stick to be a little too demanding for my level right now. I'll be keeping this stick to use in the future as I get better. I'll admit that a lighter tweener with a bigger head size offers me less unforced errors.

By the way, does anyone feel that a one handed backhand feels better than a two hander with this racket? I can't seem to generate much power with my two hander, but I'm really ripping it with my forehand.Once you learn how to hit a 1HBH properly, it doesn't compare to the feel of a 2HBH. Having been taught a 2HBH then switching to a 1HBH on my own accord, I haven't looked back since.

pvaudio
04-08-2010, 08:05 PM

By the way, does anyone feel that a one handed backhand feels better than a two hander with this racket? I can't seem to generate much power with my two hander, but I'm really ripping it with my forehand.No. Stick with the racquet and grow into it. It'll help you learn proper technique that doesn't apply with tweener racquets. The tweener frames are often lighter and more head heavy, and once you develop good strokes (especially serves), a head heavy frame is usually the last thing you want when you're generating your own pace and racquet head speed. I can't get my AG100s HL enough!

JackB1
04-08-2010, 08:34 PM

What is your level? I dont think the AG300T is THAT demanding. Its got a 98" head and pretty good pop and sweetspot and without adding weight, is pretty light.

tennisINmyBLOOD
04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
What is your level? I dont think the AG300T is THAT demanding. Its got a 98" head and pretty good pop and sweetspot and without adding weight, is pretty light.

I'm about a 3.0 female playing HS varsity tennis. I added 3 g of lead at 12, which is probably why it feels a bit sluggish for me. Without the lead, I can't play with the racket... feels too unstable for my liking. The lead makes a huge difference; it gives the racket a more solid feel. For my level, I'd benefit more from a frame with a larger head. I've found that I mishit much more with a 98 than say a 102 sq. inch frame. Love everything about the racket other than that though!

JackB1
04-09-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm about a 3.0 female playing HS varsity tennis. I added 3 g of lead at 12, which is probably why it feels a bit sluggish for me. Without the lead, I can't play with the racket... feels too unstable for my liking. The lead makes a huge difference; it gives the racket a more solid feel. For my level, I'd benefit more from a frame with a larger head. I've found that I mishit much more with a 98 than say a 102 sq. inch frame. Love everything about the racket other than that though!

take the lead off the tip and add it at the 3 & 9 oclock positions. Maybe 1 gram in each spot on bith sides (4 grams in total). Lead at the top has the most effect on swingweight (thats why it feels sluggish) and weight at 3/9 adds stability....more so than at 12. Give it a try!

tennisINmyBLOOD
04-09-2010, 05:58 PM
take the lead off the tip and add it at the 3 & 9 oclock positions. Maybe 1 gram in each spot on bith sides (4 grams in total). Lead at the top has the most effect on swingweight (thats why it feels sluggish) and weight at 3/9 adds stability....more so than at 12. Give it a try!

Thanks Jack, I'll give it a try. I've put lead at 3 and 9 but wasn't as happy as when I put it at 12. Will try again though.

JackB1
04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I posted this in another thread, but can anyone who has strung a 300 Tour help with this problem?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=323539

stician
04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks Jack, I'll give it a try. I've put lead at 3 and 9 but wasn't as happy as when I put it at 12. Will try again though.

I started to modify my 4D 300 Tour as well last summer. Coincidentally I found adding 2-3 grams of lead at 12 o'clock felt better over stock, improved stability and depth of shots. It felt a little bit slower initially but the feeling went away in about a week. It played well until I went in to see RPNY to help maximize the potential. Now I have ~9.25 grams in the hoop under the bumper and 5gs in the upper part of the handle as counter balance. It's been quite the game change for me. Pace, control and comfort all went up. Now testing 35 lbs with a copoly... big changes this spring but I'm playing better than ever. I'm a 32 male 4.5+ player so YMMV.

rudester
04-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I have just acquired a 4D 300 tour and ended up putting 1.5 grams of lead each at 9, 10, and 12. Definitely improves it's playing characteristics, it is a fine racquet, would really be interested to find out how others like yourself have modified their 4D 300 Tours. So much custom potential here.

stician
04-19-2010, 12:24 PM
I have just acquired a 4D 300 tour and ended up putting 1.5 grams of lead each at 9, 10, and 12. Definitely improves it's playing characteristics, it is a fine racquet, would really be interested to find out how others like yourself have modified their 4D 300 Tours. So much custom potential here.

Although my frames were matched by me, I was guessing on setups before getting a consultation with Roman Prokes at RPNY. We talked at length about my game, where I felt I was lacking and his solution was a little more weight and move the balance point closer to even. He said a couple of things that was contrary to my belief prior to meeting him. 1) heavier racquets are better for preventing arm injuries, 2) you either use heavy racquet with HL balance or lighter racquet with HH balance.

He suggested that I don't change too much from what I had so he started me off with level 1 customizing. And as I get stronger over the next 6 months to move even higher. The formula to his level 1 is achieving a balance of 32.5cm and increasing unstrung weight to 325 grams. But we also discussed custom handle work so he worked on my frame without overgrip. It played well until I needed to add an overgrip and the balance no longer felt as good. Then I couldn't get a hold of him once Miami Masters started. He has a few pro customers and I guess it's understanding that's where the money is for him and team.

I took over and finished my racquets doing my best to stay within his formula. Because level 1 felt so good already I decided to counter the overgrip weight (4 grams) by adding 4 grams to the 12 o'clock position. It's not perfect because it did change the balance from 32.5 cm to 33.3 cm. It still plays really well though so I went on and matched my other frame.

Right now on frame #1 as reference I have 9.25 grams in the hoop under the bumper and 5 grams of lead tape on the pallet .5 inch below where it begins from the top. Overgrip, strings and small damper brings total weight to 337.5 grams and 33.3 cm balance. Hope this helps.

Consigliere73
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
I have just acquired a 4D 300 tour and ended up putting 1.5 grams of lead each at 9, 10, and 12.

Do you mean 9,3 and 12?

Otherwise your racquet would be lopsided weightwise!

Consigliere73
04-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Now I have ~9.25 grams in the hoop under the bumper and 5gs in the upper part of the handle as counter balance.

That's alot of lead! I've got 4g at 3 and 9 because I never felt that in stock form, I could quite feel the head properly during a swing. It's almost as if in stock form at least, (too) much of the weight is concentrated in the lower hoop, throat and/or handle area.

In your setup, where has you positioned the lead in the handle? Above the grip? Presumably with 9g at 12 and 5g from the butt cap, its turned into a slightly HH racquet? Doesn't it slow down the racquet head speed too much, particularly on serves?

stician
04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
That's alot of lead! I've got 4g at 3 and 9 because I never felt that in stock form, I could quite feel the head properly during a swing. It's almost as if in stock form at least, (too) much of the weight is concentrated in the lower hoop, throat and/or handle area.

In your setup, where has you positioned the lead in the handle? Above the grip? Presumably with 9g at 12 and 5g from the butt cap, its turned into a slightly HH racquet? Doesn't it slow down the racquet head speed too much, particularly on serves?

The 5 grams of lead tape is positioned on top of the pallet underneath the replacement grip and 1/2 inch from the top of where the pallet begins. It's not at the bottom or inside the end cap. My balance point is still HL at 13 1/8th inch balance point. If 13 4/8th is even balance, and 1/8th inch is 1 point, then I'm at 3 pts HL.

The added weight has improved my accuracy from serves to pretty much everywhere. The weight was felt initially, like 4 hours, but now I can't tell the difference. You don't have to swing a heavier racquet as fast to generate the same amount of pace and my racquet isn't heavy by any means.

sruckauf
04-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Now I have ~9.25 grams in the hoop under the bumper and 5gs in the upper part of the handle as counter balance. It's been quite the game change for me. Pace, control and comfort all went up. Now testing 35 lbs with a copoly... big changes this spring but I'm playing better than ever. I'm a 32 male 4.5+ player so YMMV.

Can I ask, where about is the 'upper part of the handle' you're mentioning here? I've done some counterbalancing with adding weight in the handle (lower part mostly), but am interested in exactly what upper part of the handle worked for you, because I've been a bit underwhelmed with my experience.. perhaps I am missing the boat with that. I appreciate any info here.

Thanks.

sruckauf
04-19-2010, 05:40 PM
^^^^^

Wow, good timing - you just answered my query.. thanks!

:)

nirianto
04-20-2010, 08:12 AM
The dunlop site is currently down. For a 2 piece stringing, how much string roughly do I need for the mains and cross?

On the klippermate site, it says 21' for the main and 18' for the cross. But the site specify that its for 1 piece stringing.

Anyone knows?

JackB1
04-20-2010, 08:48 AM
The dunlop site is currently down. For a 2 piece stringing, how much string roughly do I need for the mains and cross?

On the klippermate site, it says 21' for the main and 18' for the cross. But the site specify that its for 1 piece stringing.

Anyone knows?

For 2 piece: 21' x 18'
For 1 Piece: 39'

nirianto
04-20-2010, 09:23 AM
For 2 piece: 21' x 18'
For 1 Piece: 39'

And that should give enough string at the end to do the knots right?

Thanks!

JackB1
04-20-2010, 09:26 AM
And that should give enough string at the end to do the knots right?

Thanks!

yes. should be plenty