PDA

View Full Version : Best Tennis Resort of these 3...

Vyse
12-24-2009, 08:55 PM
So this summer I am going to have the oppurtunity to go to a tennis resort which I am very excited for. My dad has narrowed it down to

-Van Der Meer tennis resort
-Stan Smith's (Sea Pines)
-Palmetto Dunes

All three look real good and prestigious.

Does anyone know anything about these resorts? Any recommendations?
I really want to improve my game so I am also wondering if anyone knows which would be the best at doing that.

Geezer Guy
12-25-2009, 10:31 AM
You're a junior, right?

Van Der Meer: http://www.tennisresortsonline.com/trofiles/NewResorts.cfm?ResortID=280

Stan Smith: http://www.tennisresortsonline.com/trofiles/NewResorts.cfm?ResortID=656

Palmetto Dunes: no reviews for/by juniors. this is from the adult: http://www.tennisresortsonline.com/trofiles/Palmetto_Dunes.cfm

Check out the "Your Call" section at each one.

Blask
12-25-2009, 02:29 PM
I have been to the 2 in hilton head (sea pines and palmetto) and i definitely preferred Palmetto Dunes. Great instruction and it's a great location to stay on the island.

Vyse
12-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Thank you. This is a great website Geezer. And I will keep that in mind Blask. They all seem to have pretty good reviews

Z-Man
01-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I've played a good bit at all three. They're all great, but it kind of depends on what you're looking for. Will you be taking lessons? Clinics/drills? Are you looking for a mini-camp of sorts?

stanfordtennis alum
01-01-2010, 07:55 PM
stan smith is the best of the 3 IMO

Panic492
01-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I have been going to HHI for the past 17 years and have stayed at all 3 Planations and played at all 3 programs. It depends on what you are looking for. Are you going for 1 week vacation or a longer training deal? Sea Pines-Smith/Stearns probably has the better juniors program. As far a daily instruction, drills and competitive programs Sea Pines is slightly better (and has a few more courts) with Van Der Meer a close second. However, Van Der Meer/Shipyard has the nicer tennis clubhouse. The teaching staff at Sea Pines is outstanding, very stable-you see the same familiar freindly faces there year after year. Although Billy Stearns reminds me of Bollaterii's twin brother. HHI is a great tennis experience with tons of other things to do on the island (bring your golf clubs also).

10ispro
01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Sea Pines is easily the best for instruction. Good drills with an actual tactical purpose, not just hitting balls for seemingly no reason in a certain direction.
Palmetto Dunes can provide a great work out and you will hit alot of balls, just donot expect alot of great instruction. 90% of the drills are fed from a ball Machine at most of the upper level (above pure beginner).
VDM Shipyard is not a great place to train. Its where majority of new PTR certified Pro's are learning to teach. everyone is nice and very friendly but if you want real instruction, stay away.

HH in general is a great place. of everywhere there is to actually Train, I prefer Sea Pines

Vyse
01-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I am going there on a one week vacation.

I really want to get better and play a ton of tennis.

Drills, or a mini camp, anything sounds good to me really, as long as I am getting better and getting more experience.

If I recall my dad saying correctly, I think VDM had the most hours during the week during the weekly program which totalled out to be 18 plus free court time. I am not sure which the others were.

Thank you for the advice from all of you thus far

Z-Man
01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I am going there on a one week vacation.

I really want to get better and play a ton of tennis.

Drills, or a mini camp, anything sounds good to me really, as long as I am getting better and getting more experience.

If I recall my dad saying correctly, I think VDM had the most hours during the week during the weekly program which totalled out to be 18 plus free court time. I am not sure which the others were.

Thank you for the advice from all of you thus far

VDM Shipyard has some mini-camps that vary by level. I'm not sure Sea Pines does that kind of mini-camp. Sea Pines has "Grand Slam" advanced drills, regular drills, and a weekend doubles clinic that's for lower level players. The Advanced drills at Palmetto Dunes are good too, but I don't think a lesson there is as good as it would be at Sea Pines. Call all three or look at their websites for program details.

I go there several times a year, and I've been going there all my life. I'm a 4.5. I've come full circle, and don't do the drills much anymore. I just take lessons, which are really just hitting sessions. There are two guys at Sea Pines I like to hit with: Michael and Josh. Both are great players, both know how to teach, and most importantly, they are young guys who aren't afraid to rally with you or play drill games. I don't know what kind of junior programs they have, but if you want help with your game and you want to hit some live balls, ask for Michael or Josh.

Vyse
02-06-2010, 11:59 AM
From the look of things at the moment. It looks like Palmetto Dunes may be the best option for the entire family and we may be going there. For anyone that has been there, what kind of teaching do they do? How do they teach groundstrokes, serves, etc? I am very excited as I will be playing a ton but I am also curious how things are taught and such at Palmetto. Some of you mentioned a few things in the earlier posts but I was wondering if you could elaborate anymore. We may also move around and try a lesson or two from the others but primarily Palmetto Dunes. There is supposed to be 3 serve and return clinics thorughtout the week and other clinics/drills every day of the week. Thanks