PDA

View Full Version : is there anyway to make tennis balls "undead" again?

eddie0205
12-25-2009, 06:59 AM
i figure since cold temperature shrinks the air inside the balls and make it "deader" faster, maybe throwing them in the oven can "poof" them up again? but i googled this and couldn't find it obviously and i was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas?

apor
12-26-2009, 03:33 AM
heating up the inside air will only work as long as the air stays hot. besides, the heat will likely degrade the ball as well. there is an outfit that repressurizes balls, but i don't know the name, and they sell the balls to schools.
you could try the dunlop fort balls, they seem to hold pressure longer than other balls.

volusiano
12-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Heating the balls up is not effective because by the time you get to the court and start hitting, they'll have cooled down to ambient temperature and lose their bounce again. Even if they were still hot, you might have heated them up too much and made them too bouncy.

The right way is to force the air back into them by putting them inside a higher pressure air chamber for a period of time. But then you run the risk of over-pressurizing the balls unless you know the right amount of time under the right amount of pressure. Apparently there's a company (rebounces.com) that does this to revive and resell dead balls.

One way to avoid over-inflating the balls is to keep the pressure limited to the same as what's inside the original fresh balls (around 14 psi). But this may take a long time to get the balls restored, since higher pressure can restore the balls faster.

flashfire276
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
i figure since cold temperature shrinks the air inside the balls and make it "deader" faster, maybe throwing them in the oven can "poof" them up again? but i googled this and couldn't find it obviously and i was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas?

For pressurized balls, Gamma makes some nifty tool that can pressurize them again. I forgot what it's called, but you can look it up.

volusiano
12-30-2009, 04:48 PM
^^^ It's called the Gamma "Revive" Tennis Ball Pressurizer in a clear can of 3 balls. There's also a similar (& better) version in a yellow can called the "Tennis Ball Saver". I have both of these. They're good for keeping fresh balls stay fresh longer and not lose pressure further. But once the balls are flat, they really don't revive the dead balls and put pressure back into them as claimed, at least not for any reasonable amount of time.

Shaolin
12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Ive heard that putting them in the dryer will work. Never tried it though.

charliefedererer
01-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Ive heard that putting them in the dryer will work. Never tried it though.

Putting them in the dryer will only work until they cool down.
PV=nRT. The pressure increases only as long as the temperature remains high.

If someone wanted to be really clever, they could try injecting air into the ball with a syringe and a fine gague needle. But in the US where balls are so cheap, it's hard to see anyone wasting their time.