PDA

View Full Version : wilson 85 question

TheNatural
04-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Have a few questions

It the frame solid or hollow?

Also tensiosn says 55-65 instead of 50-60, is that relevant?

Is there any difference between the wilson 'staff" midsize 100% graphite and the 'wilson pro staff' midsize?

Thanks

ffrpg
04-22-2005, 08:10 AM
I think most graphite frames are hollow (up to a certain point). Some PS 85's do have different tension ranges. The older ones and the St Vincent versions typically have a higher tension range than the ones currently available. I have no clue what the Wilson Staff midsize 100% graphite is, but I would imagine that it would be different. The PS 85 isn't made up of 100% graphite.

TheNatural
04-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the hollowness answer.

Here is the picture for reference. There should be a few people who know a bit more.I thought All the wilson 85's were 80/20 graphite kevlar. So the '100% graphite ' writing is confusing. (The other side of the frame also says midsize in capital letters). I just want to find out if this is the same as all the other recemt versions, with just a cosmetic difference.

http://jiki.pbase.com/u12/xobies92/upload/42410674.Wilsonstaffmidsize.jpg

uk_skippy
04-22-2005, 01:37 PM
TheNatural,

as I cant seem to access your pic, is the Wilson you've got grey or black? Wilson produced a range of frame using the now familiar ProStaff mould, but with different compositions. The PS85 is 80 graphite/20 kevlar, the staff was 100%graphite, the Aggressor was 80 graphite/20 fibreglass and the Avenger was 50 graphite/50 fiberglass. As for the col of the rqts, the PS is black with red/yello stripes that stop part of the way down the side(faceside) of the frame, the staff (in the UK was grey with red/yellow stripes that run all the way down the side to the throat and back halfway up the other side, the aggressor was black with the the same stripes as the staff and the avenger was white with green & blue stripes the running the same as the staff/aggressor. These rqts were around in 1985/86.

If you have the grey staff(although I think it may have been released as blk in the USA) are you selling it? I'm interested in getting 1 or some to visit the 'old school' era.

Paul

loubapache
04-22-2005, 04:04 PM
uk_skippy:

I have a brand new Avenger. I am thinking about string it up and play with it.

Do you have more info on it such as how it plays, etc?

Thanks,

TheNatural
04-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Skippy, right click where the picture should be and select 'properties' thne copy the url into another browser to see the picture.

I put the url between the img tags- there is no other way to display a picture is there?

This staff is black with a yellow and orange stripe. On the throat on the top of the triangle , it says 'Wilson', with a capital W. On the throat,on the top left of the triangle, it says "STAFF" in slanted letters, just the S is capitalised. On both sides of the throat, but on the sides, not on the top, it says 'MIDSIZE', in all capital letters, which are slightly slanted.

On the inside of the throat the sticker says 'string at 55-65 lbs'

The "PWS" letters are also in capitals. And just above the grip it says '100% graphite'.

Any more info on whether this racket is totally different to the ps 85 original?

. I didn't even know there was a 100% graphite 85 version which was totally different to the others before I read the '100% graphite ' writing. I plan to try it soon but havn't tested it out yet.

AndrewD
04-22-2005, 08:37 PM
I might be wrong on this point but I thought that the Staff was part of a range Wilson put out quite some time ago (was it late 80's?) as sort of lower priced alternatives to their top end racquets. Up the top you had the ProStaff, Ceramic and Ultra. Down the bottom (in terms of price) you had the Staff, Select and another model I cant recall. The Select looked somewhat similar to the ProStaff 6.0 85 in terms of graphics but had a narrower throat and was considerably more flexible. Actually, reminds me a little bit of the current ROK 93.

Once again, could be wrong, but might hazard a guess that on major element distinguishing the Staff from the ProStaff range is the absence of braided graphite.

uk_skippy
04-23-2005, 01:14 AM
The Natural

yep, got the pic working. I think thats the US version of the staff c1985. As I've said the UK version was grey. Th staff shouldn't be as stiff as the PS85, and probable doesnt play as harshly. I cant give a better view on the staff as it was some 18yrs or so since I last used it. Now if I could get my hands on a large quantity of them.......

AndrewD, wilson did produce and seem to produce every so often a cheap(er) racquet and brand it with what was once a model of quaility-Staff. The pic TheNatural has and the descriptions I gave are for rqts around 1985-87. They were all players rqts, although the cheapest was the Avenger, then the Aggressor, then Staff and finally the PS85. I used the Staff and like it then. The select looks similar the above mentioned rqts but it was a different mould, slightly narrower at the throat and far more flexible.

Lou, the avenger was the most flexible of the PS moulded frames, but I rarely used 1. As I remember it was too flexible for me.

Hope this helps guys

Michael82
04-23-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi Skippy...Please could you share more info on Aggressor, e.g. weight, swingweight and stiffness, etc., as I have bought two in excellent condition recently? I couldn't find any usefull info on the internet. When you mentioned there were price differences, how much difference were you suggesting? Do you reckon they would worth 50 quid for the two? Are they good player's frames from your experience?

POGO
04-23-2005, 05:00 AM
here is the picture.

POGO
04-23-2005, 05:02 AM
wow. i guess tw is censoring the picture.

uk_skippy
04-23-2005, 05:28 AM
Michael,

Here in the UK the prices for the 4 rqts were someting like - PS85 130; Staff 100; Aggressor 80 and Avenger 60. These were the prices around 1985-87.

Obviously the PS85 is one of the greatest frames. The others were bad either, although It dont think the Avenger was that great. Around the clubs I played at back then, the choice of rqt was the Aggressor because i) it was cheaper than the PS85 and ii) it looked like it.

Sorry I cant give you any specs on the rqt, only the assumptions of stiffness doue to the constructions of each rqt.

50 for both? If they're in good condition I'd say like thats a bargain. Don't forget the bumper/grommet strip should be the same as the PS85 so no real problem getting hold of them. Let me know how they play

Where did you get your aggressors from?

Paul

TheNatural
04-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the info. There seems to be no info on this racket around . Can't find the specs or anything anywhere.

Had a volley against the brick wall, and she feels pretty good, I will get a better idea when I hit out with it on a court. I like the general weight/dimensions,doesn't fel too heavy or anything. I just have to add to the grip size as it's a size small.

The strange thing about this racket is that everything about the frame feels just like the first racket I started playing with YEARS Ago. It is like someone got my old racket and painted a yellow and red stripe on it. The racket I first played with for several years was some black slazenger graphite/fibreglass composite racket with a very thin beam , and a head size around 85, and a leather grip. I just remember it being a midsize, I don't know it's exact headsize, but most rackets were midsize back then. The thin beams were also normal back then.

Michael82
04-23-2005, 06:55 AM
Michael,

Here in the UK the prices for the 4 rqts were someting like - PS85 130; Staff 100; Aggressor 80 and Avenger 60. These were the prices around 1985-87.

Obviously the PS85 is one of the greatest frames. The others were bad either, although It dont think the Avenger was that great. Around the clubs I played at back then, the choice of rqt was the Aggressor because i) it was cheaper than the PS85 and ii) it looked like it.

Sorry I cant give you any specs on the rqt, only the assumptions of stiffness doue to the constructions of each rqt.

50 for both? If they're in good condition I'd say like thats a bargain. Don't forget the bumper/grommet strip should be the same as the PS85 so no real problem getting hold of them. Let me know how they play

Where did you get your aggressors from?

Paul

Cheers Paul!

I got them from a German seller. It was 68 euros for two including postage. Haven't received the racquets yet. It may take a while. I'll let you know how they play later! Many thanks again for the info!

Regards
Mike