PDA

View Full Version : What is the Tennis Instruction Terminology for this?

Bud
12-25-2009, 09:03 PM
In this video of Andre's 2HBH... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql5xVpACt1Y

I notice that he does what many guys do on their forehand. He takes his racquet back so far... and just when he's ready to strike the ball... he relaxes his wrists so the racquet snaps back even further before heading forward... adding more racquet head speed to the stroke.

In the video... his racquet is pulled back and completely still at :26 seconds. Then, at :27 seconds, the racquet goes back (rotates backward) another 4-6" before heading forward and striking the ball at :29 seconds.

Another great example occurs at 1:45-1:49

What is the term for this wrist action/relaxing of the wrist that occurs before striking the ball that allows the racquet head to gain more speed?

paulfreda
12-26-2009, 03:27 AM
I don't know what the term is, sorry.

Vic Braden in his early videos mentions this as a major technique in generating power and says one can generate 10x more speed than that of simple muscle contraction.

Agassi's father, an athlete himself, taught him to hit the ball the way one snaps a towel or bullwhip. He felt it was a way to get racquet head speed and pace efficiently.

LeeD
12-26-2009, 07:27 AM
I dunno, maybe rackethead loop at initiation of the foreward swing?
Like most modern players?
Old style was dead straight takeback and no loop at the beginning of the forward stroke.

Blake0
12-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure but i think it's called the slot position. You get to it by doing the following:
1. Loose arm/wrist.
2. Do not focus on the wrist.
3. The swinging of your arm foreward makes your wrist lag behind. You might have to make sure your wrist is slinging back if you try this. Try shadow swinging this way for a bit. IF it's not swinging back, you're not loose enough, or you have to use your body to uncoil. (it's the force of all your legs,hip,shoulder, arm that make the wrist lag back. If you only use your arm its much harder to lag the wrist back)

Bud
12-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure but i think it's called the slot position. You get to it by doing the following:
1. Loose arm/wrist.
2. Do not focus on the wrist.
3. The swinging of your arm foreward makes your wrist lag behind. You might have to make sure your wrist is slinging back if you try this. Try shadow swinging this way for a bit. IF it's not swinging back, you're not loose enough, or you have to use your body to uncoil. (it's the force of all your legs,hip,shoulder, arm that make the wrist lag back. If you only use your arm its much harder to lag the wrist back)

Yes, this is exactly what I see... just a loose wrist when the racquet is initially brought forward... it causes the racquet head to hang back and then snap forward like a whip. I've tried it when just rallying with hitting partners and it does definitely give quite a bit more power on the shot. However, I haven't been able to carry it over into match play, yet. It's one of those things that must be deeply ingrained in your technique to use it consistently.

I've noticed in many slow-mo video that many guys perform this action with their FH's... however, Agassi was the first video I'd seen where he also does it on the BH side.

I'll keep doing it in practice and perhaps, some day muscle memory will take over.

Give it a try if you've never have... it's amazing how much more pop you get on your shots. It's really not much different as far as control either... it's just requires slightly different timing.

Blake0
12-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes, this is exactly what I see... just a loose wrist when the racquet is initially brought forward... it causes the racquet head to hang back and then snap forward like a whip. I've tried it when just rallying with hitting partners and it does definitely give quite a bit more power on the shot. However, I haven't been able to carry it over into match play, yet. It's one of those things that must be deeply ingrained in your technique to use it consistently.

I've noticed in many slow-mo video that many guys perform this action with their FH's... however, Agassi was the first video I'd seen where he also does it on the BH side.

I'll keep doing it in practice and perhaps, some day muscle memory will take over.

Give it a try if you've never have... it's amazing how much more pop you get on your shots. It's really not much different as far as control either... it's just requires slightly different timing.

On forehands most pro's do some variation of this. On backhands, not as many people as you mentioned.

I don't recommend to focus on this for beginners. its more important to have a basic foundation first. If you have a good form, and you're pretty consistent and looking for more power, then you can start looking into this.

Bagumbawalla
12-26-2009, 01:55 PM
There is no "tennis" term for it as far as I know. The mechanical/physics term is "inertia".

Basically, your interpretation/description of what you see is not exactly accurate.

What is happening is this: The player takes the racket back, then as he/she accelerates it forward to impact the ball, the part gripped by the hand (not overly tight) comes forward (with the hand), but the rest of the racket resists the movement and hangs back. At a certain point the racket is, basically, traveling forward long-ways, the butt-end facing the ball. At the next point (when the entire racket is traveling at the same speed) the linear motion is changed to a centrafugal motion and the racket head comes around and meets the ball.

It may sound complex and difficult to co-ordinate, but, really, that is just the normal motion of the racket as you hit a groundstroke- if you keep loose and have good form.

As someone pointed out, above, this is not something you should think about or consciously ty to do. If you are hitting propperly, it will just happen.

Power Player
12-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Racquet head drop.

WildVolley
12-26-2009, 03:36 PM
I've always heard that called the "laid-back wrist." Some people will also call it racket-head lag. If you relax your wrists, it will happen on all your swinging shots.

Bud
12-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Racquet head drop.

racquet head drop refers to something in serving.

Power Player
12-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah, there is no true term..just think of it as dropping the racquet head so it points down before contact.

ttbrowne
12-26-2009, 04:04 PM
And it is the product of hitting 2,500 balls a day....1 million balls a year...as Agassi says in his book.

Bud
12-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, there is no true term..just think of it as dropping the racquet head so it points down before contact.

It's relaxing the wrist, in a big way, prior to bringing the racquet forward to strike the ball... not necessarily dropping the racquet head.

Power Player
12-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Well I get that relaxed wrist from dropping the racquet head. I watched what you were saying on youtube and have seen Agassi play in person. I think the first key to his backhand is that drop.

I also have heard you want to add a push pull to the stroke ( i dont do this, but I may try to work it in). Basically your right hand will push and your left hand will pull a little before contact and after the racquet head is dropped.

Solat
12-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Stretch shortening cycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stretch_shortening_cycle)

Bud
12-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Stretch shortening cycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stretch_shortening_cycle)

Interesting... I wonder if this falls under that category :)

ayuname
12-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Wrist slinging?