PDA

View Full Version : How exactly do athletic scholarships work?

Brett
04-22-2005, 02:23 AM
For a sport? Do you have to contact a college or would they contacy you about it?

tiadeserbia
04-22-2005, 06:38 AM
Hi, how are you?
Yes, you need to contact the coach 1st. You can either fill out the recruiting form (they have those on school websites) or you can email the coach, and say any basic info he might find handy (it does not need to be too long). Most schools will ask you to come for a visit or at last send a tape of your game footage.
If you have any questions, you can email me, cause I have experience with this :)

TommyGun
04-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Athletic scholarships are offerred at the Division I and II level for NCAA and NJCSIAA. Division III schools are non-scholarship.

If you are highly ranked or coveted, a coach most likely will contact you first. If you haven't been contacted, then realize that your choice of DI schools is already heading south.

Now, after you have decided which schools you wish to play for, you need to do several things:

1. Tia is correct, go to the schools website, find the athletic recruiting form or coach email, and send in your interest.

2. Go to the NCAA website (www.ncaa.org) and follow the instructions for the NCAA clearing house. All NCAA athletes must pass the clearing house in order to be eligible to play and get scholarships.

3. Make a video tape of you and your game. Make some of it close ups of your form (hitting serves, forehands, backhands, volleys, etc.) and make the rest of it actual match video. Coaches will want to see both.

4. Remember that men's programs will have fewer scholarships to give, and most will be partial scholarships. If you have high GPA in high school, include a copy of your transcript if possible, as an athletic department often likes to stretch athletic scholarship dollars by getting players academic grants and scholarships. I sent one player to a full two year ride at a DI school to play tennis, and 4/5 of the scholarship was academic, and the athletic department only needed to pay 1/5. So, both the team and student benefit.

5. Get letters of recommendation from your school coach(es), your local and personal tennis pro's, and anyone in the USTA if you are active. Include them.

6. Write a very polite and nice letter to the coach introducing yourself, and what you can bring to the team and program OUTSIDE of your tennis ability. Coaches like to know that they have good leaders, that they have players who excell in areas other then tennis, and have abilities that will enhance the overall team environment. So, if you are an egotistical buttmunch, and all you have going for you is a killer forehand, most coaches will not even look your way.

6. Attend a match if possible. Meeting the coach at a college match is often a great way to introduce yourself, and you get to see the team and coach first hand. And you get a nice day out of it sometimes.

Hope this helps. You can also contact me if you have any other questions.

Coach Tom

tom-selleck
04-22-2005, 07:44 AM
If you are highly ranked or coveted, a coach most likely will contact you first. If you haven't been contacted, then realize that your choice of DI schools is already heading south.

i agree mostly...... but a little effort/marketing/promotion of yourself will not hurt.... especially at the lower end divisions/schools ..... but yes, florida, georgia, USC etc. pretty much choose who they want (don't get all of them but they know who they want)..... lower end divisions/schools, it could be more tryout-oriented.

New Balls
04-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Put some effort into it. I'm not saying you won't, but I've seen too many kids get called by the coach only to say "WTF school are you? Where is it? How much of a scholarship you gonna give me(...at a D3)?"

Then the coach hangs up and says "what a fool, I'll just find a player who actually wants to play here."

So do a bit of research, even just visit the school's website, and talk to the coach about academics also, it shows that you're concerned about not flunking out after a semester.

Brett
04-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Well the thing is this. I won't be able to play at all on Saturday's so this will be a problem won't it? And when you say Division I, II, and III that's the same as A, AA, and AAA right?

See, I had a losing record every year, but I know I'm a good player. I know of course I won't be able to play in Division I, because I am not Division I material.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also which schools have better/harder tennis teams, Division III/AAA or Community Colleges?