PDA

View Full Version : Some tips I got from an experienced player

Power Player
12-26-2009, 04:13 PM
This is a nice little blog for myself to reference now and then but it should help others too. I worked on reinforcing a few little things that made a difference in my game today. They were pointed out by a teacher that I hit with. He is real experienced and the top player at the club. By experienced, I mean playing the game for over 40 years. He has every shot and is a good guy to learn from. I bolded the part to work on when I am out hitting.

FOREHAND : Feet..you want to split step and move your feet, but you have to move so your weight moves forward into contact. For me, that involves stepping forward with a slightly open stance and keeping my feet on the ground (I jumped a lot and it caused me to frame shots). The best way to get this right is to hit balls at 50% power and just work on stepping into the shots. The second part is you must keep your head down on contact. These 2 things have to happen every time.

Just working on this really opened up my power. I naturally swung and hit with a WW motion without really thinking about arm motion. The other thing is that even hitting at 3/4 power, I hit exceptionally hard shots and winners and did not expend much energy at all. My consistency in hitting the sweet spot was dramatically raised. These are the 2 biggest issues I have with my stroke, so to have them pointed out made it easy to focus on them, and now it is simple repetition and habit building.

Backhand : On the 2 handed backhand, start the swing with the racquet drop. I apparently had too much motion in my swing which caused late contact. I now start with the racquet down, step into contact with my head down, and am hitting a very consistent topspin backhand.

Neutral : Hold the racquet lightly, but keep it in the western grip for a quick switch to the forehand. This means the racquet face is facing the ground in the neutral position. Always get to this position after every shot.

Hope those help some folks. They sure helped me with consistency.

Roy125
12-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah that kind of helps. I wish he had tips for a 1 handed backhand though.

12-26-2009, 05:36 PM
FOREHAND : Feet..you want to split step and move your feet, but you have to move so your weight moves forward into contact. For me, that involves stepping forward with a slightly open stance and keeping my feet on the ground (I jumped a lot and it caused me to frame shots). The best way to get this right is to hit balls at 50% power and just work on stepping into the shots. The second part is you must keep your head down on contact. These 2 things have to happen every time.

Just working on this really opened up my power. I naturally swung and hit with a WW motion without really thinking about arm motion. The other thing is that even hitting at 3/4 power,

They sure helped me with consistency.
Glad you found some things that you feel helped. I don't think jumping caused you to frame shots and you better get used to hitting 50% power, as stepping forward into the shot will most likely require you to keep the ball in by adjusting power vs being able to hit out fully and still making powerful shots by stepping to an open stance. I do agree with keeping your head still and believe that keep you from framing your shots.

plumcrazy
12-26-2009, 05:47 PM
This is a nice little blog for myself to reference now and then but it should help others too. I worked on reinforcing a few little things that made a difference in my game today. They were pointed out by a teacher that I hit with. He is real experienced and the top player at the club. By experienced, I mean playing the game for over 40 years. He has every shot and is a good guy to learn from. I bolded the part to work on when I am out hitting.

Just working on this really opened up my power. I naturally swung and hit with a WW motion without really thinking about arm motion. The other thing is that even hitting at 3/4 power, I hit exceptionally hard shots and winners and did not expend much energy at all. My consistency in hitting the sweet spot was dramatically raised. These are the 2 biggest issues I have with my stroke, so to have them pointed out made it easy to focus on them, and now it is simple repetition and habit building.

Backhand : On the 2 handed backhand, start the swing with the racquet drop. I apparently had too much motion in my swing which caused late contact. I now start with the racquet down, step into contact with my head down, and am hitting a very consistent topspin backhand.

Neutral : Hold the racquet lightly, but keep it in the western grip for a quick switch to the forehand. This means the racquet face is facing the ground in the neutral position. Always get to this position after every shot.

Hope those help some folks. They sure helped me with consistency.

Thanks for the post! I've made up a couple of threads the past week with questions about my forehand. He really explained it well. I'll try them next time I'm out! I find when I step into the shot instead of jumping I have a more fluid stroke. By the way 5263, thanks for the help in my threads!!!!

Power Player
12-26-2009, 06:36 PM
5263, you are right, you can definitley jump. But I was jumping off balance, and this is why I stopped. I never would have known this without outside help so I consider these free lessons to be quite valuable. The head is also as if not more important. Those are both key bad habits of mine, and when I don't do those things, I hit a very clean ball with placement and pace.

The other thing about stepping in that I can hit really heavy balls with far less effort. I ended up hitting winners at 3/4 speed, but I also could hit fully out and keep it in since I use a lot of topspin.

It was pretty jarring to realize how hard I could hit without even swinging out and just keeping my head down and stepping in.

12-28-2009, 03:59 PM
5263, you are right, you can definitley jump. But I was jumping off balance, and this is why I stopped. I never would have known this without outside help so I consider these free lessons to be quite valuable. The head is also as if not more important. Those are both key bad habits of mine, and when I don't do those things, I hit a very clean ball with placement and pace.

The other thing about stepping in that I can hit really heavy balls with far less effort. I ended up hitting winners at 3/4 speed, but I also could hit fully out and keep it in since I use a lot of topspin.

It was pretty jarring to realize how hard I could hit without even swinging out and just keeping my head down and stepping in.

3/4 power is probably your true 90-95% as what you were doing before to try and hit harder was causing you to break form. IMO a true 100% is as hard as you can hit and maintain your proper stroke, right?
Maybe that's why 3/4s is working so well for you at this point.
Sounds like you are really getting it figured out!

12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the post! I've made up a couple of threads the past week with questions about my forehand. He really explained it well. I'll try them next time I'm out! I find when I step into the shot instead of jumping I have a more fluid stroke. By the way 5263, thanks for the help in my threads!!!!

Very glad if I was of some help. Sounds like you have found a good "feel" on your stroke now, although as you progress I think you won't step into the shot as much as step to open.
We'll see how that goes.