PDA

View Full Version : Slump

TennisPassion5
12-26-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't know what the problem is to be honest. I walked on court today, and it was just not my day. Although the racket I played with had been freshly strung, I could generate no pop. My timing was terrible. Shots were sailing left and right. I was being outplayed and it was very uncharacteristic.

What's the ideal way to go about this situation. Take a break from tennis for two weeks and regroup? I love tennis and try to play as much as possible, but I know a break might be very much needed. Please advise, because my confidence is at an all time low.
Thanks

Blake0
12-26-2009, 08:24 PM
2 ways you could look at it.
1.) you haven't been playing enough tennis. Keep hitting until you get your timing back. Focus on fundamentals and good technique.
2.) You've played too much tennis and are burning out. Take a break from tennis, rest/relax, play some other sport, keep your mind out of tennis for a couple days and try again later.

ayuname
12-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Just relax. Everyone has those days. I've had them sometimes in a couple days in a row. Take a deep breath and walk on the court and have that good energy flowing.

When I hit terribly I tell myself to "relax and just have fun" or "Gotta want it".

Bud
12-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't know what the problem is to be honest. I walked on court today, and it was just not my day. Although the racket I played with had been freshly strung, I could generate no pop. My timing was terrible. Shots were sailing left and right. I was being outplayed and it was very uncharacteristic.

What's the ideal way to go about this situation. Take a break from tennis for two weeks and regroup? I love tennis and try to play as much as possible, but I know a break might be very much needed. Please advise, because my confidence is at an all time low.
Thanks

If you think it's burnout then take a break.

TennisPassion5
12-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Thanks guy...I think I'm leaning towards a week or two off.

Fedace
12-27-2009, 05:54 AM

Thanks

Take some time off and work on Conditioning. Work with Light weights and develop arm and leg strength. Strengthen the Joints and work on CORE strengh. Even in amateur level tennis, this makes a huge difference. Not to mention it helps with the mental strength as well. Knowing you are in top condition and you are Stronger goes a long way to help you to be more confident as well...

Bashi
12-27-2009, 05:57 AM
When I'm playing badly in a match I remind myself that you win the match one point at a time. Don't think about the score, or anything else. The only thing that matters is the ball that you're hitting right now. If you can hit the ball, then you can win the match. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't overthink everything.

TennisPassion5
12-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the input!

LeeD
12-27-2009, 07:38 AM
You have to have lousy days in order to progress.
Progression is never a steady graph of better play each day.
How can it your game progress if you never have bad days.
Embrace the bad days, they give you something to progress FROM...:shock: