PDA

View Full Version : Which grip is better for a one handed backhand?

sir_shanks_alot
12-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I've decided I'm going to a one handed backhand again. I can hit this with the standard knuckle on top or knuckle on the back bevel (western?).

My question is should I use the stronger/western grip to keep the "flyers" from sailing long every now and then, or use the standard grip? Is it easier to open the face than close it?

The flyers tend to happen when I'm late and/or when the ball is high. I'm thinking I can make the adjustment either way, or use both depending on the situation. I want a "go to" grip though and now is the time to decide.

sir_shanks_alot
12-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Correction: By western and back bevel I mean the diagonal bevel; not the wide, flat bevel perpendicular to the court.

Determined
12-26-2009, 10:54 PM
No such thing as a better grip. The tennis player is what makes the backhand good or bad. For one hand there's the eastern backhand(Bevel on top). And the Extreme eastern(semi western forehand turned around). You can also used the continental grip if you want(hammer grip). Umm...You get the most spin for extreme eastern and little to no spin using the continental. Eastern would be the inbetween. You can also mess around with anything inbetween. Like make your own grip. If you want to keep your balls in with more top spin you can take the more conservative grip Extreme Eastern(Gasquet, Justine Henin). I think more pros use this grip because of the more spin capabilities and the fact that the contact point is a little higher than the others. So it'll be easier to handle the high bouncing balls. Eastern is good because you can take the ball on the rise easier than the extreme eastern but you'll have a slightly harder time with high bouncing balls. You'll get less spin but you can drive through the ball a little more. Continental is not something that I recommend because you'll have trouble hitting topspin and high balls. Old school. I think you should try all of them and see which you like more. If you've just started playing tennis the one hand takes longer to develop than the two hand. But it's just so pretty when you hit it cleanly. It's up to you what you want to do. Go for it!

larry10s
12-27-2009, 04:21 AM
there was a thread i couldnt find in the search about not just whether the knuckle was on top or the next bevel behind (pros and cons of that well done above) but how diagonal the racquet was in your palm.if you gripped it parrallel to your knuckles your index finger would be close to your middle finger. (there was a name for this). if the racquet was more diagonal in your hand there would be more spread between the index finger and middle finger. (there was a name fotr this too). very heated discussion as i recall.
senior moments make me forget the details can anyone summarize for me or link me back to the thread?

86golf
12-27-2009, 05:17 AM
Correction: By western and back bevel I mean the diagonal bevel; not the wide, flat bevel perpendicular to the court.

I play on clay and the extreme grip really works for me. I'm also of the belief that the extreme grip will reduce your chances of tennis elbow bc you have more of your hand behind the handle absorbing the shock and providing support.
If you play on hard courts that are fast, this grip may be problematic for you.
I'll slice a lot more when I'm forced to play on a hard court.

julian
12-27-2009, 07:26 AM
I play on clay and the extreme grip really works for me. I'm also of the belief that the extreme grip will reduce your chances of tennis elbow bc you have more of your hand behind the handle absorbing the shock and providing support.
I'll slice a lot more when I'm forced to play on a hard court.

Your quote
---->
-----> please elaborate

LeeD
12-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Hard courts, faster ball movement after the bounce, the ball sometimes skidd past your strikezone, so more need to handle LOWER balls and faster movers, hence the EBH rather than extreme grips.
Grass is more of the same, more skidds, lower balls, and more conti grips.
Clay is the highest bounces, no skids, slow movers after the bounce, and the need to handle the high ball is the greatest.
Depends what surface, kind of balls, how your opposition hits, your preferences.
I like EBH for topspins, and can handle balls from mid thigh to upper chest on concrete courts with that grip. Talking topspin shots only.

sir_shanks_alot
12-27-2009, 07:42 AM
---->
-----> please elaborate

I think he means with a faster surface, the ball will stay lower. This grip has an ideal contact point thats a little higher (& further in front), so there's the problem.

It isn't too much a problem for me cause I'm 5'8". I'm low already. ;) I think the stronger grip is be better, or neutral for me because more balls will be higher than for someone who's 6'2".

LeeD
12-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Most cases, short people tend to more extreme grips to handle high balls while the Karlovics in the world tend towards conti grips to dig out low balls.

julian
12-27-2009, 03:50 PM
there was a thread i couldnt find in the search about not just whether the knuckle was on top or the next bevel behind (pros and cons of that well done above) but how diagonal the racquet was in your palm.if you gripped it parrallel to your knuckles your index finger would be close to your middle finger. (there was a name for this). if the racquet was more diagonal in your hand there would be more spread between the index finger and middle finger. (there was a name fotr this too). very heated discussion as i recall.
senior moments make me forget the details can anyone summarize for me or link me back to the thread?
A topic of some interest to me-I have a student using an extreme backhand
grip for a bottom hand of 2HB.
Switching gears:
I assume you know
xxxxx

darthpwner
12-27-2009, 07:51 PM
I prefer eastern grip, base knuckle on top of the handle.

sir_shanks_alot
12-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I hit about 500 machine fed balls today. I realized my preference is index knuckle on top, heel pad between 7/8 (see above article). I like it and I don't see any reason to change. I turned it a little more closed for high balls.

Keeping my shoulders more even (back shoulder higher), the ball further away, and making sure I hit out in front seemed to be the right ingredients for hitting inside out or DTL and not launching the ball into outer space. :)

I have the opposite problem on XC shots, hitting them too low. This will probably just take some fine tuning. I was hitting more consistently from the forehand side of the court. Overall still pleased with my decision to switch.

xFullCourtTenniSx
12-27-2009, 10:15 PM
If you want to keep your balls in with more top spin you can take the more conservative grip Extreme Eastern(Gasquet, Justine Henin).

You have your definitions and concepts all wrong.

Conservative and extreme (AKA radicals) are two VERY different things. :wink: And not just politically.

Conservative would be a continental grip. And it's not a bad grip at all by any means. Sampras used a relatively conservative grip and did pretty well with it. He just looped it when he needed to deal with high balls, and flattened it out otherwise. Then again, a heavy racket helps add a lot of power to it...

z_z
12-28-2009, 01:31 AM
I was taught since young to use an extreme eastern bh grip. It works pretty well for shots that need the extra "omph" drive. Added bonus is I use a semi-western forehand grip so less adjustments needed in between shots.

Problem comes when the ball is hit out above the shoulders or below the knees...that's when the eastern / continental bh shot comes in.

julian
12-28-2009, 06:22 AM
I hit about 500 machine fed balls today. I realized my preference is index knuckle on top, heel pad between 7/8 (see above article). I like it and I don't see any reason to change. I turned it a little more closed for high balls.

Keeping my shoulders more even (back shoulder higher), the ball further away, and making sure I hit out in front seemed to be the right ingredients for hitting inside out or DTL and not launching the ball into outer space. :)

I have the opposite problem on XC shots, hitting them too low. This will probably just take some fine tuning. I was hitting more consistently from the forehand side of the court. Overall still pleased with my decision to switch.
You may compare your shot with
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/instruction.aspx?articleid=396&zoneid=12
and try to answer the following question:
which elements of backhand are changed when one switches to an extreme
backhand grip.
Larry is invited to answer this question as well.

mike53
12-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Julian,
Thanks for the excellent link. But I'm a little confused by the description for photo 1 which says that Richard uses the Modern Eastern Grip, but in photo 3 it looks a lot to me like Richard has continued to turn the racquet in his hand until the index finger base knuckle is one bevel past the top of the racquet. Am I fooling myself?
Thanks, Mike

larry10s
12-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Julian,
Thanks for the excellent link. But I'm a little confused by the description for photo 1 which says that Richard uses the Modern Eastern Grip, but in photo 3 it looks a lot to me like Richard has continued to turn the racquet in his hand until the index finger base knuckle is one bevel past the top of the racquet. Am I fooling myself?
Thanks, Mike

gasquet uses an extreme eastern grip

larry10s
12-28-2009, 09:15 AM
You may compare your shot with
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/instruction.aspx?articleid=396&zoneid=12
and try to answer the following question:
which elements of backhand are changed when one switches to an extreme
backhand grip.
Larry is invited to answer this question as well.

the grip changes:) the contact point as noted above is higher and more in front with the exreme grip. the shoulders tend to be alittle more open at contact

larry10s
12-28-2009, 09:24 AM
i am aware of the series of aricles although its been awhile since i read them.
http://www.videojug.com/film/the-one-handed-backhand-grip
if you watch how in the beginning of the video how he shows to get a bh grip there is no space between his index finger and middle finger . another terminology for this grip would e base knuckle on bevel 1 and heel pad on 7/8.
http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/bh1gripclosewt.htm
this picture shows a spread of the index finger.
these 2 type of grips (more parralell in the hand versus more diagonal) is what i was refering to. extreme vs regular bh grips have to do with how much on top vs behind the handle you are not how parralell vs diagonal

julian
12-28-2009, 04:16 PM
i am aware of the series of aricles although its been awhile since i read them.
http://www.videojug.com/film/the-one-handed-backhand-grip
if you watch how in the beginning of the video how he shows to get a bh grip there is no space between his index finger and middle finger . another terminology for this grip would e base knuckle on bevel 1 and heel pad on 7/8.
http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/bh1gripclosewt.htm
this picture shows a spread of the index finger.
these 2 type of grips (more parralell in the hand versus more diagonal) is what i was refering to. extreme vs regular bh grips have to do with how much on top vs behind the handle you are not how parralell vs diagonal
Are you sure it is heel pad on 7/8?
Maybe 1/8?
I have to go my club-very sorry