PDA

View Full Version : High ball to Western grip forehand?

Clay lover
12-27-2009, 03:23 AM
I have this serious problem with high balls ( I mean higher than my shoulders) even using a western grip. I just don't seem to be able to turn my body around in time compared to when hitting a low ball, resulting in a late hit or just a total shank. Fellow Western grippers or tennis experts, what adjustments should I make when I get a high ball to my forehand?

Bashi
12-27-2009, 05:22 AM
I have this problem too - I have to lob it back or else I'll just end up dumping it in the net.

86golf
12-27-2009, 05:25 AM
I have this serious problem with high balls ( I mean higher than my shoulders) even using a western grip. I just don't seem to be able to turn my body around in time compared to when hitting a low ball, resulting in a late hit or just a total shank. Fellow Western grippers or tennis experts, what adjustments should I make when I get a high ball to my forehand?

I like to take this ball out in front of my right shoulder and I'll swing from 4-10 o'clock with major shoulder rotation. The ball has a lot of action on it plus topspin. If the shoulders aren't involved, easy to shank this one.
If it is much higher, you might want to think overhead.

LeeD
12-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Depends do you want to continue the rally or end it right then and there.
If you want to continue, just turn your shoulders lots, prep slightly higher than for normal balls, and followthru super high with topspin, watching the ball, eh?
I see most of the junior girls wanting to END THE POINT right there and then. They turn shoulders extra, use W grips, raise their prep/backswing to the level of the ball, stroke hard and FLAT with a LOW followthru, get POP on those balls, and crush it 90 mph into an open court. Almost all of them jump just before contact, and rotate hard thru the shot, resulting in a topspin ball that has sidespin, but goes faster than even their first serves.
Maybe their key is the flat swing and lower followthru, making the contact flat and solid, and the ball go FAST.

paulfreda
12-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Don't be afraid to aggressively rotate your forearm clockwise in to the ball giving it almost a slapping with the strings the way you would slap someone in the face.
With a W grip this is easy to do if you have the line thru your shoulders pointing at the net.