PDA

View Full Version : Do you use "plays"?

Bashi
12-27-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm interested to see who uses specific combinations of shots when playing. I have a couple that I can use consistently, like the obvious drop shot, lob to backhand thing. Or maybe a deep loopy backhand, then a low skidding slice to the other side. The difference is that I know I'm going to do this series of shots before I start, I don't have to adapt. Does anyone else use these kinds of combinations of shots?

armsty
12-27-2009, 06:29 AM
Serve-Volley.

I like to play where I'll hit deep to whatever corner, usually the opponents backhand, on every shot. Either it frustrates the hell out of them or the eventually sit one up for me to smash a forehand winner cross court. I try do that atleast 2 or 3 times in a game. Mix it up though a lot.

AsgerHO
12-27-2009, 06:52 AM
It´s great to have those kind of combos. I tend to use a couple of them, but only if they suit surface and opponent.
My favorite one is going forehand cross court and try to open the backhand side of the court (if it´s against a right handed player as myself) - and then go longline when there is enough space. Not necessarilly going for a winner, but 9 out of 10 times you´ll get a fairly easy volley to put away.

The other one is change of pace. I like to use the sliced backhand cross court for a couple of times. Then there are some different options. If you get a sliced backhand returned to the backhand side, you might be able to go around and hit a forehand inside in to change the pace, or hit a backhand either corss or longline, once again to change pace.
The other scenario is that you´ll get either a sliced backhand or a regular backhand returned to your forehand side, which gives you the option of changing pace again.

BUT all these combos depends on your opponent as well. He can do exactly the same as you intend to do - so you mighr be the one running after a wide forehand. But they are efficient if used at the right times

Cindysphinx
12-27-2009, 07:06 AM
In doubles, I like to take the third ball in a crosscourt rally up the line in the deuce court. It seems to work better than going up the line off of the return. Something about three balls lulls the net person to sleep so the DTL shot doesn't have to be a screamer.

LeeD
12-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Serve wide, volley short angle CC's...
High topspinner to the backhand, follow to net.
Low approach deep, follow to net.
Weak floater up the middle, follow to the backdrop to pick up the ball.

Blake0
12-27-2009, 09:22 AM
I have a couple..
Inside out forehand.
Inside in forehand, dtl forehand (approach), volley/smash.
Backhand,slice, (alternate every shot), then run around backhand and hit inside out/in. Works well when someone only hits to my backhands.

user92626
12-27-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't think it's necessary. If you try to use a combination of shots and you're not good at it, you'll become a junkballer which I have seen a lot. I don't know. I don't see ATP pros use this kind of combo. They just hit their groundstrokes and use placement well, and volley when necessary. That's about it.

Bashi
12-27-2009, 10:59 AM
user, I think these combinations can be good for setting up situations where you can end a point though. pros can make opportunities with their 100 mph groundstrokes and sharp angles, but for those of us that can't do that these work too.