PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen a Faker?

user92626
12-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Just a fun story. I was about to leave the court. Then, one guy came in and asked if I wanted to rally. So, I thought I would stay and work on a few things for myself. This guy rallied so badly that it was taxing for me, but I still thought I would keep up my end. Then, he also asked for a few tips and input from me. I geniunely shared.

After an hour or so, some people in the next court needed players for a mixed doubles. We came over and they asked which one of us was better. Seeing how the rally went, I suggested that I could cover someone or so. So, the better one of those people picked the guy.

What the hell! As soon as the game started that guy no longer missed any groundstroke!!!!! He hit topspin and placed the shots like one level better. I was not sure if he suddenly found inspiration in game or the gal on my side gave him easy balls, but I could swear she hit with equal or more pace than I and didn't make stupid UEs at all. In no time we were down 0-2. (The girl on the other side was formidable also. She plays regularly in some club or something.)

I thought I better stopped messing around and started playing my best tennis. It was a long long time before we got back to 3-3. Interestingly, probably seeing how much I tried my gal teammate suddenly started playing better, too. LOL. From there we broke them again and took the set, but namely because the other girl's playing dropped considerably.

In hindsight I am not sure if the guy I rallied with was a faker or really inspired by the ladies or game mindset or just the way the person on the other side of the net hit.

12-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Maybe he was just working on a few things like you intended to do?

Bashi
12-27-2009, 09:33 AM
maybe you just gave him really good advice

eagle
12-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the forum Brad Gilbert.

r,
eagle

user92626
12-27-2009, 09:45 AM
bashi, 5263

:)

It was puzzling because at one time I even suggested he try split-step to get a sense of rhythm and moving! LOL. Rudimentary stuff. I usually prefer game over simple rally, and we rallied over 1 hour nonstop so I figured he must geniunely want to learn something!!! hehe.

You know, you use to see that people rally superiorly but play crappily in game. This was probably the first time I saw complete opposite.

Cindysphinx
12-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Just a fun story. I was about to leave the court. Then, one guy came in and asked if I wanted to rally. So, I thought I would stay and work on a few things for myself. This guy rallied so badly that it was taxing for me, but I still thought I would keep up my end. Then, he also asked for a few tips and input from me. I geniunely shared.

After an hour or so, some people in the next court needed players for a mixed doubles. We came over and they asked which one of us was better. Seeing how the rally went, I suggested that I could cover someone or so. So, the better one of those people picked the guy.

What the hell! As soon as the game started that guy no longer missed any groundstroke!!!!! He hit topspin and placed the shots like one level better. I was not sure if he suddenly found inspiration in game or the gal on my side gave him easy balls, but I could swear she hit with equal or more pace than I and didn't make stupid UEs at all. In no time we were down 0-2. (The girl on the other side was formidable also. She plays regularly in some club or something.)

I thought I better stopped messing around and started playing my best tennis. It was a long long time before we got back to 3-3. Interestingly, probably seeing how much I tried my gal teammate suddenly started playing better, too. LOL. From there we broke them again and took the set, but namely because the other girl's playing dropped considerably.

In hindsight I am not sure if the guy I rallied with was a faker or really inspired by the ladies or game mindset or just the way the person on the other side of the net hit.

Maybe he was a doubles player? I play doubles, and when I rally or try to play singles, I find I am late to everything because I'm not used to covering the whole court.

I also hit into the alleys a lot in singles. Doh!

12-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Maybe he was a doubles player? I play doubles, and when I rally or try to play singles, I find I am late to everything because I'm not used to covering the whole court.

I also hit into the alleys a lot in singles. Doh!

Very good point.

LafayetteHitter
12-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Cindy has a point. As a primary singles player I work on hitting rallies and keeping the ball down the middle with a singles partner practicing. I know some guys that can't hit rallies with rhythm and spray balls around the court while hitting but are good doubles players.

user92626
12-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Cindy,

I find that groundstrokes must be more crafty in doubles than in singles. I only have a small corridor to hit the ball in. Rhythm is more varied because balls may come at you randomly or get volleyed, poached, etc. To boost,you don't get to play a whole lot of groundstroke to adjust, either. You must come to the net when it's your turn.

I play doubles in 90% of my entire tennis, but I feel I play much much better in singles. :)

TnTBigman
12-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Some guys play better in real games, yet can't hold a rally or return a ball back consecutively three four times. He could be just measuring your skill level out or just lack control and patience in just warm up rallying.