PDA

View Full Version : So I have a wristy forehand....how about for a two handed backhand?

RCizzle65
12-27-2009, 10:54 AM
I know conventially your not supposed to use wrist on your shots but that's how I've been hitting my forehand and it's been working. Now hoe about the two handed backhand? Should you use wrist on both arms or just one? I have trouble generating pace off my backhand side. Just for the record, my forehand is a semi-western, and for my backhand, it is semi-western/continental

user92626
12-27-2009, 10:59 AM
My 2hbh is on vacation right now so i can't comment. But I think roddick uses alot of wrist in his bh.

As for wristy FH, Nadal uses alot, too, but he knows how. So, I can't say it's wrong to employ wrist.

Monfil uses wrist, too, but that guy's got wrist injury so don't go by him. LOL.

tennisguy5
12-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Ya, i also use alot of wrist, on backhand as well. you can do it on your backhand, and get some wicked topspin to say the least

RCizzle65
12-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah I know Nadal and Federer use lots of wrist which is also how they get so much topspin, but I'm just saying conventially, like I remember watching on fuzzyyellowballs saying you shouldn't use your wrist

CallOfBooty
12-27-2009, 01:43 PM
People tell you to not use your wrist because they want you to work on everything else first. The wrist is no doubt important. Check your list for a good shoulder turn, a moderate backswing, and a circular swing with a loop. If you have that and your timing is already near perfect, then feel free to start learning how to use your wrist. The point is, make sure you are relying on everything else first, the wrist comes second.

Bungalo Bill
12-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I know conventially your not supposed to use wrist on your shots but that's how I've been hitting my forehand and it's been working. Now hoe about the two handed backhand? Should you use wrist on both arms or just one? I have trouble generating pace off my backhand side. Just for the record, my forehand is a semi-western, and for my backhand, it is semi-western/continental

What do you mean when you say "I use my wrist." You should not force your hand forward purposely in the forehand or the backhand for your normal shots. Especially the onehanded backhand. At times, you can use it for finessing the ball or trying to do something special.

This does not mean you can't have a relaxed "wrist" area which allows the wrist to act like a hinge for your hand to move forward and back. In this case, you are using momentum to allow the hand to move and you are not forcing anything.

Nobody here is good enough to use their wrist or do certain things that a professional level player can do. Nobody here spends hours and hours on the courts practicing and mastering their fundamentals. In some cases, doing what the pros are doing can be detrimental to players still developing, who don't spend a lot of time on the courts, and are still mastering their fundamentals.

Zachol82
12-27-2009, 07:47 PM
"Using your wrist" is a pretty vague concept. I'm sure you've heard "don't wrist the ball" and etc. But I'm sure everyone's been caught using their wrists, even the pros.

"Don't use your wrist" is usually a phrase reserved for beginners, since they could end up injuring themselves if they force their wrist incorrectly. However, as you gain more experience and knowledge of the game, some shots require you to use your wrist.

Personally, I still try to keep my wrist-usage down to a minimum simply because using my wrist adds more chance for an error and in my case creates too much topspin, causing my shots to land too short. I would only recommend it for a topspin lob or to create the angle in an emergency.

paulfreda
12-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Personally, I still try to keep my wrist-usage down to a minimum simply because using my wrist adds more chance for an error .........

This is usually a true statement in the line of "keeping it simple to be reliable".
But not always. Using the wrist in certain shots can be just as reliable as any other technique.
Witness the FHs of Nadal, Fed, Djocko, Cilic, Monfils and others.
Certainly in the serves of most pro's the wrist is used in an 'educated way' without sacrificing reliability.

Bungalo Bill
12-29-2009, 06:17 AM
Allowing your wrist to remain elastic helps the hand to move back and forth during your stroke. This is what players want. Some people will be more flexible in the wrist area (tendons will stretch slight better). However, the main thing players need to do in the forehand and especially the twohanded backhand is relax and swing. Let your body take its natural path. When you relax you reduce the chance of shock settling in one area like your wrists or your elbow.

When you force the hand to do something, you are increasing your chance to get injured. Further, because the ball is only on the string in less than a blink of an eye, there is very little you are doing to the ball when you force your hand to do things with the racquet. Much of what you did simply came from your swing path or the way you swung the racquet (WW).

When players start micromanaging their swing down to the wrist, you are really asking for problems in the long run.