PDA

View Full Version : Yonex YY7500 (gold)

naylor
12-27-2009, 02:48 PM
I've just discovered two frames (one grip size 4, white buttcap; the other grip size 5, green buttcap), both strung in gut and still with their original black leather Yonex grips - and I also have their original covers. Both frames are used - the last rackets I bought and played with before I gave up tennis for 25 years, so they must date from c. 1980.

I have googled the model (and the green 8500 - I played one of those also, around that time) but found surprisingly little about them, even on the Yonex history site. Does anyone know when they were launched / discontinued, and any major players who used them - and won slams or other major tournaments with them? Off memory, I think Tony Roche used a green 8500 - any others?

Thanks!

Michael Weiner
12-29-2009, 04:44 PM
I have a copy of "The Tennis Catalog," which was published in 1978.

The following is the description the book has for the YY 8500 (green-colored) and YY 7500 (gold-colored):

These Yonex aluminum rackets are made of drawn tubes. Such metal can be bent, crimped, shaped and welded, then heat-treated to arrive at a desired combination of strength and rigidity. The label 'O.P.S.' on the shaft of these rackets means 'Oval Pressed Shaft," the process Yonex uses to vary the cross-section shape at various points in the frame--flat oval in the shaft, round in the throat, channeled in the head-- for maximum playability. To form the handle, wood pallets are glued and bolted to the frame and wrapped in plush leather. The qualities Yonex cites in these rackets include torque-resistant structure, low wind resistance, and the shock-absorbing combination of the string pattern, wood pallets, and O.P.S. configuration. The green-toned 8500 is made of a slightly harder alloy and is a stiffer racket. The gold-colored 7500 is tuned for more flexibility. Both sell for about $55.

Virginia
12-29-2009, 07:06 PM
That's really interesting, Michael. I have two green YY 8500's and another similar looking model, that actually looks more silver than gold. Would that still be the YY 7500?

Michael Weiner
12-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes, Virginia, it's probably a 7500.

I don't own a 7500 or 8500 but I have a Yonex 8700. It looks very similar to the 7500 and 8500. The big difference is that the 8700 is copper in color and has a burnt-orange, plastic throat piece.

Michael

Virginia
12-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks, Michael. I just checked my racquet list and I see that I have the silver/gold racquet down as a 7500, so it must have had a sticker at some point, which is now missing.

coachrick
01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks, Michael. I just checked my racquet list and I see that I have the silver/gold racquet down as a 7500, so it must have had a sticker at some point, which is now missing.

Yes, Virginia, those stickers peeled off easily. They were located just above the handle on the outside of the frame...you may have had a serial number on one sticker, as well.

Michael, the Yonex models that had the nylon/plastic/zytel throat piece never really caught on in the States. Most of them came late 70s to early/mid 80s and Martina's R22 was the hottest model in '84. The R22,R7, R10 and other graphite composites fairly well knocked out the aluminum line.(Actually, the 'corners' of the aluminum Yonex frames of the day held up much better than the composite models. Many, many R22s were returned with cracked corners at the top of the hoop.) I have a Glaflex aluminum frame from the 70s...it also has the 'plastic' throat piece. I still hit with my 8500 each time I go to the court!

BTW, the butt cap on the wooden handles was white on most rackets...the switch to green w/white YY happened with the change to the foam handles, IIRC.

coachrick
01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I have a copy of "The Tennis Catalog," which was published in 1978.

The following is the description the book has for the YY 8500 (green-colored) and YY 7500 (gold-colored):
The gold-colored 7500 is tuned for more flexibility.

Both sell for about $55.[/I]

Another BTW...Initially, all the 7500 and 8500 models came to us prestrung. When the rackets caught on and folks wanted to install strings of their choosing, the unstrung frames cost the shop only about $2 less than the strung rackets. A bit tough to explain to the customer.(I believe we priced the unstrung frame only $5 less than the strung rackets)