PDA

View Full Version : Lucic makes her comeback....

Andrew.
04-22-2005, 07:15 AM
99 Wimbledon semifinalist Mirjana Lucic played her first pro match in a year this week, losing in the 1r of Dothan to #6 seed Sequera 6-3 6-2. I hope this is a serious attempt, not like her last one...

tennissavy
04-22-2005, 07:42 AM
I have been wondering about her for years. The last time I saw her was against Serena Williams and I am not even sure where, maybe Wimbledon. Anyway she hit the ball so hard that williams, at times, looked totally outclassed. I am talking about screaming winners. The huge problem with Lucic was that so few of her groundies stayed in the court. She gave the match away with errors and it wasn't even a close match due to her sloppy play. She was like Fernando Gonzalez but with even less control. Although, she didn't show much variety, only ball crushing, she could seriously threaten the top women if she could tame her strokes.

Andrew.
04-22-2005, 08:07 AM
No doubt Lucic is the harest hitting woman ever. When her shots go in, it can be amazing. At Wimbledon 99 against Graf for a good set and a half it really looked like she'd be in the final. Daddie ruined her life though. She ended up getting absolutely huge and stopped training.

She's playing doubles too, so it could be that the comeback this time really is legit...

larrhall
04-22-2005, 08:16 AM
I hope she gives it a good try. I saw her practice with Graf at the old Indian Wells site about '98. Graf was herself making a comeback. Not only was it educational, to say the least, to say how hard Steffi worked on the practice court, but Lucic's power was quite evident. By 'how hard Steffi worked' I mean both alertness and how she constantly moved her feet, even in a low-key practice session. I hope Lucic becomes more than just one more example of how tennis parents ruin the prodigy they help create in the first place.

tennissavy
04-22-2005, 08:50 AM
andrew.: did Lucic lose the match to sequera due to errors? Does she train at Bollittieri's, in Florida?

Andrew.
04-22-2005, 08:56 AM
andrew.: did Lucic lose the match to sequera due to errors? Does she train at Bollittieri's, in Florida?
I don't know, I didn't see the match.

I don't believe she trains at Bollittieri's anymore. She lives in Tampa full time now though.

scoot
04-22-2005, 09:01 AM
I'm glad she's on her way back.

She was the 1st player ever to win her debut WTA tournament (Bol - red clay) I believe when she was 15 years old. She defended that title the next year.

I remember Steffi saying she was the future of womens tennis. Novotna played her one year at the USO ('97 or '98) and after beating her said she hit harder than anyone she ever played.

Then she had to escape her crazy dad, ballooned out of shape & never was heard from again. I wonder what she's been up to for the past 4 years (I havent heard about her for at least that long). I hope she's gotten her life together. She was the breadwinner of the family I believe.

tennissavy
04-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Andrew.,
Last month ran into gils looked like Lucic, denied being tennis player, had accent and was with group. of guys who looked like they belonged at Bollittieri's academy. I guess I'll never know if it was her but didn't want to be recognized. Anyway, how can I find info on the match with sequera with stats, photos of Lucic...? Thanks

Andrew.
04-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Andrew.,
Last month ran into gils looked like Lucic, denied being tennis player, had accent and was with group. of guys who looked like they belonged at Bollittieri's academy. I guess I'll never know if it was her but didn't want to be recognized. Anyway, how can I find info on the match with sequera with stats, photos of Lucic...? Thanks
It was a Challenger, so you'll probably never find the match stats.

tennisnj
04-22-2005, 10:41 AM
I met her through a former tennis student of mine about 6 years ago @ the US Open. My tennis student was Croatian, like her, & she let us follow her around the grounds for awhile & signed autographs & then went for a hitting session w/another Croatian player. She certainly was pleasant & very accomodating to both her fellow country-mate & me, the tag-along. I wish her nothing but the best in her comeback.

MusterFan
04-22-2005, 11:31 AM
I was at the Dothan tournament Sunday through Thursday, and saw most of Lucic vs. Sequera on Wednesday. Though Mirjana has lost a lot of weight, she's still a big girl in both height and build. Dwarfed Sequera. Lucic hit the ball very cleanly. When her shots stayed in, they resulted in a lot of winners. Unfortunately, though, many of her strokes sailed wide and/or long. She absolutely pounds everything. No finesse. No touch. Just raw power. Dothan is a clay event, and Sequera is a good counterpunching dirtballer, so Mirjana's hit-or-miss style was a poor fit. I'd characterize her loss as talented self-destruction.

On a sidenote, Ashley Harkleroad was also in Dothan. Looks better than ever (thinner and blonder). She lost in a second round three-setter. Harkleroad has a long climb back, but I feel more hope for her than Lucic. I sat with Ashley's dad and her new hubby Alex Bogomolov during the match. Both are VERY approachable and down-to-earth guys without a shred of pretense. Ashley seems to have the support system (and youth) that Mirjana lacks.

Andrew.
04-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Mirjana has the youth. That's what's so frustrating about her. All of her career achievements came between the ages of 15 and 17. She's only 22 now. She can get back to a top 100 level if she wanted to with her power alone. Consistency is what she needs alot of help with.

Thanks for your report. You're right, Sequera would be a hideous matchup for Mirjana. That's her style. It's either an amazing winner, or miles out. Sigh. I just want her back playing again. Did she at least look happy? Because by the US Open 03 she looked like she wanted to kill herself on court.

MusterFan
04-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Andrew., my bad concerning Mirjana's age. Didn't bother checking her bio. I just assumed she was on up there. Only 22? Wow! Seems like she's been around forever.

It had to be a frustrating loss for Lucic, but there were no tantrums or signs of despair. All business. Maybe she's enjoying herself more. Or, perhaps she just doesn't care as much as she once did. It's hard to tell.

Mirjana appeared at the same Dothan event last year (losing first round). Has she plateaued at this level? Like you, I hope not.

Andrew.
04-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Andrew., my bad concerning Mirjana's age. Didn't bother checking her bio. I just assumed she was on up there. Only 22? Wow! Seems like she's been around forever.

It had to be a frustrating loss for Lucic, but there were no tantrums or signs of despair. All business. Maybe she's enjoying herself more. Or, perhaps she just doesn't care as much as she once did. It's hard to tell.

Mirjana appeared at the same Dothan event last year (losing first round). Has she plateaued at this level? Like you, I hope not.
I don't know what's happening with her...she didn't play an event between Dothan last year and Dothan this year. It's strange, because Dothan isn't just a tournament you'd pick out of nowhere. It's not exactly close to her home...

The thing is that she's always been like this. She's streaky as all hell. At Wimbledon in 99 she saved match points to a random player in the 2r then beat Seles two rounds later. When she's playing well and keeping a decent number of shots in the court, she's amazing. At her best, she's top 10 quality no doubt. But, she plays like that possibly twice a season. Her usual self makes too many errors, but shows flashes of brilliance. That's why she is where she is now. Plus, her head is really screwed up because of Daddie, and for a while, and probably even now, she lacked all motivation.

K!ck5w3rvE
04-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Mustn't be a great tourney if Sequera is the #6 seed.....who is that?

Andrew.
04-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Mustn't be a great tourney if Sequera is the #6 seed.....who is that?
It's a challenger. I don't know what you would expect.

Sequera is best known for one tournament, Quebec City 03. She beat Pierce easily in the semis there, and then had to retire in the final after she fell and broke her foot. She was ranked as high as the mid-70's at one point.

Serena2
04-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Hey, I think Lucic is great!

The match she played against Venus in the 1st round US open 02 blew me away even though she lost 6-0, 6-0. She literally hits the cover off the ball!! I thought Pierce hit it hard but Lucic is something else!!

Whoever saw the match she played this week-do you know what racket she was using?? I know she was using the Prince triple threat rebel, so was wondering if she had changed to the tour diablo or a completlety different brand?

Anyone know of anymore tournaments shell be playing in or how to find out??

Andrew.
04-23-2005, 01:46 PM
She's going to be playing a bunch of $10K's over in Europe.

Serena2
04-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey thanx for letting me know-how du find out? any ideas about her racket?

Serena2
04-24-2005, 12:35 PM
anybody know?

Andrew.
04-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Well, Sequera won the tournament, so not a very bad loss afterall. :p

Gary Britt
04-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Harkleroad is married? Isn't she just a kid?

Gary Britt

Serena2
04-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Repeat-Lucic Racket anyone?

drp2345
04-30-2005, 02:43 PM
I was at Bolletieri's Academy last July (2004) and saw Lucic playing there. She does hit very hard and strikes the ball pretty cleanly. I don't know if she still goes there though. At that time, I don't remember the racquet she was using but it was a prince racquet. She also had the big green prince racquet bag. I also saw Pierce playing while there. The first day I was there I was walking back to my dorm/condo's and I got lost so I accidently went to the wrong dorm/condo's and right near the one that I walked into was Mary Pierce...She was like 10-15 ft. infront of the dorm/condo that i walked into. It seemed like she was waiting for her hitting partner. After I realized i had walked into the wrong condo thing i was leaving and Mary Pierce looked at me and we made eye contact so maybe I accidently did walk into her condo or something. Afterwards isaw her hitting at the "ndoor courts"that they had there. Pierce hits really hard too!

Andrew.
04-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Pierce hits very hard, but Lucic hits harder. When she's on, it's scary.

apothnyc
04-30-2005, 10:37 PM
An interesting study that Lucic....I saw her play up close a few years ago at the US Open...once at 17 and another time (30 lbs later) in qualifying at 19. There were always grumblings by the press that questoned her age....and I have to agree that that was the oldest looking 19 year old i have ever seen. Can't wait to see what she looks like these days....at this rate she should look like Wendy Turnbull. Anyhoo I did kinda like her go for broke style...but her conditioning was not up to snuff. Glad to see her back though. I predict a Pierce/Lucic final at Wimbledon.

drp2345
05-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Thats exactly what I thought. She looked to old to be a pro...at the time i didn't know who she was and then i realized later on. Shes still young to! All the players look older than they really are. I think thats what being out in the sun all day long does to you.

Orson Welles
12-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Just to update everyone on Lucic. I was at Bollieterri's last summer (2005) and saw her working out there. She still hits a great ball and didn't look particularly overweight. The disturbing thing about it was that she seemed to be hanging out with and working out with some players who could not be serious pros. The guy she was hitting with was o.k. but he would probably be ranked number 44 in the Florida 16's if he was lucky. She was sort of ordering him around. One Bollietierri guy told me that IMG has now cut her off financially and so he wasn't sure what she was living on financially particularly with all these hanger-ons around her.

Is it possible that the reason she goes to Doha every year is that the rich Arabs pay her a nice appearance fee that she obviously needs?

croatian sensation
12-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I really hope she will make a comeback...I haven't heard anything about her here for I don't know how long...seems like she's completely forgotten in Croatia.
Daddy quite messed up her life...it's gonna be great if she finds the motivation and uses her talent to play some serious matches and get back where she belongs.

Fee
12-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Pretty sure she hung it up for good this past summer. I think I read that in Wertheim's column. Or maybe it was Tennis-x. Hmmmm....

pound cat
12-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Venezurlan, pro since 1999, rank 160 05.

Fee
12-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Okay, slap me with a wet noodle. I have confused Mirjana Lucic and Iva Majoli. Majoli is out of the game. This is why I so rarely comment on the women's game (because I don't really pay any attention to it).

As you were soldiers...