PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Injury

Ilanchess
12-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi

I was playing a couple days ago and i felt something in my ankle when I was playing. After, it started hurting a lot more, and i was limping for a couple days, although now it's improving, but still hurts a little. I was thinking the reason this happened was because of my running shoes used for tennis, which could have caused a sprained ankle.In fact, I've been using running shoes for half a year for tennis and sometimes when i played i felt my ankle a bit, but it did not seem serious,unlike now. Also over the summer, I got a stress fracture on the same ankle, and could that be coming back if it did not heal properly? I am 18 years old, and I'm avoiding tennis or any physical activity besides work from now on to heal.

If it is a sprained ankle, how long will it take before i can start hitting again?( I have some ankle supports)

And also,is the probability it's a stress fracture hire given my symptoms( limping first couple days, hurt when walking) which have improved to minimal pain and minimal limping in a couple days?

I am really nervous because my season starts in 2.5 weeks and I don't want to miss any practices.

Also, my tennis shoes are coming in tomorrow and im seeing the doctor next week.

volusiano
12-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Usually if you sprain your ankle from an incident, you'd know why and you'd feel right away and you'd probably get some swelling with it. In your case it sounds like something started out small and became more serious quickly, so it may not just be a simple sprain.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things to try to fix the problem like rest and buying tennis shoes and seeing a doctor. I wouldn't try to wear the ankle brace with the running shoes because it might have been the running shoes that caused the problem in the first place.

Ilanchess
12-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks.

Any other thoughts?

Today the pain completely went away when i walk.

kamsom2009
12-30-2009, 06:15 PM
I fell off a chair I was standing on and fractured my ankle. I went to the ER and now have a cast that goes from my foot to just below the knee. I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on December 31st. I have had several injuries to this ankle and have torn tendons and ligaments before in this foot/ankle before. I know the past injuries make it weak and prone to injury again. I have several questions.

1- Why would you need to see an ortho surgeon if it is just a simple fracture? 2- Could there be more damage than what the ER doctor told me? Could that be why they want me to see a surgeon? 3. Could the previous injuries to the ankle, tendons, and ligaments be the reason for the referal to the surgeon?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. You can also respond via email at broken_angel_in_texas@yahoo.com. Just put webmd in the subject line. Thanks.

Ilanchess
01-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Part II

I went to the doctor, he said it was a mild ankle sprain and I can resume tennis but I should be cautious. He ruled out a stress fracture through taking an x ray.

I still "feel" my ankle when i walk sometimes though, and more so when I run.

My first practice is Jan 13, would I be ready to practice?( I sprained in Dec. 25)

And what should I do for practices? tape it, put a brace on?

Any advice would be amazingly helpful.

Thanks

Ennismt
01-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Don't wear running shoes for tennis! They are made for forward motion, not side to side.

See your doctor if you are really concerned, particularly if there is swelling. Otherwise rest, ice, compression and elevation as needed. Maybe an anti-inflammatory. Don't play too soon or your healing will not be complete. Let pain be your guide. But you should not feel any while playing, maybe after.