PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a junior size or reg size for my 11 yrs old?

btlt4
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi All,

Our 11 yrs old boy is a shorter kid and we don't think his growth rate would change surprisingly soon. He has been playing with Babolat APDC regular size OK for a year, his rating is about 3.0. We are thinking of getting him a newer racquet and contemplating between a Babolat Pure Drive GT in Junior size (26in) instead of regular size 27in. We are demo'ing but the local store doesn't have one in Junior.

Can someone enlight us?

Thanks,

--Btlt

subz
12-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I have played with the PD GT in regular size, its a good racquet with nice top spin potential. At junior level, topspin is more critical since they are shorter and clearing the net with control while remaining in control over the shot is essential. PD GT weight is around 11.2 oz and its 6 pt HL, though it felt more hefty to me. Like so many people have said before, the racquet feels very solid. However, it is a stiff frame, so my arm started to hurt after 30 minutes, its felx rating is 70, whereas I am used to flex of 58. But I am 27 year old, so my joints cant handle a stiff racquet :)

About the racquet lenght, if he is used to playing with a regular size, perhaps it okay to continue using the reqular size. See what the other kids around them are using and what does the coach says...

subz
12-28-2009, 01:13 PM
I have played with the PD GT in regular size, its a good racquet with nice top spin potential. At junior level, topspin is more critical since they are shorter and clearing the net with control while remaining in control over the shot is essential. PD GT weight is around 11.2 oz and its 6 pt HL, though it felt more hefty to me. Like so many people have said before, the racquet feels very solid. However, it is a stiff frame, so my arm started to hurt after 30 minutes, its felx rating is 70, whereas I am used to flex of 58. But I am 27 year old, so my joints cant handle a stiff racquet :)

About the racquet lenght, if he is used to playing with a regular size, perhaps it okay to continue using the reqular size. See what the other kids around them are using and what does the coach says...

One error, PDGT is 4 pt HL not 6

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Drive_GT/descpageRCBAB-BPDGT.html

mike53
12-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi All,

Our 11 yrs old boy is a shorter kid and we don't think his growth rate would change surprisingly soon. He has been playing with Babolat APDC regular size OK for a year, his rating is about 3.0. We are thinking of getting him a newer racquet and contemplating between a Babolat Pure Drive GT in Junior size (26in) instead of regular size 27in. We are demo'ing but the local store doesn't have one in Junior.

Can someone enlight us?

Thanks,

--Btlt

I'm shorter myself and I think a longer racquet is actually better for a shorter person. Ditto on the heavier racquet as long as long as your son is not having any problems with the weight of the regular racquet. Most people lead them up as they get older and better anyway. For me, they question is whether or not the smallest grip size on the regular racquet is too large for your son's hand. In that case, he might need the slighty smaller grip on the jr racquet.

tennis005
12-28-2009, 01:47 PM
as long as long????

OrangeOne
12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm shorter myself and I think a longer racquet is actually better for a shorter person. Ditto on the heavier racquet as long as long as your son is not having any problems with the weight of the regular racquet. Most people lead them up as they get older and better anyway. For me, they question is whether or not the smallest grip size on the regular racquet is too large for your son's hand. In that case, he might need the slighty smaller grip on the jr racquet.

Aaargh. These boards are terrible sometimes! Most people do not lead them up! Sometimes I think that these boards should be renamed the 'add a little lead' boards. I have a fraction of lead on my PDGT, and I am a solid player, a coach, etc etc...and the only person I've ever met in real life to lead up a PDGT! I've only done it as I've come backwards from 330-340+ gram frames over the last few years.

Most people buy a frame and play with it completely stock, full-stop, end of story.

As to the Original Question - a smaller 11 year old - definitely go the 26" for a year or two. Gives him real spin & racquet head speed potential, as we all know these elements are key to the modern game. You don't want a slightly big & heavy frame meaning that he hits overly flat, late, and drags the frame through slowly, it'll only mean relearning the game when hee grows. I've seen this happen, it's a shame when kids are using something too big too early.

When puberty kicks in and he grows up & out a little, the move to the 27" will be easy. There are so many good 26's out there. I suppose I should add that if you're sold on the idea of a 27"....there are so many in a more appropriate weight range than APDC/PDGT - in the 250-280g range that are still decent tennis racquets...

armsty
12-28-2009, 02:32 PM
11 years old? Depends on size, strength and tecnique. I would reccomend a junior unless he's a bit bigger than the average 11 year old.